blackdogbro

58441 Rough Rider "Buggy Champ" Re-release

Hey watch the idiot part I broke cars and kept parts and sold parts for building my cars and used profit for having aluminum parts made.

Pretty funny to see how ppl are trying to get rid of their Rough Rider/SRB parts on ebay these days ;)

From the bids, it seems like not everybody knows a re-re Rough Rider is on the way...

What are all these clowns moaning about? Cant believe they are getting upset because a car they love is getting re-re'd. An original is an original, nothing will ever change that.

Exactly - I'll always pay top dollar for an original ;).

Plus I can build and run the re're's "guilt free". Yeah !

What are all these clowns moaning about? Cant believe they are getting upset because a car they love is getting re-re'd. An original is an original, nothing will ever change that.

Im glad its getting re-released, will hopefully put the idiots on Ebay who break good cars for profit out of business. Plus it will give people the chance to re-live their youth without worrying how much its going to cost them if they crash.

For the restorers, parts will be cheaper and more readily available.

As much as i love the cars...they are just toys afterall. And ive no sympathy for anyone who has paid over the odds for parts in the past few years, it has only helped to drive prices up.

I´ve been following this thred for a couple of days now and this was the best thing anyone said so far. It´s toys for crying out loud , NOT investments objects. If you want to gamble with stuff to make a profit buy a freakin Rembrandt !!

i just like to say to anyone moaning about this re re "Do a little dance, make a little love. Get down tonight!!" )) (( )) (( :P;):lol::lol:

I really, really, really hope they don't end up calling it Buggy Champ. Please call it Rough Rider!!!

Heck, I can care less what they call it! This is my chance to get an SRB kit...

i just like to say to anyone moaning about this re re "Do a little dance, make a little love. Get down tonight!!" )) (( )) (( :lol::blink::o:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::D PMSL

Comments on the RR re-re topic become more and more embarrassing.......
Sorry if I offended You Mr Advantum but I think I have the right to have a opinion too ,or not ???

What I find embarrassing is when ppl complains on Tamiyas rere:s just because it , according to them,lowers the value on their NIB:s . So,RC enthusiasts all over the world shall not have the pleasure of driving / toying around in what they think is very cool models just because a handful of guys are sitting on NIB:es ??

I also find it embarrassing when you try to find parts for a older model and you are offered to buy the parts, from guys who runs chop-chop operations, at prices that should be considdered as usury. I have on several occations given stuff away for free and even payed for postage when I´ve seen that someone was in need of something.I wouldn´t dream of asking for hundreds of dollars for some little brackets and screws. My thoughts are that : if I bring the "make money" aspect in to it ,it´s NOT funny anymoore. Also,if one joines a club , like Tamiya Club, aren´t you supposed to help and back up eachother ??

Don´t get me wrong on one thing : I have the GREATEST respect and admiration for some members fantastic collections of NIB:es. But they have thoose collections because they have moore money than I will see in a lifetime not because they necessaraly are great builders / modelers.

Last: If someone enjoyes to sit in front of his PC:s and pine for a NIB SS going on E-bay for 3-4 or 5000 Dollars thats all fine with me,God Bless !! But if Tamiya release a re-re of it I don´t want to be called "embarrassing" because I too want to enjoy driving a SS on a sandy beach just like in thoose old commersial videos,and that is what I will do.

PS. If You use capitol letters You are shouting even louder than with just bold letters :blink:

Sorry if I offended You Mr Advantum but I think I have the right to have a opinion too ,or not ???

What I find embarrassing is when ppl complains on Tamiyas rere:s just because it , according to them,lowers the value on their NIB:s . So,RC enthusiasts all over the world shall not have the pleasure of driving / toying around in what they think is very cool models just because a handful of guys are sitting on NIB:es ??

I also find it embarrassing when you try to find parts for a older model and you are offered to buy the parts, from guys who runs chop-chop operations, at prices that should be considdered as usury. I have on several occations given stuff away for free and even payed for postage when I´ve seen that someone was in need of something.I wouldn´t dream of asking for hundreds of dollars for some little brackets and screws. My thoughts are that : if I bring the "make money" aspect in to it ,it´s NOT funny anymoore. Also,if one joines a club , like Tamiya Club, aren´t you supposed to help and back up eachother ??

Don´t get me wrong on one thing : I have the GREATEST respect and admiration for some members fantastic collections of NIB:es. But they have thoose collections because they have moore money than I will see in a lifetime not because they necessaraly are great builders / modelers.

