RA1028

Photos For Re-issue Rough Rider From Shizuoka Hobby Show 09

I have these same A123 cells in my M04 and Balsa F1 boat though 3s and not 2s. Very powerful and comparable to Li-Po on the discharge. Much quicker to recharge. Both of these vehicles are brushless.

4600Kv on 6.6v is still ~30,000rpm, and with 1100mAh I expect to get a 25min runtime driving it in a scale manner. (I get almost 2hrs from the 4600Kv and 4000mAh Li-Po in a Super Champ).

I've been charging my A123 cells on the balancer with my regular Li-Po charger. The people that sold me the 9.9v packs claimed it was fine and I've had no ill effects to the cells that I can tell.

most new multifunction chargers will do Li Fe. i wonder why tamiya picked such low capactiy ones?

So how will you open those blister packs?

Will you cut each part open as you need it? or carefully remove the card from the back to access all the parts at once?

Me, I think I would remove the card from the back.

Will you cut each part open as you need it? or carefully remove the card from the back to access all the parts at once?

Remove the card from the back! Dont want to damage the kit box do we? :lol: :lol:

Glad to see this re re. Even though I've recently spent about £300 restoring my old SS I hope the re re that one too.

Glad to see this re re. Even though I've recently spent about £300 restoring my old SS I hope the re re that one too.

I'm of the same opinion - I was contemplating selling mine a few months back but not now for obvious reasons. I'd still like to get a reissue just to have the pleasure of building a new kit up as i'd have never had the opertunity otherwise. i'm sure there will be a few interesting examples built up with some nice tasty mods.. :-)

I just think back to all those threads over the years saying they'd never release an srb because of licensing / tooling etc etc etc .. now this is released nothing will be sacred and in my opinion expect the unexpected.. they'll be more to come ..

The originals will still be originals so I don't see why there are people upset about this i think this is great and I hope the Scorcher, F150 and Super Champ are next to follow.

I am all happy about this. I sold most of my used parts on eBay after I know the re-issue. I still have a 90% new MK1 Sand Scorcher and a 90% new RR chassis with wheels and tires which I won't sell even I know Tamiya will re-issue them.

The originals will always be originals which carry a lot of history in them. The re-issue give more people a chance to built and play this childhood dream of us.

I don't think the NIB collectors will be too upset about this. But those people who spend too much on used parts to build runners will be more upset about this. Because they don't care as much about if the parts are 'real vintage' or not and they know they can save a lot if buy them now instead.

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg...

No one knows what will come next :lol:

Will there be a Sand Scorcher or a Ford Ranger?

Mayer Manx?

The possibilitys are endless!!!

I'll rip mine open as I'm buying more than one :lol::lol:;)

No. just kidding, I'll open mine from the back i guess...

I just can't get my eyes of this thread!!!

Badboy

Ok, I read over 10 pages of this thread and not a single word about the possible lexan bodyshell that was mentioned in the other thread. RA1028 said it will come with both a lexan and ABS shell. Any new info on this?

Isn't it a bit early to pre-order; guess it depends on the depth of your pocket but wouldn't you be gutted if after pre-ordering you found you could buy it for significantly less elsewhere?

For those who have pre-ordered have you been told the actual price yet?

I'm waiting till it arrives on ebay so I can compare price

Badboy

As Tamiya has decided to change the name to 'Buggy Champ' do you think they would name a further release 'Super Champ'? Are the names too similar? I wouldn't be surprised if hey do release the Super Champ howevr, give it a different name again to please the collectors of the original issue Super Champ. What do you think?

For me it's going to be an 8 year old kid on Christmas morning, no holding back :) seriously though, I might attempt to seperate the blister from the backing card, but I am not going to lose sleep over it ;)

It's going to be kind of surreal getting stuck into the build on this, gee I might have to take a special day off work as a sick build day ;)

To those of you who are crying their lungs out because of how much money you "lost" on these NiB kits you just bought a few weeks ago... hey, you are the ones who made the vintage market like it is today, ie something a lot of vintage enthusiasts can't (or shall I now say couldn't?) afford to enjoy any more...

While I generally agree with this, and it's a good reason for collectors to be annoyed, this is not the only reason they are not enthusiastic about this release. I'd say it's not even close to being the primary reason.

