blackdogbro

58441 Rough Rider "Buggy Champ" Re-release

The white parts being a sticker will make a great paint mask. You can paint the shell white then add the white stickers, overspray with blue etc. Remove the white stickers and you'll have a perfect paint body :P Just need to find some other decals to use for the numbers etc lol.
Was thinking exactly the same thing!

And if you're using repro sponsor details, you're not going to worry about trashing that sticker.

Best possible outcome!

- James

Don't you think it'll grab the paint and rip it of when you'll remove it?

For me, the masking of the body is half the fun when building it!

Badboy

Don't you think it'll grab the paint and rip it of when you'll remove it?

Leave the body to cure for a couple of weeks between coats, it'll be fine.

You could always use it as a template for masking tape or frisket.

For me, the masking of the body is half the fun when building it!

To each his own - but some masking jobs are just an outright pain in the toosh.

- James

those of you who run these vintage ones. how do they do on the beach and sand dunes?

those of you who run these vintage ones. how do they do on the beach and sand dunes?

Seems like a loaded question, not a question for the esteemed TC member, rather one that is leading somewhere...

My guess is the Re-Re won't perform like a modern buggy, it will be heavy. The original was prone to front end damage - suspension pins are soft, the pot metal arms are weak and the ballraces that hold the steering knuckle in place are prone to popping out. Also not many people are used to driving a car with no differential, this makes the car behave quite differently to how you might expect.

The original only offered 2 gearing options, nothing else. It was down to user imagination and later after market hop ups to increase this range.

Buy it for love not performance. Its a lot of money for a poor performing hard to upgrade buggy. To really make them work you need to be an engineer with a healthy workshop and you will throw away most of the parts that make it so special.

Paul

you need to watch these if you want to see em running -- Tamiya 101 DVD's

The next DVD will have some nice vintage box art Rough Riders -- which i'm sure is out very soon..

As for the reissue I hope some people arn't dissapointed with this, Dont get me wrong these are fantastic buggies in the right setting. But I can see a few ending up on ebay pretty soon from those that run em on the tarmac outside there house (on ebay minus the spot lights ?? LOL)

I'll not be getting one straight away (no need as I have an original runner anyway) However at least i'll be able to get a new bumper for mine (and black - how cool is that) Also i'll be able to run mine to death without fear of extortion prices on eBay...

I can see some really nice examples being built from some very experianced Tc members :-)

how do they do on the beach and sand dunes?

Great! It's what they were designed for.

It's the one place you don't want a diff, and also the one place you're not likely to break much.

Great! It's what they were designed for.

It's the one place you don't want a diff, and also the one place you're not likely to break much.

Thanks for the replies guys. I plan to get this to run at the beach. We goto the beach every other week and its pretty fun bashing rc cars there.

If you've driven modern buggies and trucks, then you'll find the handling is somewhat lacking.

Watch the Tamiya101 web movies to see much modified examples on the beach, it shows what can be achieved with some work on the suspension but they still don't handle that well. Ignore the 'look' of them running and the slow motion filming so you don't see them bouncing everywhere, but watch the actual handling. They understeer everywhere at speed, or occasionally oversteer for no reason, but as the rear end bounces across bumps every so often it will spin out. Either way it's impossible to make them go where you want them to go most of the time. On grippy surfaces again it will understeer everywhere, only this time if the rear end loses grip it will just as often fall over instead of spinning out.

Those of us that run them generally run them because of the way they look on the beach, not how they go. Usually spectators think they look great when running, while the driver is just trying to get it go in the rough direction they want it to. :P These aren't buggies like every other r/c buggy, but scale models that have r/c fitted so they look like the real thing when running.

BTW as for durability the last time I ran my original SS I lasted 10 minutes before snapping an upright, and bent a rear swing arm so have had to use washers to remove the play between the arm and gearbox case - they don't bend back once bent. The meet before that I bent two front pivot pins and had one front upper arm fall off and lost the torsion spring. The couple of meetings before that I had no problem, mainly because it didn't get much running.

Watch the Tamiya101 web movies to see much modified examples on the beach

Not all - mine is the blue and white box art scorcher used in the movies - apart from an ESC the chassis is totally stock even down to the original oil dampers. Which still hold oil even though it's been run to death in the sand... My Ranger is also stock chassis but has Hornet dampers.

But your right they still need some handling ;-) hence why I said I think some will be dissapointed. My view is buy for nostalgic reasons and have fun. I have visions of people fitting massive motors and wondering why it flips all the time ?

First post for me, joined after seeing the buggy champ re-relaease so cool!

Seen it in UK for £260 now pre order due in on 16th June! Is it going to be much cheaper getting from abroad? especially as i may

or may not get charged customs lol! always a lottery i find!

Thanks

Lee :P

First post for me, joined after seeing the buggy champ re-relaease so cool!

Seen it in UK for £260 now pre order due in on 16th June! Is it going to be much cheaper getting from abroad? especially as i may

or may not get charged customs lol! always a lottery i find!

Thanks

Lee :P

Welcome to da club Lee!!!

