blackdogbro

58441 Rough Rider "Buggy Champ" Re-release

I would think the topic of the actual Rough Rider buggy rerelease has been lost here. There are threads on the rere vs original, nib vs building etc. Do we have nothing left to talk about on the actual buggy ?

I pre-order mine at my LHS ;)

They are really hoping for a 250CAD price range but they are thinking it'll be $400 with all those castings ;)

Funny thing is they said everyone who order said they would get two if the Buggy Champ cost $250

Which LHS is that ? Do share !

I would think the topic of the actual Rough Rider buggy rerelease has been lost here. There are threads on the rere vs original, nib vs building etc. Do we have nothing left to talk about on the actual buggy ?

I start!

Whats new on the Buggy Champ?

What I've seen so far:

Front swayarms!!!

Black chassie

Snad Blaster JR R.I.P!!!

New shocks

Obvius new Boxart and new name

More..?

Badboy

I start!

What I've seen so far:

Front swayarms!!!

Black chassie

Snad Blaster JR R.I.P!!!

New shocks

More..?

Badboy

OK,I follow Badboy !! What does it take to convert a RR / Buggy Champ chassie into a Ford Ranger chassie ?? Are the wheels for the Ranger the same as the Brat ones ?? And are the Brat wheels a direct fit to the RR chassie ?

Must have missed that. Is there a pic in a thread here showing them ??

All pics on the front, if you look closely!

The screw is on the upper side not front (the screw is where the spring is attached on the swayarm) You dig? I don't ;);):o

PICT0007-1.jpg

OK,I follow Badboy !! What does it take to convert a RR / Buggy Champ chassie into a Ford Ranger chassie ?? Are the wheels for the Ranger the same as the Brat ones ?? And are the Brat wheels a direct fit to the RR chassie ?

Yes! They are the original RR tyres used on both Ranger and Brat!

The RR is 5 spoke rims (star) 5 bolts and Ranger/brat is a 8 spoke rim 4 bolts.

To convert you need tyres and rims, front body post and new rollbar/rear body mount. And a body of course!

Badboy

A bit late to add my 2 cents, but here goes.

Personally I'm not interested in this. I'm one of those "collectors", like most of them we like to buy the originals because we want them, not because we plan on selling our collections at some point in the future. The whole point of vintage collecting is finding the old cars, then spending time (not money!) in getting the parts needed to restore it again. Collecting SRBs was killed off a couple of years ago when "restoring" became buying a car, then buying the parts needed from the large selection on ebay.

The best part is(apart from being able to buy a nib rough rider again) that people will stop breaking rough rider for spares on ebay.
A definite plus. The more originals kept in one piece the better. I will still be looking for original parts for mine though and killing off the breakers will make it more of an effort to find them.

Cry me a river
Right, this comment I'm not happy about. If you can't respect the opinions of others there are plenty of other forums where that attitude is the norm, we don't want it here.
Sure supply-and-demand plays a role. But, there have been many that have gloated or boasted that they have "the largest collection of this. The largest collection of that." You can't just cover up the behavior of hording with that excuse.
You'll notice the comment you have made is everything to do with the size of the collection, nothing to do with the value, which a lot of the non "collectors" seem to focus on while us collectors couldn't care less about the value as we have no intention of selling them. My collection runs to around 150 cars right now. Many of them are very rare, quite a few of them are unique. On the other hand 3 or 4 NIB Bruisers would be worth more than my 150 cars.
No offense but Personally, I could care less about all those whiners and hypocrites who dropped a tone of coin to be in the "exclusive" club. Mr. Tamiya should care even less; and apparently he does ;)
No offense but I couldn't care less about all those lazy whiners who are making a big deal about the fact some vintage fans have done whatever they can to get hold of the cars they wanted to have. If any of these people complaining about not having an original had wanted one enough they would have done what they needed to to get one. Personally I have 4 SRBs, 3 of them came from hunting them down at car boot sales, the other was bought off a local racer. The 4 of them have cost me a grand total of £150. You aren't going to find a bargain by looking on ebay and moaning about the prices on there.

Good point, I will leave that disscussion alone now..

