RA1028

Photos For Re-issue Rough Rider From Shizuoka Hobby Show 09

Yep very cool indeed that Funco.

Actually they might do something along those lines, remember the F-350 => Juggenaut; Hilux => Mounty, Tundra? New body same chassis.

Let's hope, then they would have had their imagination back :lol:

A beach buggy like the Sand Rover Manx style would be very nice on the new SRB chassis (without a cowboy for a driver).

I can't wait for release date!

Okay Guys Iam probably jumping the gun here but reading this thread and the way things are looking this car is gonna be a hot seller .

I would like to pre order but NOT from my LHS we have a love hate relationship ,I have learnt to love to hate him :lol:

So how can I pre order through an Ebay online shop for this Buggy plus parts ,I know I will prob pay extra but I dont want to miss out and the importer here in Australia Toy Traders puts a huge mark up on items they import ,Is there anyway of pre-ordering the buggy or do I have to cop it sweet and wait until actual release date ?

Any help in this matter would be very much appreciated

Regards

Swarm

Hey Swarm, Toy Traders ..... edited out this section because I probably shouldn't bag out on them in the forums ..... That's my experience with them anyway....

Castle Hill Hobbies is probably the best 'store' in NSW for Tamiya stuff, I will be checking with them soon to see if they are getting any in-stock, they might do a pre-order if they get confirmation from Toy Traders if they are going to import them, as you say, will probably be very expensive..

Stella Models and RC Champ are pretty quick on stocking the new releases, I know my Buggy Champ 2009 will most likely come from off-shore :lol:

Edited by pagedm_f350

Hey Swarm, Toy Traders ..... edited out this section because I probably shouldn't bag out on them in the forums ..... That's my experience with them anyway....

Castle Hill Hobbies is probably the best 'store' in NSW for Tamiya stuff, I will be checking with them soon to see if they are getting any in-stock, they might do a pre-order if they get confirmation from Toy Traders if they are going to import them, as you say, will probably be very expensive..

Stella Models and RC Champ are pretty quick on stocking the new releases, I know my Buggy Champ 2009 will most likely come from off-shore :lol:

If they are a bunch of muppets then feel free to let us know....unless it is for personal reasons of course :lol:

I'd recommend stella models, if the local distributor can't compete with some competition then leave them to it.

Yeah, I really try and support my local shops, I talk openenly with them about how even with exchange rates and postage I can still get most things cheaper from HK or Japan, lucky for them I hate waiting and most times it's worth the extra money to buy it from the local shop, unless a huge amount of savings can be made.

From my own experience Toy Traders will only import Tamiya products into Australia that 'they' think will sell, simple business right... the problem I have found is that they guys in charge of importing are old, old school business men and I think are out of touch with the current market and target consumers. I experienced this directly with them years ago when I was going to start my own store...

I think 80% of the time I go to my LHS to order parts there response is "the importer doesn't even have a listing for that part, they aren't importing it" and a lot of those were hop-ups/spares for Tamiya kits they do import!!!

They didn't import the Re-Re Pajero and it doesn't look like they will bring in the Wrangler, from memory they didn't get the Brat either :lol:

Anyway, back to topic, I really hope Toy Traders will decide to import the Re-Re Buggy Champ I really do, I hate that time frame between hitting the buy-it-now and when EMS drops it at work 4 days later... :lol:

Can't believe that one or two people here are criticising Tamiya for this release!

However I can understand that people who have gone to great trouble and expense to get the originals would feel sore. But as it has been said before, Tamiya is a business in hard economic times. They see a demand for these kits, they have the means to produce them, and they don't make money from sales of the old kits between collectors.

Anything that keeps Tamiya in business is good for us, right?

I would go so far as to say that had they released it with a different body, it would not have sold as well. The reason? People are going to buy the Rough Rider re-re for nostalgia. A release with a different body would sell primarily to people just after a source of chassis parts for the old cars. If you change the body, it does not hold quite the same nostalgia or appeal to collectors. And of course, it's cheaper than making a new mould.

