blackdogbro

58441 Rough Rider "Buggy Champ" Re-release

and did you use an esc with lipo cut off or just wait until it slowed?

Low voltage is not a problem for Li-Fe batteries, they have a low limit, but the car will have slowed significantly before the battery reaches that limit. Because Li-Fe is more or less idiot proof is why Tamiya have gone for them rather than Lipo.

Low voltage is not a problem for Li-Fe batteries, they have a low limit, but the car will have slowed significantly before the battery reaches that limit. Because Li-Fe is more or less idiot proof is why Tamiya have gone for them rather than Lipo.

Terry, this is a stupid 'newbie' question ... I've searched quite a bit on the website here and am getting conflicting posts. So, can you tell me whether I will be able to run higher battery packs that what I'm currently running ........ ie (Tamiya 6.6V LF1100) in my BC...and if so is this going to give me a longer run time or power or both?? I'm assuming a longer run time.

I see it says not to let it go below 4v's on instructions, so you think it will be ok to use a stock tamiya esc? and stop as soon as it slows down really i guess!

Terry, this is a stupid 'newbie' question ... I've searched quite a bit on the website here and am getting conflicting posts. So, can you tell me whether I will be able to run higher battery packs that what I'm currently running ........ ie (Tamiya 6.6V LF1100) in my BC...and if so is this going to give me a longer run time or power or both?? I'm assuming a longer run time.

Terry is meaning if im correct about a lipo or life packing dropping to a low voltage can damage it, like ours says no less than 4v for the the life pack. You can run any 7.2v

pack that will fit in the BC! not sure what gives the longer runtime either here lol

Good question. Tower club members get a $60 US discount for orders over $300 US, but I've never seen $75 US.

Edit: I found the $75 US code, but it won't work. Codes are linked to the account, so if you didn't receive an email with the offer, you can't apply it. The $75 off code is for new members, apparently.

Oh well.

I think that $75 he is speaking of is Aussie Dollar $75, which comes to $60 US.

I've test fitted a Tamiya Super Modified 11T to my BC gearbox. It fitted without any modification so I'm pretty sure you can fit pretty much any 540 sized can in the BC. You'd have to be pretty nuts to use something so powerful in it. I've been recommend nothing hotter than a Sport Tuned.

Curious : what did you secure the motor with? Did the plastic end bell fit over the back?

Curious : what did you secure the motor with? Did the plastic end bell fit over the back?

I didn't secure it to be honest. The 2 small nubs inside the gearcasing are exactly where the screw points on the can are so once aligned you can push it on them and it doesn't spin. That being said I haven't put the wires through a cover and secured it down so there might be a lot of space between the end and the cover which might allow the motor to move outwards. I've posted a couple of pics on my project thread. Take a look and you'll see that I still have the wires in the original placement from when I bought it. I'm intending to put it back into my M04L so I didn't bother rewiring the motor for my SRB. As far as I can tell, if I were to redo the wires to be on opposite sides from each other the only thing that would stop the cover from going on properly is the small resistor things that I soldered on poorly (I've always had trouble soldering). If I were to redo those I'm sure the cover could go on without incident. But I'm seriously not going to use that particular motor in there. I might well be crazy enough to try ;) but that motor is heading back to where I'd ripped it out from. :lol:

your battery is a 6.6 volt with 1100 mah capacity. Mah = milli amp hours. Depending on the amount of current being drawn by motor, will determine your run time. If the motor is drawing 10 amps... time 11 min = 1100 which is your run time. To get more run time you will need a 2000 mah battery.. Etc.

Higher voltage pack will give you more power and more speed.. But not longer run time.

your battery is a 6.6 volt with 1100 mah capacity. Mah = milli amp hours. Depending on the amount of current being drawn by motor, will determine your run time. If the motor is drawing 10 amps... time 11 min = 1100 which is your run time. To get more run time you will need a 2000 mah battery.. Etc.

Higher voltage pack will give you more power and more speed.. But not longer run time.

Magic.....just the info I needed....I'll post one more question on here, then I'm done taking over this thread, sorry guys!!!

Will my TEU-101BK ESC and a 540 motor handle battery packs 7.2V 2000mah up to 4500mah etc???? The ESC instruction manual says 'Power Supply: 7.2V (with 6 cells)' so I'm assuming I'm good to go?

yes there s no restriction on the mah rating an esc can handle, as its a rating of the battery's capacity ;)

Holy S*&t ...45 mins.....that's crazy... I'm used to the old days when a 7.2V 1200 pack would last 7-8mins max!

It's hard to be sure, as it wasn;t all in one go, and not all at full speed, but off the single charge on friday 31st there was a shakedown in my back garden, a drive (at a jogging speed) across to the playground near where I live, 15 of of bashing before my son wanted to go back home for tea (currently he rides his bike to the playground and I follow behind driving an R/C car and jogging), 5 mins doughnutting on the slippery decking in the rain on thursday, and another run to bash in the playground and back on friday, all off the one charge - it had just started to noticeably slow on the way back. the vast bulk of that running was on tarmac, not much on grass.

If only there was some way of mounting a tacho on the car, I'd be interested to see how far in distance it actually works out at.

My M01 Mini goes for ages on 3000MAh as well.

Will my TEU-101BK ESC and a 540 motor handle battery packs 7.2V 2000mah up to 4500mah etc???? The ESC instruction manual says 'Power Supply: 7.2V (with 6 cells)' so I'm assuming I'm good to go?

the ESC doesn't care about the capacity of the battery, well not directly. the ESC is limited by the voltage of the battery and how many amps the motor tries to pull through it. large capacities may be a factor simply by causing the unit to overheat on a very long run, but i;m not sure how likely that would be to happen.

