blackdogbro

58441 Rough Rider "Buggy Champ" Re-release

Whys a lot of people wanting a diff in this ??

I think because a lot of us that had the originals upgraded to a diff.

Totally agree with you - on the sand dunes, and in fairness that's what these are designed for, the last thing you want is a diff. But we don't all live within striking distance of a beach.

I don't really mind either way - in the event of a re-release someone else will release an after-market diff, so we're covered either way. But I think it would be a sensible design option to have either a lockable diff, or the option of either in the kit.

I can see a huge market opening up for vintage buggy racing. Quite a lot already doing that and for which a diff is critical.

I think this is great news and it goes to show that Tamiya are serious about the vintage models and re-making them is no problem. When you look at the coffee cup cars, all those miniatures appear to have been re-released in 1/10 scale. So does that mean that the Fox will be re-released because if you apply the same idea to these models - Takara Tomy/Tamiya Q-Steer Micro Buggy - you'll see that all these cars have been re-released - except (at the moment) the Fox.................is this model just waiting in the wings..........will it be out later this year..........there is also a tamtech version of this model out.........

James.

I think because a lot of us that had the originals upgraded to a diff.

Totally agree with you - on the sand dunes, and in fairness that's what these are designed for, the last thing you want is a diff. But we don't all live within striking distance of a beach.

I don't really mind either way - in the event of a re-release someone else will release an after-market diff, so we're covered either way. But I think it would be a sensible design option to have either a lockable diff, or the option of either in the kit.

I can see a huge market opening up for vintage buggy racing. Quite a lot already doing that and for which a diff is critical.

I dont live near a beach either - I couldn't be more central lcation wise. All i'm saying is off road be it beech / dust / gravel - you dont want a diff in my opinion. And on a grippy surface you dont want to be running an SRB. I appreciate it's the facination to upgrade everything (you've only to look at some of my models LOL)

I'm only raising debate cause basically I'm not bothered either way - we'll all see when it's officially released :D

off road be it beech / dust / gravel - you dont want a diff in my opinion.

Fair enough, I take your point. I suppose many of us had to run them on-road, and whilst not what they were designed for, it's part of the nostalgic experience. My first 10 seconds of owning one resulted in a full speed in reverse crash into a kerb, and I really want to repeat that experience and be able to buy a replacement rear bumper!

I'll be buying 3 or 4 of them with or without a diff :D

Who cares eh? The Rough Rider is back!

Just posted by JANDERSON at scale4x4rc:

Quote:

Originally Posted by janderson

Yes it is real and there will metal parts! and the old blister pack is back!

Sorry Mr Anderson I couldn't contain myself !

Now who on here in their right mind is going to buy that??!! :D

Put me down for 3. Oe NIB, one new built, and one runner.

I haven't built or bought anything for ages now.....but I reckon this just might renew a bit of interest in the hobby! :P

Good work Tamiya! I wonder if Tamiyaclub had anything to do with this?

Man this is too cool :D

I didn't see it in the translated text and I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, I wonder if it will have modifed headlights/tailights for an LED option? Now that would be cool :P

Also makes me wonder if there will be any hop-up options, a lot of you guys are asking about a differential, maybe it will be an option part?

I have never owned a Buggy Champ or any SRB (but this is soon going to change..) What option parts would you want if any?

Bevel gear diff in the SRB transforms it. You can control the slide on loose dirt instead of it just whipping around. On a grippy surface it doesn't push the front wheels and it will steer.

With a more powerful motor than stock both wheels still spin up nicely. With the 4600Kv I'm running in the Super Champ it has no choice but to spin up both wheels, no matter what surface you are running on. Spectacular roosts in sand from both wheels with the Paddla-Traks or SC spikes.

I've put many km of driving on my brushless SC and nothing has worn or broken. I'm not using the alloy 0.6mm pinions or the kit spur gears, I have DF03 0.5mm pinion and modified DF03 slipper fitted. It all fits inside the original gearcover but I did need to add a clear smoke DF03 slipper cap to the SC gearcover (creative dremeling). The smaller toothed 0.5mm gears allows me to get upto a ratio suitable for brushless and still fit inside the covers.

