RA1028

Photos For Re-issue Rough Rider From Shizuoka Hobby Show 09

I agree, it's such a lame name, and didn't The Frog have a different name in Japan yet they re-released it worldwide as The Frog?

This is one thing that will definitely please the owners of the original NIBs I guess as the blister packs on this release take it dangerously close to near identical on initial appearance.

Why is the picture of the rough rider without a name?

Haven't they decided yet on witch name to use?

Will it be Rough rider with Buggy Champ on the blister or Buggy Champ all over?

Badboy

I wonder if brushless power will work with this. :)

Well, unless they also re-release a motor can which is the old (slightly smaller) diameter, a brushless may fit without modification!!!

It's a pity Tamiya didn't get license deals for the decals, but on the other hand, WillyChang and TC both make repro's if you want the 'originals.' The Black bumper indeed looks different, I think it's a tougher kind of plastic. I think the aluminum is a better grade/alloy than the old one, and as such limited changes on the mould were needed. Do remember that it's a mix of the Mk.I SRB (black bumper), Mk.II SRB (front shock towers for example are Mk.II) and re-re changes (antenna?). The tires I think will be lincensed as mentioned before the Brat re-re's were also Sand Blasters. The shocks look nice and I am 100% sure I will get these for my scorcher project (maybe even buy a NIB Buggy Champ as well).

I think Tamiya really did their best to satisfy Tamiya fans with a re-re, but made as many of those small differences as possible to keep the original one a collector's piece and not disappoint the vintage owner/collector too much :D

PS: All these (metal) parts look so much smoother on the pictures, or is it just me? Will this mean some bugs in the casts (like the lugs on the rear that limit the suspension travel that were uneven between the two sides) will be fixed as well? :P

To Post or not to Post? That is the Question?

Whatever Happened to Imagination?

Oh yes Tamiya hasn't got any!

I wished they'd stop all this re-release malarchy its getting boring.

Rubbish. The re-release boom got me back into the hobby, so much so that I am now collecting all of the great new modern stuff too. I bet there are hundreds, maybe thousands like me in the same position too. I reckon the company must be going through a boom period similar to the mid 1980's to be prepared to go ahead with something that no-one ever imagined they would.

Well I don't think that it's got to be one or the other, they do Re-re for the people who wants them and new models for the others(or same again) people.

You can't say they have been lazy on new designs recently have they?

Cant you?

Buggy Champ

58429 Jeep Wrangler Cr-01

58423Super ClodBuster

58418 Boomerang

There's 4 newish ones off the top of my head. All parts bin Specials as i call them ;-)

- new 3 speed chassis

-CR01 chassis not CC01

- M05

- TA05IFS

- DF03RA

- Baldre

Etc...TRF...

That's a lot of new R&D on the list

Rubbish. The re-release boom got me back into the hobby, so much so that I am now collecting all of the great new modern stuff too. I bet there are hundreds, maybe thousands like me in the same position too. I reckon the company must be going through a boom period similar to the mid 1980's to be prepared to go ahead with something that no-one ever imagined they would.

Everyone's entitled to there opinions.

And i bet that Tamiya Would sell ten times more if they had updated the platform but keeping it similar

and Designed a new hardbody.

That way the old cars could be repaired/rebuilt and the collectors could add a new car to there line up.

Rough Rider

Sand Scorcher

Ford Ranger

Super Champ

???

Then there'd be 5 Srb's not 4.

Heck they could release loads of different styles.

the Srb Boys would have a field day.

The old cars would hold more value and the new ones would be Appreciated more than oh just another re-release.

- new 3 speed chassis

-CR01 chassis not CC01

- M05

- TA05IFS

- DF03RA

- Baldre

Etc...TRF...

That's a lot of new R&D list

Fair Comment you got me there :)

And i bet that Tamiya Would sell ten times more if they had updated the platform but keeping it similar

Totally agree. I'd love to see the SS re-released on this chassis and then a completely new SRB bodyshell. That would be fantastic (for me, as an old-skool fan).

Everyone's entitled to there opinions.

That way the old cars could be repaired/rebuilt and the collectors could add a new car to there line up.

Rough Rider

Sand Scorcher

Ford Ranger

Super Champ

???

Then there'd be 5 Srb's not 4.

Heck they could release loads of different styles.

the Srb Boys would have a field day.

The old cars would hold more value and the new ones would be Appreciated more than oh just another re-release.

They would no doubt sell plenty if they did what you are suggesting, but no way more than they will sell with this re-release form of their choice.

At the end of the day there is not much you can do to change this design anyway if you want to stay remotely faithfull to the original. They've obviously just gone for beefing it up here and there and you cant ask for much more than that.

What I will slightly agree with you on is that the company should be looking to produce new buggies with a strong accent on realism in the looks department instead of just a performance chassis with a small and vaguely rounded piece of lexan sat on top of it.

Totally agree. I'd love to see the SS re-released on this chassis and then a completely new SRB bodyshell. That would be fantastic (for me, as an old-skool fan).

Tc member Volksrod was really onto something with this build.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...4920&id=140

Merging half a Superchamp with a Rough Rider to replicate the Funco Desert Racer.

I mean how cool would that be to have in your Srb line up?

They would no doubt sell plenty if they did what you are suggesting, but no way more than they will sell with this re-release form of their choice.

