blackdogbro

58441 Rough Rider "Buggy Champ" Re-release

But no body parts!!!

I want body parts + bumper + radio box!!!

Badboy

Looks like someone "tiny-chipm" has the parts your after on e-bay under auction now - they didnt take long to reach Sheffield! Think they have come from Jason to here already?

Other than tyres, shocks, base plate, extra screw hole in motor housing, screw rather than pin on front suspension uprights (anything Ive missed - Im no expert) isnt it going to be difficult to distinguish original parts from the new BC ones - especially once they start being used and then stripped for sale on e-bay. I love my original RR & SS - true nostalgia - and although I have ordered a BC for some fun with my children - think the original/new scenario is going to get pretty messy in months/years to come. Think it would be difficult for most to resist completing their projects with BC parts (me included) so are original spare prices going to have to fall now to compete or will shear demand for the spare BC parts see these selling for the same type of prices as the originals if supply of them is limited - Im confused!

Looks like someone "tiny-chipm" has the parts your after on e-bay under auction now - they didnt take long to reach Sheffield! Think they have come from Jason to here already?

Other than tyres, shocks, base plate, extra screw hole in motor housing, screw rather than pin on front suspension uprights (anything Ive missed - Im no expert) isnt it going to be difficult to distinguish original parts from the new BC ones - especially once they start being used and then stripped for sale on e-bay. I love my original RR & SS - true nostalgia - and although I have ordered a BC for some fun with my children - think the original/new scenario is going to get pretty messy in months/years to come. Think it would be difficult for most to resist completing their projects with BC parts (me included) so are original spare prices going to have to fall now to compete or will shear demand for the spare BC parts see these selling for the same type of prices as the originals if supply of them is limited - Im confused!

I agree.. even real car collector that win Concours D'Elegance don't have all original parts.. some are even remanufactured! Auto manufactures don't re-release, they do retro.. were lucky to have a company such as Tamiya re-releasing our fav nostalgic rc cars.. have yet to see Kyosho or Associated go down this path.

As for "original" versus "re-release" guess a true collector is going to have to find a way to authenticate the original part from the re-release.. frankly I've never been much of a collector of NIB.. I get pleasure in using the product... having one new in the box from 20 years ago, is not fun for me.. the temptation to build it is too high.. which also means I wont be getting rich off of collecting lol. On the other side, you wont catch me paying 1000 for a NIB either. There was a guy who bought the NIB SS with Black Bumper on ebay for $5000 a few months ago.. :) to each his own!

I agree.. even real car collector that win Concours D'Elegance don't have all original parts.. some are even remanufactured! Auto manufactures don't re-release, they do retro.. were lucky to have a company such as Tamiya re-releasing our fav nostalgic rc cars.. have yet to see Kyosho or Associated go down this path.

As for "original" versus "re-release" guess a true collector is going to have to find a way to authenticate the original part from the re-release.. frankly I've never been much of a collector of NIB.. I get pleasure in using the product... having one new in the box from 20 years ago, is not fun for me.. the temptation to build it is too high.. which also means I wont be getting rich off of collecting lol. On the other side, you wont catch me paying 1000 for a NIB either. There was a guy who bought the NIB SS with Black Bumper on ebay for $5000 a few months ago.. :) to each his own!

Cant wait to get the BC and re-live some childhood memories! Hit 40 this year - so have an excuse with the wife! Whats happened with the rebuild photos project that was on the go a few pages back - any more photos? hows the build coming along?

I would wait for the BIN prices to start hitting. At the moment these can hit silly prices as people think they're originals.

Cant wait to get the BC and re-live some childhood memories! Hit 40 this year - so have an excuse with the wife! Whats happened with the rebuild photos project that was on the go a few pages back - any more photos? hows the build coming along?