I totally agree that if you're in this hobby primarily for the money you're in the wrong hobby. As with any speculating, you have to be prepared to occasionally take a loss.

But most collectors aren't in it for the money. They are in it for the nostalgia, for the thrill of the chase, the thrill of unearthing something rare from someone's attic, for the love of 'rescuing' something rare by restoring it, and for the pride in owning something that is rare.

The greatest part the appeal of collecting the vintage kits was the exclusivity. It feels good to finally find a hard to find vintage kit. It feels good to have a nicely restored vintage SRB because they are rare. And it gave you bragging rights to people who remember these kits fondly that you own something desirable, rare and expensive. They become almost veblen goods.

Now, they will be easy to get, the 'prestige' and bragging rights are gone. Everyone can have one. They are now common. The thrill of the hunt is gone. The pride of the models you worked so hard to find and restore now counts for nought because some Joe can walk into a hobby shop, part with a few bills and own one too.

I can fully understand this. But blaming Tamiya is a bit of a stretch.

If you bought into a vintage kit at the height of the prices - well that was your choice to pay those prices, especially recently knowing that Tamiya were steadily reissuing old kits, and Tamiya had never said the SRB was off the table, so odds were good on this car being re-released. They even gave subtle warning that this car was on their radar with the Tamtech and coffee cup models. You cannot blame Tamiya for your choices, or for wanting to capitalise.

And what is tiring is that people keep coming up with reasons to justify to themselves why they thought Tamiya would never do this. Too costly, they can't mould metal anymore, licensing issues, moulds are all gone, the designs are too **** for Tamiya to smear their company name by releasing a car with such poor performance today... All baloney, and anyone subscribing to these thoughts is in denial.

I would say it is very likely that Tamiya will re-release another SRB, and if they do it is almost certain it will be the Sand Scorcher due to the popularity of this kit. It's the only SRB kit Tamiya could re-issue that will trump this release and get wallets to open again.

The ONLY obstruction I can possibly think of to the Sand Scorcher and Monster Beetle kits being re-released is the fact the body shell mould was modified for the Monster Beetle and again subsequently for the Blitzer Beetle. Degradation of the mould may have necessitated the slight changes in the shell for the MB and again for the BB. Re-engineering the existing mould to return it to a state to make identical Sand Scorcher shells may be difficult, as they would have to restore the unique details that made the Sand Scorcher shell what it was, and making a new mould would be costly.

Tamiya might re-release the SS with a BB shaped body mould, which would no doubt keep collector's happy, but would reduce the appeal of the kit as a re-issue.

So just remember that old collectores aren't all just in it for the money, and I'd dare say most couldn't care less about the loss. Yes, some people will be sore about the devaluation of their collections. But they care more about the lack of prestige and exclusivity.

And a true collector would take consolation in knowing that their kits are the original vintage items, and will still find a challenge in being able to determine if the parts are vintage or reissue era.

- James

Ok, I read over 10 pages of this thread and not a single word about the possible lexan bodyshell that was mentioned in the other thread. RA1028 said it will come with both a lexan and ABS shell. Any new info on this?

I read somewhere about having a lexan body. Now I think the informaton should be wrong. sorry about that!

As Tamiya has decided to change the name to 'Buggy Champ' do you think they would name a further release 'Super Champ'? Are the names too similar? I wouldn't be surprised if hey do release the Super Champ howevr, give it a different name again to please the collectors of the original issue Super Champ. What do you think?

Japan local market always refer the Rough Rider as Buggy Champ. In translated to Japanese it is call バギーチャンプ. My guess is they couldn't find a good Japanese word to match the meaning of Rough Rider.

Japan local market always refer the Rough Rider as Buggy Champ. In translated to Japanese it is call ãƒã‚®ãƒ¼ãƒãƒ£ãƒ³ãƒ—. My guess is they couldn't find a good Japanese word to match the meaning of Rough Rider.

I would just like to thankyou RA1028 ( Peter) for all the helpfull information you have been providing for us ,You are a great guy.

Thankyou for all the great pictures and for being so patient and understanding with all of our questions regarding the Release of this Buggy .

Take care mate and all the very best .

Stuart

I would just like to thankyou RA1028 for all the helpfull information you have been providing for us ,You are a great guy.

Thankyou for all the great pictures and for being so patient and understanding with all of our questions regarding the Release of this Buggy .