But you must admit... Blister packs! This is a dead give-away that this re-release has been well targeted with collectors primarily in mind. Tamiya could have just thrown a bunch of parts bags in a kit and it would still sell well. But blister packs show that this is a definite nod to collectors and fans of these old style kits in general, not just the Rough Rider.

Yes, I agree that another bodyshell would have been cool, eg another Mint 400 racer, but it's nostalgia that is primarily going to sell these kits, and Tamiya know that.

Apart from that, it's the 30th anniversary of what was a huge landmark car kit for the company. That's why they've released it with the same body.

There's nothing to stop Tamiya doing a '5th SRB' down the track. Maybe that's their plan? After they've made a killing selling this re-re. But I doubt it would sell anywhere near as well, as it wouldn't trump the original release.

Only way they could trump this release and sell another huge amount of kits is to release the Sand Scorcher (I say give it 12 months)... :lol:

Mr Tamiya wasn't kidding at Nuremberg when he was saying Tamiya were going to be agressive with releases this year... M05... F104... TA05 revision... CR01... TB03... You certainly can't complain that Tamiya aren't releasing a load of new stuff to go with the old.

So... Party on! It's the 30th anniversary.

So far, we can assume there will be slightly different gearbox casings to hold modern motors without mods (yay!), and it appears the wheel hubs are separate, so you could potentially use modern wheels with hex adapters.

And I daresay that the modern dampers and springs/torsion bar will be updated to work a lot better than the old ones (that was certainly the case with the Frog's rear dampers), hopefully counteracting some of the oversprung/underdamped properties of the car.

If I had to guess, I would say these kits will be around the US$160-US$180 mark from the HK sellers, probably less than US$200.

- James

Mr Tamiya wasn't kidding at Nuremberg when he was saying Tamiya were going to be agressive with releases this year... M05... F104... TA05 revision... CR01... TB03... You certainly can't complain that Tamiya aren't releasing a load of new stuff to go with the old.

You missed the new rally chassis too, DF03RA, admittedly a buggy with rally suspension but still perfect for rallying in the dirt unlike the converted tourer chassis ones of past. Tamiya have also done the TRF models with the 801 and 501 for offroad. Very commited to new chassis designs in my eyes. The only chassis they haven't covered this year yet is a competition class 2WD buggy with some gearing options (Must be no TRF team racing in the class).

30th Anniversary is a big year for RC. I know I've spent more this year than any other year on Tamiya products and more to come when these re-res hit the shelves.

You missed the new rally chassis too, DF03RA... 801... 501...

Yep, more new stuff...

Tamiya have even been a bit adventurous with the bodysets they've released, eg Amemiya SGC-7, EBBRO BTEC Maziora 350R and ARTA Garaiya.

Not to mention the Tundra hi-lift, and the fact there's not one but TWO new lexan bodies for the CR01 (Land Cruiser FJ40 and the Unimog).

- James

Yeah, I really try and support my local shops, I talk openenly with them about how even with exchange rates and postage I can still get most things cheaper from HK or Japan, lucky for them I hate waiting and most times it's worth the extra money to buy it from the local shop, unless a huge amount of savings can be made.

Ditto, Toy Traders are that hopeless that even my friend that works in the Local hobby store gets his tamiya cars from Stella models.

It's a shame really. Blame the internet, we can get it quicker & cheaper from overseas

Jak

Not to mention the Tundra hi-lift, and the fact there's not one but TWO new lexan bodies for the CR01 (Land Cruiser FJ40 and the Unimog).

Make that 3, you forgot the new Bronco :lol:

Ditto, Toy Traders are that hopeless that even my friend that works in the Local hobby store gets his tamiya cars from Stella models.