I have a couple of questions, is the motor a std 540? Is there any reason other than making a custom pack that you shouldn't run these on 7.2v?

I think those who are jumping up and down rubbing their hands in glee at the discomfort of "collectors" upset at the re-re of this car have got the wrong end of the stick. Most seem to think that these collectors are only doing so in order to make money on an “investment”. Not so. Usually the largest investment in these cars has been time and effort in finding the parts and restoring a basket-case to new condition. The reward is the satisfaction of owning something that is the result of hours of hard work, skill and, sometimes, luck. A large part of of this is the ‘thrill of the chase’, hunting down rare parts, making a bargain boot-sale find, digging out a long-lost box in the attic etc. We have all seen threads in the forums detailing these.
This covers exactly what vintage collecting is all about. It has absolutely nothing to do with the value of the kits.
Of course it is disappointing to those who have spent a fortune on cars and parts, but I’d like to think that the level of intelligence of our group is above thinking that these toys are some sort of financial security. They are toys, Tamiya is in the business of making money from producing them, and they can and will spit out any one of their back catalogue as their marketing people see fit.
I question the level of intelligence of those who think that people collect these as an investment. The way to make money has been proven to be either splitting cars or picking up bargains locally and putting them on ebay.
I’m also curious about these people who think that the rich people have been hoarding all the original RRs and SSs at the expense of “ordinary people who want to re-live their childhoods”. Surely it’s a supply-and-demand thing. If lots of people want them, and there are few available, then the price will go up. Applies to NIB kits as much as runners and parts, and anything else in this world. If you have something that someone else is willing to pay money for – why not sell it to them? No-one is forcing them to buy it. If you want to play with an expensive toy you have to pay it’s price.
Agree with you there. Can't understand the sort of person who thinks people are deliberately hoarding them just to prevent others having them. If you want something more than everyone else you will always manage to get hold of it. I don't want an SRB as much as others seem to do on ebay, yet I was quite happy to pay £30 for one at a local fair.

What I find embarrassing is when ppl complains on Tamiyas rere:s just because it , according to them,lowers the value on their NIB:s . So,RC enthusiasts all over the world shall not have the pleasure of driving / toying around in what they think is very cool models just because a handful of guys are sitting on NIB:es ??
Please can you point out anyone who is complaining because it lowers the price of original NIBs. All I have read are loads of rubbish about "collectors" in tears over this type comments by people who apparently have no idea about vintage r/c. Contrary to the belief of a few here, vintage collectors couldn't care less about the value. Some have earned enough to afford plenty of NIBs, I'm sure those moaning about not being able to afford NIBs would happily pay for them if they won the lottery.

Mybe theres a point behind the change of name and some slight alterations , to start with the name well stops people from swopping boxes (doubt it would happen ) to try and say original box ;) then theres the cast differences again keeps the originals what they are which is collectable , bringing back the rough rider i think is great and gives the chance for people to build it from nib which i did a very long time ago now , as terry sc has said parts arnt a fortune if sourced from other than ebay and if you still want the challenge of a resto job well u still can ! correct me if im wrong but for the restorer its a different type of satisfaction from a nib builder yes the end product may look the same but the restorer has spent hours trolling through car boots and flee markets etc , where as the nib buyer went down to the local hobby shop handed over ? £££ and went home and built it just like i did years ago and so the cycle starts again ! hope in another 30 years time i'll be here to see another rere of the buggy champ\ rough rider ! you never know !

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Right, this comment I'm not happy about. If you can't respect the opinions of others there are plenty of other forums where that attitude is the norm, we don't want it here.

You'll notice the comment you have made is everything to do with the size of the collection, nothing to do with the value, which a lot of the non "collectors" seem to focus on while us collectors couldn't care less about the value as we have no intention of selling them. My collection runs to around 150 cars right now. Many of them are very rare, quite a few of them are unique. On the other hand 3 or 4 NIB Bruisers would be worth more than my 150 cars.

No offense but I couldn't care less about all those lazy whiners who are making a big deal about the fact some vintage fans have done whatever they can to get hold of the cars they wanted to have. If any of these people complaining about not having an original had wanted one enough they would have done what they needed to to get one. Personally I have 4 SRBs, 3 of them came from hunting them down at car boot sales, the other was bought off a local racer. The 4 of them have cost me a grand total of £150. You aren't going to find a bargain by looking on ebay and moaning about the prices on there.