Last: If someone enjoyes to sit in front of his PC:s and pine for a NIB SS going on E-bay for 3-4 or 5000 Dollars thats all fine with me,God Bless !! But if Tamiya release a re-re of it I don´t want to be called "embarrassing" because I too want to enjoy driving a SS on a sandy beach just like in thoose old commersial videos,and that is what I will do.

PS. If You use capitol letters You are shouting even louder than with just bold letters :lol:

Bravo, my good man, bravo. You echo my sentiments perfectly! This is a fun hobby and always should be treated as such.

When we were younger, did anyone ever look at a (insert your favorite Tamiya model here, for me it would be the Wild One :lol: ) and think "Wow, I can't wait to get hundreds of dollars for this someday"? Like Cinnamon, I do not begrudge anybody who would find a kit they always wanted and put up big bucks to obtain it. I choose not to because I cannot afford that type of luxury.

This is why re-releases are so important to us. It let's us travel back to a time when we may not have been able to afford a certain model we always wanted, only to discover that we can indeed afford it this time. It's all about perspective, and my perspective is to let everyone have a piece of their childhood back! If people cannot handle that then so be it!

Mr. Tamiya, bring on all of the re-releases you got!!!!!! We can take it.......... :blink:

Mark D.

Comments on the RR re-re topic become more and more embarrassing.......

Advantum would you please elaborate on what you mean by embarrassing.....for who exactly. And your reply on the vintage forum [subaru Brat Decals thread] comes across rather rude. The Brat is a vintage model, so I don't see any problem if someone has a query regarding the re-release within it. If you believe someone has submitted a post incorrectly, inform a moderator who will happily move it. The TC forum should be seen as a friendly place, the tone of your messages may deter some from posting.

I think those who are jumping up and down rubbing their hands in glee at the discomfort of "collectors" upset at the re-re of this car have got the wrong end of the stick. Most seem to think that these collectors are only doing so in order to make money on an “investment”. Not so. Usually the largest investment in these cars has been time and effort in finding the parts and restoring a basket-case to new condition. The reward is the satisfaction of owning something that is the result of hours of hard work, skill and, sometimes, luck. A large part of of this is the ‘thrill of the chase’, hunting down rare parts, making a bargain boot-sale find, digging out a long-lost box in the attic etc. We have all seen threads in the forums detailing these.

Consider then what the thread will say now – “Oh, I went down to my LHS and bought one of these…” Not very exciting or even very interesting really. There won’t be any incentive to patch up that old body broken into 4 parts when you can just go buy a new one for a few dollars.

Don’t get me wrong – I don’t think this re-release is a bad thing. I think there are enough differences to be able to differentiate between a genuine Rough Rider and a new Buggy Champ. Some of the parts will be interchangeable which will help in restorations, and satisfy those who are on a limited budget.

Of course it is disappointing to those who have spent a fortune on cars and parts, but I’d like to think that the level of intelligence of our group is above thinking that these toys are some sort of financial security. They are toys, Tamiya is in the business of making money from producing them, and they can and will spit out any one of their back catalogue as their marketing people see fit.

Don’t be fooled into thinking that there is some sort of sentimental “let’s please the fans” behind this release. Try “Lets make some money, what will sell right now?…” Anniversaries are always a good time to cash in.

I don’t really have a “thing” for SRBs. I do have a few of them, but most are on the long-term ‘project’ pile. This release will just make it easier for me to get bits and save me the time and effort patching up old chassis and bodies.

But it will also take away the desire to spend the time and effort on these cars and the end result will have less “value” to me. Easy come – easy go as they say.

There will still be the incentive to customise and hop-up, and that’s where the excitement and interest will lie. There is also the fact that these are hard-bodied cars, with all-metal chassis parts, not lexan and plastic.

I’d like to see the Scorcher re-released because I need parts for mine. But then I’d like to see something new – another off-roader or buggy body in the same way Tamiya bought out the Tundra bodied 3-speed after re-using two existing bodies. I guess that will depend on whether sales of a heavy, poorly handling chassis are high enough to justify continued production. Let’s hope that there are enough of us nostalgia freaks out there, that know how to use a screwdriver and a spanner, who will buy these in quantities enough to make them financially viable for Tamiya. My guess is that they already have the production and marketing plan in place for the next year or two.

I’m also curious about these people who think that the rich people have been hoarding all the original RRs and SSs at the expense of “ordinary people who want to re-live their childhoods”. Surely it’s a supply-and-demand thing. If lots of people want them, and there are few available, then the price will go up. Applies to NIB kits as much as runners and parts, and anything else in this world. If you have something that someone else is willing to pay money for – why not sell it to them? No-one is forcing them to buy it. If you want to play with an expensive toy you have to pay it’s price.

