ChrisB

Anyone Tried Converting Landmax / Other Kyosho Nitro Buggies To Brushless + Lipo?

Just wondering if any one has tried this and what might be involved. I am hankering after one of the LandMax based rally cars, but realistically running nitro around where I live is difficult.

The power available from some of the more recent brushless setups seems to be improving all the time, and I already have LiPo packs, so was wondering if anyone has tried the conversion from nitro to brushless, and whats involved?

I've done it to a HPI MT2. You need make up a motor mount, and a clamp for the other end of the motor is advisable. Mod1 pinions should match the spur that is in the nitro gearbox. If the nitro gearbox is a 2 speed or uses a one-way you will also need to disable reverse in the ESC and parallel a servo on the same channel as the ESC to operate the brakes. It of course will have no reverse. Steering remains unchanged. Getting the right gearing can be a challenge. There are some calculators I've seen on some of the mod sites that will help work it out for you.

1:10 stadium truck or buggy will run a 540 sized high powered brushless motor and ESC fine. I have used the MambaMax 5700Kv in mine on 3s Li-Po. Fitted a fan to the ESC and motor to help control temps.

1:8 size and monster trucks is best to go to the larger 'truck' sized systems like the Mamba Monster which will handle upto 6s Li-Po, big power!

There are some conversion kits available for the more popular conversions like Losi 8ight buggy with Mamba Monster.

The brushless systems are more harsh on the driveline than the nitro engine was, a quick look at what has been upgraded on the Savage-Flux over the Savage 4.6SS nitro shows this well.

All in all, with the RTR trucks that are available now, it's almost more expensive to do a conversion than it is to buy one that is already brushless. I did mine 2 years ago when it was still rare.

I didn't try yet, but I assume the Novak brushless conversion kit will work on the Landmax 2 cause it is based on MP7.5

http://teamnovak.com/products/brushless/co...kits/kyosho.jpg

http://teamnovak.com/products/brushless/co...3D-1_Kyosho.pdf

Just wondering if any one has tried this and what might be involved. I am hankering after one of the LandMax based rally cars, but realistically running nitro around where I live is difficult.

The power available from some of the more recent brushless setups seems to be improving all the time, and I already have LiPo packs, so was wondering if anyone has tried the conversion from nitro to brushless, and whats involved?

Thanks guys for the useful tips. Looks like the Novak approach may be the simplest, but with convenience I suspect comes a price penalty :)

A setup that means I can revert the Landmax back to standard nitro config if required would be nice - I'll check out the Novak kits in more detail to see whats involved.

Cheers,

Chris