Im in the same boat as you.. 39 knocking on 40. When I saw the re-release of the BC, I went to the wife and started rambling how I dreamed of having one but could not afford it when I was little and how my friend Mike had 3 SRBs and I'd always be at his house wanting to drive it.... she just looked at me and said.. its ok.. you can get one.

I just had a very careful look at the differences and actually there isn't a lot of parts that you will not identify as rere ones.

Here goes:

The obvious ones:

-Bumper, different markings and black and marked 2009

-FRP Chassis, black

-Front end, new casting and you can tell the metal is different, same goes for the gearbox and rear suspension arms

-Radiobox, the underside has a smaller and open hole at the back for the well nut (they are now smaller) The cover seems identical to the original but is so clear I think you can tell compared to the slightly yellow original plastic

-The motor cover is different to let the motor plugs go through, Gear cover seems identical

-Receiver box (front part) seems identical

-Servo saver seems identical although the sprue is marked 2009

-Wheels look as the original although the sprue is marked 2009

-ballraces or ball plates are different, bigger hole in the centre

-Camlocks and pipejoints look identical although the metal looks different as I mentioned earlier

-Front Tyres different

-Rear tyres identical

-Universal joints chromed not brass

-Rear cage identical

-Torsion bars identical

-Plastic gears as original

-Counter gear is different, black steel shaft

-Front Body post is different, the hole is not countersunk as the original

-Roll bar is identical

-Body clip is the same

-Body is marked as 2009

-Roof section look as per the original

-Aluminium underplate identical

-Rear axles are different

Not an awful lot in common really

I just had a very careful look at the differences and actualy there isn't a lot of parts that you will not identify as rere ones.

Here goes:

The obvious ones:

-Bumper, different markings and black and marked 2009

-FRP Chassis, black

-Front end, new casting and you can tell the metal is different, same goes for the gearbox and rear suspension arms

-Radiobox, the underside has a smaller and open hole at the back for the well nut, they are now different (smaller) The cover seems identical but is so clear I think you can tell

-The motor cover is different to let the motor plugs go through, Gear cover seems identical

-Receiver box (front part) seems identical

-Servo saver seems identical

-ballraces or ball plates are different, bigger hole in the centre

-Camlocks and pipejoints look identical

-Front Tyres different

-Rear tyres identical

-Universal joints chromed not brass

-Rear cage identical

-Torsion bars identical

-Plastic gears as original

-Counter gear is different, black steel shaft

-Front Body post is different, the hole is not countersunk as the original

-Roll bar is identical

-Body clip is the same

-Body is marked as 2009

-Roof section look as per the original

-Rear axles are different

Thanks - thats excellent and very useful and a bit of a relief really given the money and time spent collecting original parts - wont be so afraid now to get on and use the BC!

All this work leads me to believe that they can only release more cars with this chassis....I haven't said the name, no no, I haven't

All this work leads me to believe that they can only release more cars with this chassis....I haven't said the name, no no, I haven't

would this have anything to do with the growing BIN's of "a certain well loved buggy" on ebay recently too, would it..? :)

To me the real fun in this hobby is trying to find an early original example. :) as I have done several times in the past. I suppose I am of the old school really and get a real "BUZZ" when I come across an original 30 year old car that is still wearing its original coat of paint. :P although these days it is getting a lot more difficult to find these original cars. To me even a rebuilt original is still not quite the same as the genuine untouched buggy.

It is great that Tamiya are marketing their re-re's but for us dinosaurs ;) they will never replace the originals. I have spent a fortune on some of my Sand scorchers and Rough riders in the past and at todays values I have probably paid out more than they are actually worth at the moment but having said that an original will always be worth more than any re-re's and should start to increase in value as time goes on.

A few months ago I bought a NIP Tamiya black bumper that still had the two thin casting lugs attatched to it. I had been searching for one of these for a long time and paid £200 for it. Today of course you can buy a NIP black bumper for a fraction of that price but it will not have the early original stamped markings from Tamiya on it so to me it was definately worth what I paid for it.