Bevel gear diff in the SRB transforms it. You can control the slide on loose dirt instead of it just whipping around. On a grippy surface it doesn't push the front wheels and it will steer.

With a more powerful motor than stock both wheels still spin up nicely. With the 4600Kv I'm running in the Super Champ it has no choice but to spin up both wheels, no matter what surface you are running on. Spectacular roosts in sand from both wheels with the Paddla-Traks or SC spikes.

I've put many km of driving on my brushless SC and nothing has worn or broken. I'm not using the alloy 0.6mm pinions or the kit spur gears, I have DF03 0.5mm pinion and modified DF03 slipper fitted. It all fits inside the original gearcover but I did need to add a clear smoke DF03 slipper cap to the SC gearcover (creative dremeling). The smaller toothed 0.5mm gears allows me to get upto a ratio suitable for brushless and still fit inside the covers.

you should go patent that real quick Mark, might be a market for that setup soon ;):lol:

you should go patent that real quick Mark, might be a market for that setup soon ;):lol:

All I did was reaarange some Tamiya parts from various models. It's all still Tamiya (albiet some modified) and no home made parts.

Hope for a diff as hopup!

Why do they not release any pics of the new one?

Badboy

Why do they not release any pics of the new one?

When does the Hobby show start? or has it started? If it hasn't maybe thats why?

Or maybe Mr T. is teasing us to build excitement :lol:

When does the Hobby show start? or has it started? If it hasn't maybe thats why?

Or maybe Mr T. is teasing us to build excitement :lol:

I think the Hobby show starts on the 14th for trade people.

Cant wait to see the pics and hope its true to the original (sounds like it is) Cant wait to buy one ;)

Cant wait to buy one ;)

Yep x2

I did have a few others on my To-Buy list this year buy they will wait till next year, the Re-Re Buggy Champ is a must buy for me :lol:

Finally, FINALLY this one can be put to bed. I mean in the 5 years I've been on here it is without a doubt the most debated subject. All I can say is there are a lot of people who will have to eat humble pie this week. :lol: There have been some crazy statements over the years why a SRB re-release would be impossible......"they cant make it because it's metal" or "it would cost £500" or "if the Japanese dont want it then it wont happen"....are some of the common views voiced here over the years. Well lo and behold here we are in the middle of a chronic recession and they go and re-re it in near completely original form and it will cost less than £200.

The only thing I think they have got wrong is the timing. This should have been done 2 years ago when the value of the dollar was low. I accept that the 30 year anniversary is a major factor in this though.

It's incredible that they are manufacturing a completely new battery for this model. I've always expected a re-re but not with this much attention to detail. I mean, blisters for crying out loud! Talk about retro heaven!

Once again we have clear evidence that the coffee pot minis promotion was a huge :angry: to us in what they were planning. Only the Astute to go now from that promotion. I fully expect the FAV & Wild One to get a re-re sometime within the next 18 months. Possibly the Fox too.

I highly doubt we will see the Scorcher or F150 coming back though. It's nearly 4 years since Tamiya re-released the Frog and we still have not seen the Monster Beetle or Blackfoot and I think it's safe to say we never will either. I'll happily be proven wrong though. ;)

One thing I'm surprised about is why this subject has not developed into a 20+ page thread? A few years ago the board went into meltdown when Netsmith posted his SRB re-re wind up...today we have a 7 page thread after 4 days. Are people losing interest?

Yep x2

I did have a few others on my To-Buy list this year buy they will wait till next year, the Re-Re Buggy Champ is a must buy for me ;)

Yup I agree Daniel

x2 Buggies and enough spares as to never run out ..or have to troll ebay for those expensive replacment parts ...Hmm Maybe x3 just to be safe I think and spares ..And all those other wants this year still endervour to get as well hehe

>Wife walks by press the windows button and look inocent :lol: >Say dam is the world of warcraft server down again !!!