Magic.....just the info I needed....I'll post one more question on here, then I'm done taking over this thread, sorry guys!!!

Yes you're fine. That esc was actually designed for 7.2 volt! Life batteries are new and have a lower voltage.

Nicd/Nimh are 1.2 per cell, x 6= 7.2 volt

LiPo are 3.7 per cell, x 2= 8.4 volt

LiFe are 3.3 per cell, x 2= 6.6 volt

ps no worries about hi- jacking thread, forum is for sharing info and passing on the knowledge of this hobby so it keeps growing

TEU-101BK can handle a 25 turn motor. Anything lower will probably burn it.

Terry is meaning if im correct about a lipo or life packing dropping to a low voltage can damage it, like ours says no less than 4v for the the life pack. You can run any 7.2v

pack that will fit in the BC! not sure what gives the longer runtime either here lol

As has been said above the mah rating (for the Li-Fe battery it's 100mah) the capacity. A battery at 2200mah will run at the same speed for twice as long, just as if you stopped and changed 1100mah batteries.

The TEU101-BK will run on any battery up to 7.2 volts.

The big problem with batteries in the Buggy Champ is that normal stick packs won't fit in, they are too long to go in the radio box. You need a hump pack battery for it, shaped like this:

250_6vte3700sc-frog1.jpg

You can either find someone selling them, or most hobby shops should be able to build you a pack shaped like this from a standard stick pack.

Hi,

The $75 Tower Hobbies discount IS in USD, but it only applies to customers OUTSIDE the USA. Here is the e-mail I got from Tower:

Special Savings for International Members

12 Ways to Save Plus

Tower Hobbies understands that international members could use some extra R/C savings. Place a qualifying order and for a limted time we'll subtract up to $250.00 from the total. All you have to do is click on the appropriate ad number in the list below and it will be placed in your shopping cart. The more you order, the more you save.

If Your Order Totals: YOU SAVE Use Ad#

$100.00 - $149.99 $20.00 010YC

$150.00 - $199.99 $30.00 010YD

$200.00 - $249.99 $45.00 010YE

$250.00 - $299.99 $60.00 010YF

$300.00 - $399.99 $75.00 010YG

$400.00 - $499.99 $100.00 010YH

$500.00 - $599.99 $125.00 010YJ

$600.00 - $699.99 $150.00 010YK

$700.00 - $799.99 $175.00 010YL

$800.00 - $899.99 $200.00 010YM

$900.00 - $999.99 $225.00 010YN

$1000.00 or more $250.00 010YP

This special international offer is yours exclusively and you must order using this e-mail address. Offer is not retroactive. Please, only one promotional ad number per order.

Regards,

Luke Jenner

Finally had mine out for a spin today minus the body as im waiting on the paint! I was using i on grass that was quite hard and dry and dirt where grass had worn away, handled

pretty well i thought sure could use a diff though, it lasted about 10 mins or so until the rear axle came loose luckily didnt loose the grub screw see pic lol, and i didnt want

to discharge the 6.6v life pack to much, it has more than enough power on the dirt i think!

My other project to on going 1/4 scale supermotard that im almost finished with still go to paint it!

ARX540? nice!

Its an italian manufactuer ARX racing, very cool they do mx bikes to and can convert one to another or to nitro to! It has a weighted flywheel inside the rear wheel

that is powered by a motor and esc inside that is brushless, this keeps it up right more so lol!

Will post more pics if anyone is interested, I have alaways like rc bikes to from when young i first saw kyosho's hang on rider bikes i have one now!

and found it strange how tamiya never made an rc bike wonder why?

Its an italian manufactuer ARX racing, very cool they do mx bikes to and can convert one to another or to nitro to! It has a weighted flywheel inside the rear wheel

that is powered by a motor and esc inside that is brushless, this keeps it up right more so lol!

Will post more pics if anyone is interested, I have alaways like rc bikes to from when young i first saw kyosho's hang on rider bikes i have one now!

and found it strange how tamiya never made an rc bike wonder why?

I just checked out the new Schumacher r/c dirt bike on their website. They have links to youtube videos of the bikes on skateboard 1/4 pipes doing all sorts of weird stunts!! Looks pretty cool

As has been said above the mah rating (for the Li-Fe battery it's 100mah) the capacity. A battery at 2200mah will run at the same speed for twice as long, just as if you stopped and changed 1100mah batteries.

The TEU101-BK will run on any battery up to 7.2 volts.

The big problem with batteries in the Buggy Champ is that normal stick packs won't fit in, they are too long to go in the radio box. You need a hump pack battery for it, shaped like this:

250_6vte3700sc-frog1.jpg

You can either find someone selling them, or most hobby shops should be able to build you a pack shaped like this from a standard stick pack.

I'll got for the hump batterie!!!

It's retro, it's the thing back then and so it is now!!!

With the ol' Tamiya-plug!!!

Badboy

I think I saw someone else mention this.. steering tie rods.. the thread is too small for the ball end cap? How did you guys solve this?

Also these ball end caps come pop off real easily.. plastic is too soft.. anyone know a solution, other than rethreading for 5 mm ball ends?

I think I saw someone else mention this.. steering tie rods.. the thread is too small for the ball end cap? How did you guys solve this?

Also these ball end caps come pop off real easily.. plastic is too soft.. anyone know a solution, other than rethreading for 5 mm ball ends?

yeah..you should have an extra little bag in the kit that has another set of rods that are bigger

i asked this before but I cant find the post. where do we buy the hump packs again?

I've emailed maxamps.com requesting a 4500 mah nimh hump battery and they returned the email saying no problem. Just awaiting the quote :D.