RA1028

Photos For Re-issue Rough Rider From Shizuoka Hobby Show 09

sorry if already mentioned, but is the new chassis GRP black?? Its looks like it on the photos.

We can allways hope!

I want the old videos as well!!!

Any news about a diff?

Badboy

Anyone who can read Japanese here? The writing on the first photo of the second set photos tell us the changes.

My guess is there is no diff. If it does, Tamiya will mention it and it will be in one of the photo.

OHHHH ..........................Its Beautiful cant wait to get my hands on a NIB or 2 :lol:

If they have tooled up for this then who knows what else they are going to do its no easy job tooling up ..Makes me think that more SRB's might come out who knows maybe even a new model .

Why tool up to bring out one kind of buggy when all the SRB's used the same parts dosent make sense not financially smart anyways .And the new battery why make a new battery for one kind of Buggy/car nope there is more to this than meets the eye .

I bet they bring out more of these old Beauties

I with you Swarm, a lot of manufacturing expense just for one release, my money is on that this won't be last only SRB for the next 30 :)

Very nice an all that, but that's the end of me collecting vintage cars.

Bad enough when the Re-Re Frog came out, now this. All that wasted time, effort and money. Might as well stick the whole lot in the bin. Better that than sit here looking at collection that reminds me of my mistake getting in to this in the first place. All that money, all that time, all that effort, just blown away with every re-release. Sweet, really sweet.

Thanks a lot Tamiya. Dump on the dedicated vintage collectors. Cheers.

Sorry if that sounds bitter and twisted, but that is exactly how I feel right now. Gutted.

Yep, you sound very bitter and twisted. I kind of felt the same, maybe not to the same extent when I paid AU$400.00 for an original Wrangler body and then 2 months later they re-released the thing again, but hey, I got over it, I still have an original Wrangler, it didn't change my Wrangler, only my attitude towards it..

If you are going to let something like this rock you to the soul of your passion, collecting vintage R/C, then maybe it wasn't really your passion? How was it a mistake? Were you going to sell them all trying to make a fortune from Vintage kits or did you buy them because you loved them? You still have vintage SRB's don't you, this re-re hasn't change that.

Chin up acorn, in a few months you will be over it and you will still have your vintage collection ;)

has any company released any hop ups for any of the other rereleases though?

Good point, come to think about it i'm not sure guess i'll have to look into that.

I'm Sure these companys have anuff business noodles to at least look into it?

just look at the hype on the forums (here included) it takes a no brainer to see there would be a good market to be made.

Good point, come to think about it i'm not sure guess i'll have to look into that.

I'm Sure these companys have anuff business noodles to at least look into it?

just look at the hype on the forums (here included) it takes a no brainer to see there would be a good market to be made.

Hands up who thinks 3Racing will jump on this wagon :lol::)

nothing like a good clean up to get rid of the blue alum from possable hop-ups anyway you'll never see the diff anyway.

Having alittle more think about the hop-up question i'll speculate it wont be tamiya to be out the blocks first if at all, but then look what happened with the CR-01.

As for licensing for a ss shell i dont see it been a huge problem as tamiya allready has the rights for the m04 Beetle.

but then lets not jump the gun yet eh?

Oh and tamiya allready do a truggy infact 2,

The Nitrage 5.2 and there new TRF 801xt (the price is rather scary though)

God Im getting drawen into this debate!

Funny the way people get angry about re res - its not fair wawawaww cry tantrum etc. its good that these old and interesting kits are re released, and getting angry about the investment is silly. you must have thought of the risks associated with it, like any investment there is a possibility of something happening. As far as tamiya goes, some people have been gettiong obscene returns on their nib cars, and it is very rare that the size of a return is not in some way proportional to the risk. (also talking about time as well as money here)

You missed the new rally chassis too, DF03RA, admittedly a buggy with rally suspension but still perfect for rallying in the dirt unlike the converted tourer chassis ones of past. Tamiya have also done the TRF models with the 801 and 501 for offroad. Very commited to new chassis designs in my eyes. The only chassis they haven't covered this year yet is a competition class 2WD buggy with some gearing options (Must be no TRF team racing in the class).

30th Anniversary is a big year for RC. I know I've spent more this year than any other year on Tamiya products and more to come when these re-res hit the shelves.

the fabled new TRF 2wd!!

as far as i know all of the TRF drivers are free to run which ever 2wd they like and then the 501/511 in 4wd.

Hupo Honigl was running the 511 and AE rc10B4 at the last euros i think.

Just a thought,

but has anyone else noticed how Tamiya are choosing to launch the next wave of battery tech, with a re release of one of the most influential RC models ever, interesting no?

how can they be accused of not being imaginative or backwards looking when thye take a step like this? No Ones doing liFe at the moment, yet they've championed it. cool!