I highly doubt we will see the Scorcher or F150 coming back though. It's nearly 4 years since Tamiya re-released the Frog and we still have not seen the Monster Beetle or Blackfoot and I think it's safe to say we never will either. I'll happily be proven wrong though. :lol:

Jumping on the speculation bandwagon, I see no reason we wouldn't get a Scorcher or F150, this release in itself proves that Tamiya have no problems bringing back something many said would never happen. Remember, the RR was the FIRST SRB, it's not unreasonable to expect the Scorcher & F150 to be re-released on (or near) their respective anniversaries.

I can't see trademarks or badge licensing being much of an issue either, if Tamiya think there's a market, they will do what's necessary to get the product out there. They must already have some kind of licence deal with VW for the M04 Beetle so there shouldn't be too much of an obstacle there.

Of the three, possibly the Ranger is the least likely, as it has a "real world" designation using brand names, then again, dropping the Ford name from the tailgate & calling it something else was sufficient for the Super Blackfoot.

And finally just to throw another idea into the pot - what are the odds on seeing a Super Champ re-re ? ;)

I can't see trademarks or badge licensing being much of an issue either, if Tamiya think there's a market, they will do what's necessary to get the product out there. They must already have some kind of licence deal with VW for the M04 Beetle so there shouldn't be too much of an obstacle there.

So you are saying that Tamiya dont believe there is a market for a Monster Beetle re-release? If they read these forums regularly (and we are led to believe that they do) they will clearly know that is not the case.

When it comes to Sand Scorcher body, EMPI owns the design on both wide eye and bug eyed front.

Another RC company who released a baja style body that was canselled thanks to EMPI, but I think I've seen of them on ebay...

It's not VW, It's EMPI whos got the upper hand here...(if I'm not wrong)

Badboy

So you are saying that Tamiya dont believe there is a market for a Monster Beetle re-release? If they read these forums regularly (and we are led to believe that they do) they will clearly know that is not the case.

Not at all, I was merely referring to your suggestion that we would only get the RR as a re-release from the SRB stable & not a Scorcher or Ranger.

As you have quite rightly said, it should be clear to anyone reading these (and other) forums, that the re-release market is viable for any of the popular kits, whether it be a Monster Beetle, SRB or whatever.

Equally well, to turn your own argument around, if Tamiya thought there truly was a market, don't you think they would have given us an MB by now ?

There appears to be no particular pattern to what is & isn't released, perhaps they're just Mr Tamiya's favourites ? or maybe best sellers from the first release ? or maybe the marketing dept are throwing darts at a board covered in pictures of previous cars ? :angry:

On the flip side, the XR311 was re-re'd, but was the Lamborghini Cheetah ? :lol:

I wonder what else is in line for re release ? RM Pan cars or CS chassis in carbon fibre maybe ? ;)

Great time to be a VINTAGE collector. I can hear the faint sounds of hundreds of horders and speculators keyboard's typing for sale ads as fast as possible!!

Also, man.. NO vintage car is safe from Re-Re after this. I thought my avantes were bullet proof, doubt it would be anytime soon but.. Eeekkkk!

It's not VW, It's EMPI whos got the upper hand here...(if I'm not wrong)

post-23151-1242139638.gif

Should we all ask EMPI, or send them a link to this thread?

Toll Free Phone: (800) 666-3674

Toll Free Fax: (800) 666-4014

No direct sales, please see your local dealer!

EMPI Inc.

DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ONLY

Phone: (714) 446-9606 • Fax: (714) 446-9610

E-Mail: empi.usa@empius.com

301 E. Orangethorpe Ave., Anaheim, CA USA 92801

There are many other companys producing the Baja kit for bugs, I don't think they are licensed, just needs to differ slightly from the EMPI version(I think?)

or maybe the marketing dept are throwing darts at a board covered in pictures of previous cars ? ;)

I reckon thats gotta be it :lol: