blackdogbro

58441 Rough Rider "Buggy Champ" Re-release

humbrol paints aint all bad, i recently painted 3 of my RC's with them and the quality is pretty good, they even do a french blue <_<

I quite like the humbrol paint range. Fine, high pigment paints that go on the model nice and thin so as to not mess up the detail and the Gloss paints dry very glossy straight off the gun. The 427 Cobra 1:32 scale is all painted in Humbrol and not polished, glossy shine 'off the gun' in 19 red over body moulded in blue. Their flat colours dry nice and flat and the matt black 33 looks like rubber if sprayed and the 85 satin black looks like plastic when dry.. Combining the flat colours and any brand enamel clear also makes a nice 'clear over base' finish with the ability to use pearl and metal flake powders in the clear. Some real nice effects on hard body shells. The Humbrol paints are also compatible with the majority of enamel paint conditioners available. They work fine with turpentine as the thinner for brushing, normal (general purpose) or acetone thinners for spraying.

Gloss white is about the only paint of theirs I've ever had problems with, better results and coverage from their flat white with clear over it to seal and obtain a nice gloss.

I would rather use Humbrol enamels than Tamiya acrylics anyway. Never had much success with Testors paints for static modelling.

Hmm theres no mention of a Buggy Champ on list of the cars released at the show... :blink:

The Tamiya Inc. (English) page is outdated. Go to Tamiya Inc. (Japanese) or TamiyaUSA and you will find it.

The Tamiya Inc. (English) page is outdated. Go to Tamiya Inc. (Japanese) or TamiyaUSA and you will find it.

Yep, the english Tamiya Inc. site is so far behind I don't bother, google translate on the Japanese site works pretty good.

I won't be buying it either.

I originally bought the re-re Hornet, Grasshopper and Frog. But after a while I realized they just didn't do it for me, so I sold them. When I see those fake decals, altered box art, ESCs & various upgrades....I'd rather save for a year and spend whatever it takes to get the real deal from the 70s or 80s. So that's what I do nowadays. I don't care that the originals were flawed - those flaws are a product of the thinking of the day. We grew up with them. They're part of what fascinates me about that era of R/C. I collect to reminisce, not to remix. :blink:

I think the re-releases are good for 2 things though:

1. Forcing the price of the original cars/parts down (I don't care about the value of what I've already bought - only my ability to buy more!), and...

2. Offering some parts that are indistinguishable from the originals, that are therefore fine for restoring original cars.

I hope Tamiya re-release lots of black bumpers that are exactly the same as the originals. I have shelled out as much as $350 for a single black bumper before, but who cares - being able to buy bumpers for $20 each from the LHS will be a dream come true :angry: Probably just be the grey ones though, or have some annoying imprint like "Tamiya 2009" underneath... :D

cheers,

H.

I think the re-releases are good for 2 things though:

1. Forcing the price of the original cars/parts down (I don't care about the value of what I've already bought - only my ability to buy more!), and...

2. Offering some parts that are indistinguishable from the originals, that are therefore fine for restoring original cars.

Sounds like you are a die hard vintage purist H. :D

It's the altered box art & decals of the re-re's that keep the balance I think, a vintage original will still be a vintage original and will still be more valuable than a re-re kit :D

For me it is reason number 3. which you didn't have on your list :blink:

3. Allowing people who like the old retro models but aren't serious vintage collectors and want the enjoyment of running and old style model without fear of breaking something they spent their life savings on.

I love the old SRB's, I have never owned or driven one and there is no way I would spend the kind of money the NIB vintage kits are selling for so the re-re suits me perfectly, I get to build and run a brand new kit of an old retro SRB without the big money burning after-taste :angry:

I love the old SRB's, I have never owned or driven one and there is no way I would spend the kind of money the NIB vintage kits are selling for so the re-re suits me perfectly, I get to build and run a brand new kit of an old retro SRB without the big money burning after-taste :blink:

That's exactly my thinking.

Modern bashers need a decent brushless/lipo combo to have some with really, retro ones tend to just need a silver can or sport tuned.

Well I definitely know that whatever your view is on the re-releases, the cost has kept many from indulging in building a NIB SRB... I definitely know the price even of used examples has kept me from enjoying an SRB altogether.

So now we can all crack open those blisters and enjoy that Tamiya factory air goodness!

If you're buying 'the real thing', you're most likely buying an already built example to restore, rather than building a super rare original NIB... And that's fine, but not the same as building that NIB.

Considering that these kits will be affordable, and just as much fun as an original SRB... Why wouldn't you? I can't see the point of being snobbish about these not being the old ones... They're still Tamiya, they ARE the real thing!

I don't look at my re-issue Top Force, Frog, Hornet and Dyna Storm and lament that they're not the original vintage item.

However, if the provenance of these original kits matters to you, great... I just can't think how it could be a reason to deny yourself the chance to enjoy building one factory fresh.

If you're thinking prices for the originals will come down - well you might find one or two collectors willing to part with one for less that they went for before the re-issue, but more likely people who have the old kits will hang on to them forever and won't sell them (or maybe even build them!) if they won't be able to get a decent price for them anymore.

If the stickers bother you that much, there are repro decals out there that are really good, and you're still going to come out ahead.

To all those who are not going to buy one... Yay, more for the rest of us, I'll buy yours instead!

And if they truly are returning to blisters, these re-issue kits will be collectible in time, like the Top Force and Dyna Storm re-issue kits are now sought after.

I wonder how many people are just going to buy these kits to sit on them and speculate?