I'm not going to engage in argument with you Terry.sc. But, I'm sorry that my comment was not to your liking, simply because it was true. My response on Bluefoot's comments was spot on. Any real "attitude" exists only with the members who are being a little too annoyed with the fact that Tamiya is re-releasing this kit. I believe it is called buyer's remorse. It's a real drag and they should stop, or refrain from dampening the mood. Everyone's happy here so far. I do not know why any moderator feels the need to go after anyone who wants to clear the clouds. It is unjust to focus solely on my comment that was perceived as being disrespectful.

I like that you state it is not the quantity and then go on to tell us that you have 150 rare and expensive cars. Another thing is that people who have large expensive collections (good for them, I'm happy for them) want to convince everyone else that they do not see the monetary value of their collection. You will forgive me if I'm a skeptic.

I have long ago pulled my head in and basically given up many a topic goes into a slanging match .

A person might say they have a Blue Car ...and sure enough someone will say thats not Blue Its Red .Its so typical its better to give up .

I didnt join the club to get into petty arguments over things although I have been caught up in this before and have learnt my lesson .I wish people would just grow up .

Terry I think you are banging your head against a brick wall mate .some people are thicker than a plank of 4x4 .

Everybody has an opinion on things it will be getting to the point where people will think twice about voicing their opinion's as they think they will get pounced upon .I find this a very disturbing aspect arnt we all here to help and encourage each other .

This happens on almost every thread in one form or another .

As I said I will put my hand up first of being caught up in this but it didnt take me long to wake up to myself .

My wife dosent collect cars and she said straight away the original SRB's for those people who have them will still retain there value as they are originals this coming from a woman who has no idea about collecting but she figured it out !!!

Anyways this car is a blessing for a lot of people who cannot afford the real McCoy and want that SRB feeling that a lot of us members have already experienced .

I can only recall seeing one guy say he didn't like the re-release because of all the effort and expense he'd gone to in restoring Rough Riders over the years. And a few others (me included) saying they weren't really interested enough to buy it, but could see some benefits to come out of it.

Aside of that, it's been non-stop re-re excitement and happiness, to an almost evangelical level. It's nice to see some life in these old boards again, but I've been a bit hesitant to say much.... I didn't want to be dragged out to the town square and whipped for being a suspected anti-Re-Re-RR heretic :D

Can't we all just let people say what they want, tip a bucket on those who personally attack others, and get along? :D

Sometimes I go for a year without posting or reading here, because it's simply too draining when mere opinions are attacked or dissected into tiny pieces in a bid to 'prove' your perspective is wrong.

TC has always prided itself in being the friendly R/C board. Sadly, many valuable writers have departed for negative reasons that were unable to be resolved, but could have been prevented if others were more tolerant and reasonable.

As you were...

cheers,

H.

This is so sad!!!

EVERYBODY STOP!!! Allright?

Please start another thread for complaining about this!!!

This is getting out of hands!!!

Either delete those who can't stay in this thread or close this now!!! (witch would be pitty)

Now back to the subject!

Good point, I will leave that disscussion alone now..

I have a couple of questions, is the motor a std 540? Is there any reason other than making a custom pack that you shouldn't run these on 7.2v?

I think so! I've been scanning ebay for humpys to buy so let's hope.

As I was running my Rough Rider (Bel-Ray Bullet) yesterday, I relized It'll be good with a

new car for running so I can keep the BRB on the shelf and just run him indoors. :D

I start!

What I've seen so far:

Front swayarms!!!

Black chassie

Snad Blaster JR R.I.P!!!

New shocks

More..?

Badboy

Anyone spotted more different parts from the original?

Badboy

This is so sad!!!

EVERYBODY STOP!!! Allright?

Please start another thread for complaining about this!!!

This is getting out of hands!!!

Either delete those who can't stay in this thread or close this now!!! (witch would be pitty)

No back to the subject!