Of course they will no longer be so expensive now.

Just my 2c worth.

I think those who are jumping up and down rubbing their hands in glee at the discomfort of "collectors" upset at the re-re of this car have got the wrong end of the stick..

I've not noticed anyone doing this.

I've not noticed anyone doing this.

You're right. They're all over on the other thread about the Buggy Champ. I must have taken a wrong turn while I was typing this...

"I think those who are jumping up and down rubbing their hands in glee at the discomfort of "collectors" upset at the re-re of this car have got the wrong end of the stick. Most seem to think that these collectors are only doing so in order to make money on an “investment”. Not so. Usually the largest investment in these cars has been time and effort in finding the parts and restoring a basket-case to new condition. The reward is the satisfaction of owning something that is the result of hours of hard work, skill and, sometimes, luck. A large part of of this is the ‘thrill of the chase’, hunting down rare parts, making a bargain boot-sale find, digging out a long-lost box in the attic etc. We have all seen threads in the forums."

Cry me a river

I don’t really have a “thing” for SRBs. I do have a few of them, but most are on the long-term ‘project’ pile. This release will just make it easier for me to get bits and save me the time and effort patching up old chassis and bodies.

So now your for the re-release.

"I’m also curious about these people who think that the rich people have been hoarding all the original RRs and SSs at the expense of “ordinary people who want to re-live their childhoods”. Surely it’s a supply-and-demand thing."

Sure supply-and-demand plays a role. But, there have been many that have gloated or boasted that they have "the largest collection of this. The largest collection of that." You can't just cover up the behavior of hording with that excuse.

These re-releases are great news. Tamiya is finally going back to what made them a household name. No offense but Personally, I could care less about all those whiners and hypocrites who dropped a tone of coin to be in the "exclusive" club. Mr. Tamiya should care even less; and apparently he does :blink:

I'm not sure this re-re will have all that much impact on the prices of a complete SRB or an NIB original. It is likely to have a big affect on parts pricing, which is great for the real collectors out there that might not be able to afford the £100+ for a decent radio box. In fact, prices of complete originals could actually go up if the re-re fuels nostalgic demand.

Imagine all of the partially complete SRB's that can now get completed too. That's great isn't it ?

It's also convinced me to take out my original 1980's SS out bashing again, even if (for the moment) only with the Blitzer shell on it. I wonder how many others will also start dusting off shelfers and attic-queens.

Again, I think that's a great thing - all good for the hobby.

im even considering not buying this kit and just getting a hopefully now much cheaper second hand SRB chassis after this re release and restoring it replacing anything missing with new parts. last time i looked a complete(ish) SRB in a bad state was anywhere from £100 to £150. im hoping this will now go down to £50 - £75? if not ill just buy the kit, but i much prefer restoring old stuff to a NIB kit. i have a blitzer shell, original nose cone and all the trimmings that needs a home :blink:

There will be some things that will preserve the originality of the OG rough rider; the gearbox is either a new mold to accept the modern 540's diff. size or they have made a new smaller motor to fit the old style gearbox, the front tires are not sand blaster jrs like the original, the decals, the shocks, the front uprights are different especially if your include the mk1 with the screws in them, chassis plates, axles, box art perhaps though I don't think we have seen the final version yet. I recently(3 weeks ago) bought a new built RR for $500. Was I than disappointed at the news of the re-re? Yes and NO; I never intended to keep the RR as is. I took the parts I needed and wanted as spares and planed to sell the rest. This move has been hastended with the news of the re-re but other than that my plans hadn't changed drastically. The news has made me hold off on buying anymore srbs for the moment as tamiya has now shown us any model is possible for re-release. Unless I see a particulary interesting one, I will be saving the money to buy a re-re. This is what has me excited; the opportunity to build one from the ground up! This is what the re-re's are doing; allowing more people to relive their childhood, dreams etc or perhaps they are seeing it for the first time and it sparks an interest or obsession! I think this is a great move on tamiya's part and I say bring back more tamiya, bring back more.......please!

Again, I think that's a great thing - all good for the hobby.

oh what will them purists say... when the Buggy Champ goes XB RTR ;) ...?!?

I pre-order mine at my LHS ;)

They are really hoping for a 250CAD price range but they are thinking it'll be $400 with all those castings ;)

Funny thing is they said everyone who order said they would get two if the Buggy Champ cost $250

oh what will them purists say... when the Buggy Champ goes XB RTR ;) ...?!?

the purists will be slitting their pure wrists when it goes..........QD :-)