- Jim

Hobby show is tomarrow so that means they are setting up now and you might be able to find some pictures online already Time to google.Last year some of the other vendors where posting picture of the Hotshot a day early. :blink: I am going tomarrow but by the time i get home there should be alot of pictures online.

Nicely said Jim,

I am sure there will be plenty of the Re Re Rough Riders that will stay NIB for the next 30 years, but anyone would have to be nuts to think they are an investment, that goes for any model kit really. :blink: There are soo many better ways to invest for cash returns...

For me the only lagitimate reasons for keeping a kit NIB for 30 years would be

1. I forgot it was there (highly unlikely)

2. I wanted to save it for when my boys are old enough to enjoy building something old school together (that only would account for 10 - 20 years)

3. I wanted to keep it for when I was 60 years old for a trip down memory lane (I would end up busting it open and building it after 3 months...)

Anyone care to speculate on wether it will have an LED light option? That would be cool :angry:

There are soo many better ways to invest for cash returns...

+1

And think of what fun you could have building non-box art custom SRBs. Original stickers matter less if you're not bothering with boxart, although having a few leftover sponsor stickers never goes astray.

- James

Whilst I think that this is exciting news, I do feel a little bit of sadness - part of the fun of collecting/restoring the old buggies was the fact that they actually were pretty rare, and therefore special.

When I got my hands on a pretty poor condition black bumper I was really excited - I'd never had one before.

It's nothing to do with the monetary investment - just the fact that they won't be quite as special anymore. :blink:

Whilst I think that this is exciting news, I do feel a little bit of sadness - part of the fun of collecting/restoring the old buggies was the fact that they actually were pretty rare, and therefore special.

When I got my hands on a pretty poor condition black bumper I was really excited - I'd never had one before.

It's nothing to do with the monetary investment - just the fact that they won't be quite as special anymore. :blink:

Agree with you 100%.

Well although I understand, I think that they will still be special, just for more people.

I'm well happy that they are doing it.

J.

In terms of building an SRB factory fresh, my goal has always been to save hard, and get the originals NIB - no matter how long it takes. I just prefer the originals. So I save a small amount of money each month, and eventually, maybe, I get there. After 10 years of eBay, and about 17 years active collecting in total, I've got there. I'm happy everyone else will be snapping up the re-re kits. But I've been doing this so long, I think I'll just keep plodding along like a tortoise :blink:

cheers,

H.

I believe in re-res all the way. Tamiya gets no benefit from crazy collectors prices. While I have a lot of sympathy for the genuine Tamiya collectors the fact is a lot of people are in it just to make lots of money.

As said the majority of us now can all have a go and experience/enjoy it and Tamiya get a make some dosh too.

The vintage will still be vintage!

If someone are willing to pay, they'll still be expesive.

As I'm working in a musicstore and we sell Gibson from €600 up to €7000 I see that every day.

If someone wants it, It'll cost.

The vintage 3-speed are still expensive same with the bodys, even dou the re-re is out.

I don't think the Vintage SRB's will be cheeper after this. If you want it really bad, you'll pay...

But the question is: Are the collectors going to use the re-re parts to complete their cars that they are going to sell?

Are they going to call it original, without telling bout the re-re parts?

Of course if the parts are "the same" as 30 years ago...

Badboy

I am also very excited about the chance to build one fresh out of the blister packs! However it does take away from the hunt for parts to build your srb up from the ground up; it was fun to search the bay etc to find that elusive part. For the diehard collectors let's not forget there are always the MK1 models that will remain rare, elusive etc.....

I'm excited - I've never owned, played with or even seen an SRB in the flesh, but they have so much history that I've always felt sorry that I wasn't a kid with the Sand Scorcher was released. I never had the opportunity to open that fresh new kit box on Christmas morning, to pull out that big round body and those little rubber wheels, to start bolting together all those scale metal parts.

Now, finally, I will get the chance to see what it would have been like to have been a child in 1980, putting together an SRB from the original box.

I've been saying since I rejoined this hobby that Tamiya don't make enough scale buggies - all they make is strange-looking things. Tamiya have choses to rejoin the scale market by re-issuing their classics, well that's fine by me.

I called my LHS yesterday to tell them the RR was being rereleased - and they've agreed to order me one in as soon as they're in the UK. Which will hopefully give me enough time to save up for it!!

from my LHS

we are already sending pre orders to tamiya in order to guarantee kits for customers from the first shipment, in fact the first shipment to canada will arrive 1 month or more before the first u.s. shipment, tentative arrival is late summer/early fall, if you want one i would stop by and get one on order soon

For the diehard collectors let's not forget there are always the MK1 models that will remain rare, elusive etc.....

I think this is a great point you really do have a 100% identifiable set of parts that make a MK1 and so those who want to can actively collect them.

Personally I can't belive this is happening, I have 2 old school SRBs niether will go any where but if I can I will get a NIB and build it. Cant wait.

Wow just found out my dad has one back in taiwan. its at my cousins house. Gonna pick up a new one when released and pick up the old RR when I go back to taiwan. gonna see what other kits my dad has back in taiwan.

First photos out @ tamiyablog ... wonder what's that next to the RR in the first pic. :)

I think you will find its going to be one in the Orange scheme.

it has the black bumper - expect to see NIP old ones on eBay very soon! :)

I think you will find its going to be one in the Orange scheme.

Yeah probably ... but the rear tyres look a lot bigger tho ... probably perspective of the photo.

Anyway ... I'm buying 3 when it comes out!!!