Badboy

Agree 100%, :D

Cant wait to finally get a Buggy Champ. 1 NIB and 1 to build, I'm already looking through the Rough Rider pics to see which paint scheme I want to use. I think when this finally turns up at my doorstep I'll be like a 5 yr old kid :D Definately going to have to set aside some time to build and paint it, take photos of each step and just enjoy the whole process. Roll on June!

Agree 100%, ;)

Cant wait to finally get a Buggy Champ. 1 NIB and 1 to build, I'm already looking through the Rough Rider pics to see which paint scheme I want to use. I think when this finally turns up at my doorstep I'll be like a 5 yr old kid :D Definately going to have to set aside some time to build and paint it, take photos of each step and just enjoy the whole process. Roll on June!

I'll buy somewhere between 3 and 5 or more!!!

I just love'em! And I've been dreaming of building one NIB since I built my Sand Scorcher back in '85.

It's been a long time...

Wonder if there will be spare bodies in boxes?!!

Imagine how many different paint scheme you can do!!! :D:D:lol:

Hope fully in boxart boxes!!!

Wonder when the "#58441 Buggy Champ" will be added to TC carlist? ;)

Badboy

Anybody have an idea of battery and charger costs yet ,Also spare parts cost I have been looking online but its still pretty quiet really .It would be good to purchase a Battery and if it needs a special charger to buy these items before hand ..I can just see us all now with built cars and no batteries or spares :D

Any ideas would be gratfully appreciated .

Thanx guys

Stuart

..I can just see us all now with built cars and no batteries or spares :D

Stuart

Ha, ha, ha!! Yeah, that would be something!!! :D

I think the ol' humpback will work, if you got any lying around...

Haven't seen any Buggy Champ stuff yet as I'm scanning the bay everyday!!!

I'm gonna try the new LiFe batterie if I can use a standard charger otherwise I'll go for humpy...

Badboy

I'm quite happy with this release (despite what others may have taken from my previous post). It's close enough to the original to satisfy those who want to build a new SRB, but there are obvious differences that will distinguish it from the original as Badboy has pointed out. I think this makes it more of an addition to the SRB family than a straight-out re release. Even the name is different (although it doesn't yet roll off the tongue quite as nicely as RR).

Previous re-res have been hard to distinguish from originals - Grasshopper, Hornet and Top Force in particular (to name a few).

I class myself as one of those "collectors' (won't mention any numbers so as not to offend), so I'll be adding this one to my 'want' list. However I might just wait a few months for the initial excitement to die down, and hopefully the price will die down a bit too.

Badboy, I am sure the Hong Kong sellers will be breaking these kits for spare parts if Tamiya doesn't issue them soon enough. The market for spares will be huge. I'd be very suprised it spare bodysets are not available, and who knows - we got blisters - we might also get bodyset boxes.

Sorry about the fuss my previous post caused - not intentional. In fact that response is precisely why I don't often voice "opinion" posts. I might just stick to offering advice when it is sought and help when I am able.

It's an unfortunate fact about internet forums. The text based and largely anonymous medium is not a good combination when differences of opinion flare up. One thing I will say though, being a once keen MMORPG gamer (City of Heroes, Age of Conan, Darkfall etc) the TC boards are a Paragon of nice and reasonableness compared to the gaming forums I've been on!

...of an addition to the SRB family than a straight-out re...

Will there be a RSB "sign" on it's box?

Like on the RR/SS/FR

PICT0033.jpg

Will it be called SRB?

Or are we to lazy to pull us together and realize it's a modernized RC in retro look and feel called Buggy Champ?

Is this the 5th SRB in the familly, or did Tamiya use the term only to promote them as Racing cars?

So many questions and so far away from it's release!!!

To add to different parts...

I believe I saw hollow front arm shaft? (pic from RA1028)

img1675_16052009202412_2.jpg

Am I right?

Badboy

finally a way for the poor people to build a rough rider from NIB !!!

i am looking forward to getting my grubby mitts on one of these.

all rereleases are a good thing. gets more people into the hobby.

more people into this, means more eye candy on sites like this one!

thank you tamiya. whatever your motives, whether it be for profit or to treat the collectors, i'm chuffed with this news.