LONG LIVE THE DINOSAURS and hopefully we will not die out and become extinct. :):(:)

I just had a very careful look at the differences and actually there isn't a lot of parts that you will not identify as rere ones.

Here goes:

-Torsion bars identical

Nope! The brass part got a flat spot for the screw, same thing with the rear swayarm pin (the other side)

How about the the front swayarm pins? Are they the same size?

As the hole in the electronic box are smaller, I think some sizes are thinner/thicker on the new one just so you can´t fake them as vintage.

Parts are market L1, L2, R1, R2 etc just to not look as original...

That's me thinking...

Badboy

Well spotted for the torsion bars, I'll check tonight.

I don't understand what you mean about the radiobox? Can you explain?

Thanks

Jerome

It seems inevitable doesn't it? Tamiya can be a strange company sometimes though. They will release something that no-one had neither saw coming nor particularly wanted and then completely miss out something that seemed an obvious choice to the rest of us. On this occasion though to completely bypass "you know what" would almost indicate commercial incompetence.

Yep, too right Wandy !

"Tamiya can be a strange company sometimes though. They will release something that no-one had neither saw coming nor particularly wanted"

Although a Striker body on the SRB chassis isn't out of the question :unsure:

Well spotted for the torsion bars, I'll check tonight.

I don't understand what you mean about the radiobox? Can you explain?

Thanks

Jerome

The rubber mount on the radio box are smaller then original same with mount hole in the box

just so you can't use the new box and call it vintage on you original SRB when selling it...

I think Tamiya has done all the changes on purpose with the vintage value in mind.

New front tyres, thicker front arms etc...

You dig..?

Any body with both the new and the priginal who can messure the front axels?

58441_DSCN1940_010.jpg

The 4 whos goes into the tubes in the front susp...

58441_DSCN1944_013.jpg

Ohhh... You see the hole in the middle thredded tube? New on this chassie

Pics from Psychoatom build thred

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...=51556&st=0

Badboy

So now we got four different RR/BC boxes!!!

The firts RR with different box art: (my fav)

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/getuserimage.asp...003221717_1.jpg

pics from "Tamiya man"

The one we are used to

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/getuserimage.asp...003221832_1.jpg

pics from "Tamiya man"

The new Buggy Champ box LTD with t-shirt

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/getuserimage.asp...009014409_1.jpg

Pics from Just_a_Kid

And the "regular" one

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/getuserimage.asp...009115821_1.jpg

Pics from Psychoatom

Badboy

Edit: As I couldn't link to the pics you have to cut and paste

The top of the hole on the radiobox for the rear well nut is open, as I wrote, unlike the original so you definitely can't make the new one vintage. No worries there.

And one more difference, the front shafts have a flat spot on the end for the grub screw. You can just about see it on Psychoatom first pic above.

So now we got four different RR/BC boxes!!!

The firts RR with different box art: (my fav)

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/getuserimage.asp...003221717_1.jpg

pics from "Tamiya man"

The one we are used to

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/getuserimage.asp...003221832_1.jpg

pics from "Tamiya man"

The new Buggy Champ box LTD with t-shirt

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/getuserimage.asp...009014409_1.jpg

Pics from Just_a_Kid

And the "regular" one

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/getuserimage.asp...009115821_1.jpg

Pics from Psychoatom

Badboy

Edit: As I couldn't link to the pics you have to cut and paste

What's the difference between the first and second one?

What's the difference between the first and second one?

Hi..!

The first box art is more like the real thing...Side protective bars + window net + original style bumper..Its also my fav box art for the RR.

To me the re-re was a shock and as soon as I found out about it I sold many used parts that are good only for runner with the intention to buy them new for my runners so there was no original or re-re issue in this.I prefer my runner to look nice even if it has re-re parts on it.

My restored and new builds (total of 20 cars) wil stay as is, and the missing parts for some of them will be again new vintage parts and hopefully I will spend less money to buy them online.I am sure these prices will drop since a big persentage of people hunting the old staff will use the re-re cheap staff.