It's a shame really. Blame the internet, we can get it quicker & cheaper from overseas

Jak

Hey Jak, I know Aaron, he told me about you and said to say Hi someday :lol:

Where is Badboy, he hasn't posted in the last 30 seconds?

:lol:

I'm here!!! It's 7,34 ih the morning here in sweden... Gaaaaassssp.... ZZZZZZZ...ZZZZ....

OH!! Rough Rider!!! It's still no dream!!! YEAAAHHHH!!!!

He's probably feinted from all the excitement!

or he's busy selling body parts so he can buy more kits

Nope! I've been saving for another Sicily trip but now I don't know... Moahahahah!!!!

Or girlfriend finally had enough...

She's actully in on this one!!!

Just looked at me when I said I'm planning to buy 3-4 of this!!! :lol:

Wonder, will there be a RTR RR?

And are Tamiya going to re-release the old promo videos?

Please TAMIYA WE WANT DOES OL' VIDS!!!

Do I spot an Auto Haus sticker on the side behind the cockpit?

img1675_13052009111307_3.jpg

It doesn't show on the artwork... Hmmmm....

Badboy

Hmmmm... I've been here for un hour and no replies?

Badboy

Hmmmm... I've been here for un hour and no replies?

Badboy

I'm still here, checking in every 30 mins or so waiting for more photos/details etc :lol:

I'm still here, checking in every 30 mins or so waiting for more photos/details etc :lol:

Same here :lol:

Badboy

just alittle thought this one,

!. would the re-release of the SRB mean that hop-ups will start popping up from tamiya,3racing,GPM and the like? as with most tamiya's coming out these days? Just think 3racing Ball diffs that fit the re re srb and wait....yup fit all the orginal srb types cars too! no more endless nights of looking for that thorp diff anymore!

anyone care to add to these thoughts?

I was thiniking the same thing myself. I recently bought a set of hardened steel CRP front axel shafts. They solved the never ending bending of the front shafts and because they are straight make the front suspension work better.

I have also been looking for a thorpe diff on and off for about 6 months, I will stop now and start praying :lol:

has any company released any hop ups for any of the other rereleases though?

more new photos from Tamiya Japan:

1. Radio box should be identical in shape but not sure about the material.

2. Side wall on front tires look different.

3. same metal aerial

4. rubber switch cover

img1675_14052009095606_1.jpg

img1675_14052009095606_2.jpg

img1675_14052009095606_3.jpg

img1675_14052009095606_4.jpg

img1675_14052009095606_5.jpg

img1675_14052009102208_1.jpg

I hope they make lots of them - simply stunning to actually see this coming to reality. Bring on the Sand Scorcher.

AWESOME effort RA1028. thank you very much. this thing looks better and better..

Very true....im a donkey sometimes :-D

Its weird seeing this being re-released, almost waiting for someone to admit its a hoax.

Actually it looks like you may be right. Those new photos confirm that the front tyres are not Sand Blasters. Unless these are merely pre-production items I wonder why they included Sand Blaster tyres on the re-re Brat but not on this kit?

Another thing to make the collectors happy I guess.

Honestly guys I wouldn't get your hopes built up for a Scorcher re-release. Obviously we now know that the company has all of the tooling and cost requirements within their control to bring it out...even with blister packs...but clearly there is a licencing issue with the Beetle bodyshell. By bringing out the Rough Rider they have shown that they really do listen to customer demand and if at all possible will re-release the most in demand vintage stuff. This means that they are also aware that the Monster Beetle is up there with the Scorcher in terms of demand for a re-issue and after nearly 4 years of having the opportunity to do it they still have not done. The only reason for this must be to do with licencing of the Baja bodyshell.

If this proves to be a limited edition then dont take the risk. Buy 3 of them and hunt down Scorcher/Blitzer Beetle/Ford Ranger bodyshells. Then if they do re-re the Scorcher it's just a huge bonus.

Ohhh... Man... I... Speach.... Less...

What about the pic #1 in the background?

Does it says order a T-shirt?

Badboy