Funny the way people get angry about re res - its not fair wawawaww cry tantrum etc. its good that these old and interesting kits are re released, and getting angry about the investment is silly. you must have thought of the risks associated with it, like any investment there is a possibility of something happening. As far as tamiya goes, some people have been gettiong obscene returns on their nib cars, and it is very rare that the size of a return is not in some way proportional to the risk. (also talking about time as well as money here)

I wish people would stop using the term "investing in vintage kits" unless we are talking emotion investment, maybe we are :)

What did a Rough Rider cost new back in 79? lets say $400 - $500 dollars? in 30 years these are fetching NIB what, $2000 on a good day ;):lol:

I tell you what, all the guys that don't want to buy a re-re because it wrecked your vintage collection give me the $300 bucks the Buggy Champ will be and I will invest it for you, call me in 30 years time and I will give you your $2000 investment gain, as long as I can keep the rest........ :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though, if you paid big bucks for an SRB a few years ago with the sole purpose of re-trading it you have the wrong hobby, in reality I bet every single one of you bought it because you wanted a Vintage NIB SRB kit..... You still have it!!!!

I am just going to shutup now and go back and drool over RA1028's awesome pics, thanks buddy :lol:

I wish people would stop using the term "investing in vintage kits" unless we are talking emotion investment, maybe we are :)

What did a Rough Rider cost new back in 79? lets say $400 - $500 dollars? in 30 years these are fetching NIB what, $2000 on a good day ;):lol:

I can tell you that the Ford Ranger was about $320 in at the start of 1984.

LiPo vs LiFe - some info on why tamiya went that way,

SAFETY - LiFePO4 A123 cells are not prone to "thermal runaway" when subjected to over-voltage charging. As a result, it is extremely unlikely that they could catch fire, even if you or your charger make a mistake in settings.

FAST CHARGE - LiFePO4 A123 cells can be safely charged at rates up to 5C! That means that charging can be accomplished in as little as 15 minutes. A Li-poly pack takes more than twice that long, at best. If you compare a Li-poly battery pack with an A123 battery pack of the same weight, you will typically get more flight time from the Li-poly pack "Per Flight". But when you consider the fast charge capability of the A123 LiFePO4 pack, you may well get much more total Flight Time per Day.

CYCLE LIFE - A123 data states a maximum discharge rate of 30C. While the cells are capable of 30C continuous rates, voltage will drop substantially. As such, our extensive tests lead us to recommend Prop/Motor/Battery combinations such that 20C is the maximum current drawn when the A123 pack is freshly charged. Tests show that when used properly the A123 packs are capable of well over +300 cycles with less than 15% drop in capacity.

SHELF LIFE - In addition to their excellent cycle life, A123 LiFePO4 cells have been shown to degrade very little over a two-year period while unused. Even the best Li-poly may lose 10% capacity or more over two years of storage. Poor quality Li-poly may become unusable in less then a year, by comparison.

DURABLE CONSTRUCTION - The cylindrical A123 cell construction is more durable than typical Li-poly cells, and so less likely to incur daily dents, dings, and damage from light crashes.

Total Cost of Ownership - A123 LiFePO4 cylindrical cells are very reasonably priced in comparison to quality Li-poly alternatives "Up Front". But the real value comes in over time, as the long Cycle Life, long Shelf Life, and Durable Construction all combine to lower the total cost per flight over the life of an A123 battery pack. In other words, you get a lot more flights for the money you spend. In particular, don't be fooled by the low initial cost of "some" Li-poly packs. In many cases these packs provide even less energy density than LiFePO4 cells, can not be safely fast charged and often last less than 20 flights before "worn out".

To be honest I had never heard of LiFe until now, what type of charger do you need? Will my current LiPo charger be suitable? I have an LRP Pulsar 3

Hmm, I'd love to see a Ford Bronco body on the SRB chassis. With a huge wing on the roof, Blazer style! :)

What I don't get is:

They release a Mercedes Unimog, a Toyota Landcruiser and now a Ford Bronco on the CR-01.

Without any license issues, obviously.

Why should it be a Problem to re-re the Ranger? Although it would be a shame, I have 3 Ranger shells sitting on my desk. :lol:

not entirely sure at the moment, a lot of new balancers and chargers seem to work, my old ripmax says no.

lrp? dunno mate, give em a call!

I can tell you that the Ford Ranger was about $320 in at the start of 1984.

Eh? Are you sure? Here in the UK they were ~£80. Surely the exchange rate wasn't $4 to £1 in 1984?

wow tamiya should bring out a new car called the WAAAAAAAAMBULANCE for all the collectors that are annoyed with this. :lol:

glad tamiya are starting to use LiFe batterys just as long as thay ditch the silly old plugs as well lets just hope it's something like deans (and not some new plug, there far to many "odd" plugs out there)

I can see why thay went with LiFe, i've just switched lipo's on one of my cars and i have to watch that charger like a hawk! bite nails and all that just to make sure nothing goes wrong!

But trust tamiya to take the safe option. I checked the setting on my charger and yup it will happly take LiFe cells..one less thing to add to the shopping list then

Umm stupid question does anybody know the number of this kit as Iam doing a pre-order for 2 NIB's

...Thanks guys

Umm stupid question does anybody know the number of this kit as Iam doing a pre-order for 2 NIB's

...Thanks guys

...Thanks guys