As mentioned earlier many parts are not the same and thats fine but there are also some parts that were very expensive and now are in the range below 10 usd from Jason.

1.First the rear bumper which are exactly the same and you needed to spend more than 60 usd to get a NIP ,now with 10 usd you have the same thing..No date or other marking printed on them..so its a part that you can use at your vintage without a problem and will also look good..

2.The roll bar ,,which in most RR and some SS when used without the shell was damaged.You can buy a new one for a few bucks.!! I will replace all used ones I have .!!

3.The servo saver looks to be identical and it was a very expensive part if NIP but now again very cheap..! I will replace all of them only if they are exactly the same.

4.The gear cover is again a good part to replace for just a few bucks..!

5.Complete antenna's ..That was also available from the Hummer but most people didnt know and paid more than 15usd for it now only 5usd..!

6.Plastic Gears.

7.Complete Fr & Rr wheel set cost less than an empty vintage RR wheel set box.!

8.Most important...Body parts..!!! As many roofs as you like ..!! 10usd for a complete roof tree..!! with the same bucket style lights to keep you old RR and Super Champ complete..!! These lights sold for 50usd online for a used set of four... used roofs the same 50usd for a used and 90-100usd for a new one.Do not forget the instruments panel for both the RR and SuperChamp..!

Now we can have as many different than box art bodies as we like..! use them ,brake them ,and buy new ones whenever we like..! I will now paint some bodies to my ideas without worring that I did it in a vintage /expensive part that I will never use.

For me thats more than enough to make my vintage runners looking good/original and have enough spares without the problem of high prices and hunting them all the time online..

Then again I will build more than two BCs to make also an SS runner and enjoy every minute of it on sandy dunes..!!

I have all SRB kits as NIB and I know that prices will fall even more in the following months than they are today...for me thats an oportunity to buy a vintage kit for a bargain price..! and maybe some build ,good ,vintage complete examples...

My first two BCs are on their way and I will build them the moment I get them..!!

Will be in touch....as soon as we have the SS release..!!

Be well.. :unsure:

Thanos

...And one more difference, the front shafts have a flat spot on the end for the grub screw. You can just about see it on Psychoatom first pic above.

Just like the hardened steel shaft CRM hopups for the original much better than the standard butter soft shafts.

ok so im jealous of some of you guys that already got the buggy champ....lol

living in the united states here sucks...

nobody has buggy champs yet!

I think Tamiya has done all the changes on purpose with the vintage value in mind.

For years I have seen people on this board argue that SRB would not be re-released to preserve the vintage value. Tamiya is a Japanese company and they care about their profit. When a Vintage SRB sells for $3000, they don't receive any royalty, so it does not add to their bottom line. If they cared about preserving the Vintage value, they would have never bothered with this SRB re-release.

I would call the changes made on the current kit as minor improvements that Tamiya felt necessary, without completely changing the SRB. Having flat spots on rods and pins was something they simply over looked in the 70/80s. Revised front suspension mounts were another weak point of the original car. Larger bore shocks with nylon pistons again an improvement that was needed.

I agree with you Raman. i got my BC in yesterday and took a through look at it. Almost every part is subtly different. Some of the things they did were improvements like providing ball bearings, flat spotting shafts and such.

I agree with you Raman. i got my BC in yesterday and took a through look at it. Almost every part is subtly different. Some of the things they did were improvements like providing ball bearings, flat spotting shafts and such.

You're in California as well.. what part? Im in around Santa Monica / Culver City. Also where did you get yours from? Im waiting for Tower Hobbies to deliver mine.

You're in California as well.. what part? Im in around Santa Monica / Culver City. Also where did you get yours from? Im waiting for Tower Hobbies to deliver mine.

I got mine from jr-rc on ebay. You pay a premium but you get it right away