My first was the Sand Scorcher back in 1985!!

Badboy

Hi all,

I'm only a relatively new member here,And I pop in here and there.I have read lots of great threads here at TC that contain lots of great tips,And I've seen some extrodinary skills displayed by members with regards to modifying and restoring older rides,Not to mention some exceptional painting skills.

But the news of the RR (Buggy Champ) being re re'd is by far the most exciting thing I've read here so far.

As I kid (1980's) I could not afford all the cars I wanted.As I'm sure many here can relate.And one I always wanted was the RR.I'm STOKED this has happened.And I will definantly be grabbin two.Now I'm sorta grown up, LOL, And now have my own $$$.And for TAMIYA to make this possible is simply awsome.

The other re re's have also been a blessing,I got me a Frog,Hornet,Grasshoper ( My 1st car ),Brat,And a Lunchbox so far from the re re's.

Also snapped up a NIB FAV and a NIB Scorcher from the old school.

All these rides are cars I wanted as a kid,But never had my own money to buy.I'm not a collector,Just a long time R/C TAMIYA fan.

Next on my wish list,Re re'd or the original..........The Super Champ...........BRING It Mr TAMIYA.

Cheers. Can't wait.

If you buy one for beach use, drive it as if you're driving a real car. If you throw a real car into a corner at high speed, its gona lose grip. You'll get used to the handling after a few runs, and appreciate that driving one of these 'old' cars is much more pleasing than a brand new plastic 'thing' with no character.

Have fun!

If you've driven modern buggies and trucks, then you'll find the handling is somewhat lacking.

Those of us that run them generally run them because of the way they look on the beach, not how they go. Usually spectators think they look great when running, while the driver is just trying to get it go in the rough direction they want it to. :angry:

Maybe thats why they decided to call it the "Rough Rider" B)

colin.

I'm looking at the shocks and I can't find any feature to counter the volume of the shaft coming in, like the green rubber domes on the CVA shocks or the spring mounted brass peace on the Bruiser shocks.

Any idea? As it's strange to redesign the shocks without improving them.

Jerome

I'm looking at the shocks and I can't find any feature to counter the volume of the shaft coming in, like the green rubber domes on the CVA shocks or the spring mounted brass peace on the Bruiser shocks.

Any idea? As it's strange to redesign the shocks without improving them.

Jerome

I read somewhere that the new ones don't leak. So there must have been a redesign of the seals.

Yes there is no more brass ends but a silicon rubber o ring between 2 white teflon kind of washers.all this compressed by the black plastic end. That's not going to leak.

Still it means we'll need an air bubble inside to take the compression. Strange...

The CRP dampers I have are very similar to the SRB ones. Inside of them I put 2 expanded styrene bubbles. They will compress to take the displacement of the shaft but help prevent air bubbles forming in the damper oil.

These are fitted to my Grasshopper. Don't know if anyone else has tried this?

They understeer everywhere at speed, or occasionally oversteer for no reason, but as the rear end bounces across bumps every so often it will spin out. Either way it's impossible to make them go where you want them to go most of the time. On grippy surfaces again it will understeer everywhere, only this time if the rear end loses grip it will just as often fall over instead of spinning out.

If you scale up the speed of the 1:1 to match an SRB, it would also be uncontrollable :)

I find them great fun to drive, which is the main thing on a beech.

Modern buggys will of course completely out-perform them. Maybe I'm guilty of being a bit nostalgic (more than likely), but I actually enjoy the way that they handle.

These aren't buggies like every other r/c buggy, but scale models that have r/c fitted so they look like the real thing when running.

Absolutely - that's a whole part of the overall vibe.

Who's been pre-ordering the "Legend"?

I have to wait till it comes out at the bay as the local hobbyshops here in sweden stinks. ;)

So... I WANT IT NOW!!!

Badboy

After 30 years, the last couple of months must be killing you.

Paul.

After 30 years, the last couple of months must be killing you.

Paul.

Yepp!!! I'm starting to eat my girls arm or something...

Badboy

Who's been pre-ordering the "Legend"?

I have to wait till it comes out at the bay as the local hobbyshops here in sweden stinks. :(

So... I WANT IT NOW!!!

Badboy

To say they stink is an understatement Badboy , it´s SO frustrating to have to order in EVERY da-n little thingy you need. And with the low swedish currency it makes all stuff SUPER expensive . To buy from the far east or US is a lottery. If your lucky it doesn´t get stuck in customs but if it does they absolutely KILL you with fees and taxes The bas.s even tax you on shipping and insurances ! MAN it makes me mad :angry: I´m glad some sellers helps you out and state a lower value on the little green tags though.

To make things even worse the Swedish distributor (hard word ) have gone bankrupt AAAAAAAAARGH :angry:

Guess we are lucky to have Nortrading in Norway and Morfars in Denmark to at least get some stuff.

And YES I will get a RR or BC too but just to make a "fake" XLT Ranger !! Original wheels in the mail and painted and decaled body is already on a shelf. Bring it on MrT :P