At the end of the day there is not much you can do to change this design anyway if you want to stay remotely faithfull to the original. They've obviously just gone for beefing it up here and there and you cant ask for much more than that.

What I will slightly agree with you on is that the company should be looking to produce new buggies with a strong accent on realism in the looks department instead of just a performance chassis with a small and vaguely rounded piece of lexan sat on top of it.

By changing the platform i was refering to The technical side of things.

You couldn't put a Modified Motor in the Original Gearbox without some light Machining.

The Lack of a Diff made the Handling very twitchy.

The Manual Esc was pretty useless

The Plastic bushes that held the Uprights in place were prone to wear.

The Uj's Also wear .

I could go on all day but we all know its traits and except some of them afterall they give it its characteristics.

Yep very cool indeed that Funco.

Actually they might do something along those lines, remember the F-350 => Juggenaut; Hilux => Mounty, Tundra? New body same chassis.

Let's hope, then they would have had their imagination back :)

Yep very cool indeed.

Actually they might do something along those lines, remember the F-350 => Juggenaut; Hilux => Mounty, Tundra? New body same chassis.

Let's hope, then they would have had their imagination back :)

If they did i might have to dust off my Wallet and evict the Moths.

Becuase its not opening for this one.

Where is Badboy, he hasn't posted in the last 30 seconds?

:lol:

He's probably feinted from all the excitement!

or he's busy selling body parts so he can buy more kits

gotta agree with some of the comments, this re re is great and i will do everything in my power to get one, but the RR body is getting sold and a modded beetle body going straight on top. although a new type of SRB (same chassis but different shell) would possibly blow people away even more! i have a SS shell hanging around that i was gonna put on somthing else, now im keeping it just for this.. all i need now is a ranger shell and have all 3 bodys for the 1 chassis :lol:

i guess tamiya is thinking lets release the RR as a 30th anniversary present to all our supporters, so they had to keep it in line with the original.. hopefully though the more they sell the more closer we may be to a SS re release?

gotta agree with some of the comments, this re re is great and i will do everything in my power to get one, but the RR body is getting sold and a modded beetle body going straight on top. although a new type of SRB (same chassis but different shell) would possibly blow people away even more! i have a SS shell hanging around that i was gonna put on somthing else, now im keeping it just for this.. all i need now is a ranger shell and have all 3 bodys for the 1 chassis :lol:

i guess tamiya is thinking lets release the RR as a 30th anniversary present to all our supporters, so they had to keep it in line with the original.. hopefully though the more they sell the more closer we may be to a SS re release?

Didn't the link to the promotional video stae at the end of the film, Sand Scorcher to follow or coming soon? Something like that anyway.

I bet your bottom dollar the 'Holy Grail' will be the talking point on the forum within the next 6 months.........watch this space.

What I don't understand is, why would they call it "Buggy Champ" instead of Rough Rider? Buggy Champ sound not really cool to me. Tamiya did not change the name on any other re-re. Why here? This is kinda wired remake.
Do you think it might have something to do with the original back in 1979 being called the Buggy Champ in Japanese?

BTW the Sand Scorcher was the Wagon Off Roader in Japanese and the Super Champ was the Fighting Buggy.

just alittle thought this one,

!. would the re-release of the SRB mean that hop-ups will start popping up from tamiya,3racing,GPM and the like? as with most tamiya's coming out these days? Just think 3racing Ball diffs that fit the re re srb and wait....yup fit all the orginal srb types cars too! no more endless nights of looking for that thorp diff anymore!

2. motor sizes? are we talking 540 motor size? if so no more hacking out old diff cases to fit that bigger/modern motor in!

anyone care to add to these thoughts?

Didn't the link to the promotional video stae at the end of the film, Sand Scorcher to follow or coming soon? Something like that anyway.

I bet your bottom dollar the 'Holy Grail' will be the talking point on the forum within the next 6 months.........watch this space.

I thought that was a TC users personal vid and that he meant he was doing a SS movie next?? :lol:

E2A:

This video from TamOR couldn't fit this news/topic better!!!

"In 1979 Tamiya released the Rough Rider, NOW! after 30 years... he's back!"

http://www.tamiyaclubmovies.com/movies/19212/mIA81G8EW8O.wmv

Not that the vid was posted at TC 08092008!!!

It's so right and awesome vid!!!

Check it out!!!

Enjoy

Badboy

A link to his videp room:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/movies.asp?id=19212&n=TamOR

Does the buggy champ make a good runner or is it all show?

I would describe them as different.

How good a runner does this sound. Underdamped, oversprung suspension, underpowered thanks to a heavy chassis, falls over when cornering hard on grippy surfaces, understeers everywhere followed by spinning out when cornering hard thanks to no diff. As for reliability the pot metal suspension bends when you hit anything even at low speeds, go fast enough and the parts snap. The first time you make a reasonable size jump the radio box cracks around the front well nut thanks to the chassis flexing too much. Thankfully the shocks have been replaced, the originals were usually sealed with silicone at the joints and mounted upside down to try and keep oil in them longer than 5 minutes.

It still attracts more attention than anything else when you run them though.

Was thinking about the body; do you think it's a thicker material etc. anyone who has owned one knows how weak the roof, body clip area, rear etc are especially when they are run as intended!