Take care mate and all the very best .

Stuart

I have learned a lot from TC and it is time for me to make some contribution. :)

Thanks

Peter

While I generally agree with this, and it's a good reason for collectors to be annoyed, this is not the only reason they are not enthusiastic about this release. I'd say it's not even close to being the primary reason.

I totally agree that if you're in this hobby primarily for the money you're in the wrong hobby. As with any speculating, you have to be prepared to occasionally take a loss.

But most collectors aren't in it for the money. They are in it for the nostalgia, for the thrill of the chase, the thrill of unearthing something rare from someone's attic, for the love of 'rescuing' something rare by restoring it, and for the pride in owning something that is rare.

The greatest part the appeal of collecting the vintage kits was the exclusivity. It feels good to finally find a hard to find vintage kit. It feels good to have a nicely restored vintage SRB because they are rare. And it gave you bragging rights to people who remember these kits fondly that you own something desirable, rare and expensive. They become almost veblen goods.

Now, they will be easy to get, the 'prestige' and bragging rights are gone. Everyone can have one. They are now common. The thrill of the hunt is gone. The pride of the models you worked so hard to find and restore now counts for nought because some Joe can walk into a hobby shop, part with a few bills and own one too.

I can fully understand this. But blaming Tamiya is a bit of a stretch.

If you bought into a vintage kit at the height of the prices - well that was your choice to pay those prices, especially recently knowing that Tamiya were steadily reissuing old kits, and Tamiya had never said the SRB was off the table, so odds were good on this car being re-released. They even gave subtle warning that this car was on their radar with the Tamtech and coffee cup models. You cannot blame Tamiya for your choices, or for wanting to capitalise.

And what is tiring is that people keep coming up with reasons to justify to themselves why they thought Tamiya would never do this. Too costly, they can't mould metal anymore, licensing issues, moulds are all gone, the designs are too **** for Tamiya to smear their company name by releasing a car with such poor performance today... All baloney, and anyone subscribing to these thoughts is in denial.

I would say it is very likely that Tamiya will re-release another SRB, and if they do it is almost certain it will be the Sand Scorcher due to the popularity of this kit. It's the only SRB kit Tamiya could re-issue that will trump this release and get wallets to open again.

The ONLY obstruction I can possibly think of to the Sand Scorcher and Monster Beetle kits being re-released is the fact the body shell mould was modified for the Monster Beetle and again subsequently for the Blitzer Beetle. Degradation of the mould may have necessitated the slight changes in the shell for the MB and again for the BB. Re-engineering the existing mould to return it to a state to make identical Sand Scorcher shells may be difficult, as they would have to restore the unique details that made the Sand Scorcher shell what it was, and making a new mould would be costly.

Tamiya might re-release the SS with a BB shaped body mould, which would no doubt keep collector's happy, but would reduce the appeal of the kit as a re-issue.

So just remember that old collectores aren't all just in it for the money, and I'd dare say most couldn't care less about the loss. Yes, some people will be sore about the devaluation of their collections. But they care more about the lack of prestige and exclusivity.

And a true collector would take consolation in knowing that their kits are the original vintage items, and will still find a challenge in being able to determine if the parts are vintage or reissue era.

- James

I agree with this statement - The enjoyment of restoring something that can longer be bought new is an important element of RC collecting. Look at the member showrooms, these are places of pride of owning - some rare - some not so rare - but all meaningful to the owner. The members who take the time to do a first class restoration are proud to show their work- it is a strong sense of accomplishment, especialy when it came to the SRB's and older 3 speed trucks. I have looked at showrooms with only SRB's or the old 3 speeds - these kits are meaningfull to the owners who have taken the time to collect, restore and display. I do not believe the collecting part of the hobby has anything to do with making money for most collectors, it has to do with the time, research, locating, restoring and displaying of these old kits. When I see a well restored buggy, car or truck, it inspires me to want to do mine restoration and to try to do it as well as the example that has inspired me. With Tamiya now releasing the re-issued kits, we will lose a piece of this important element of the hobby. As the quote goes "be careful what you wish for"

Japan local market always refer the Rough Rider as Buggy Champ. In translated to Japanese it is call バギーチャンプ. My guess is they couldn't find a good Japanese word to match the meaning of Rough Rider.

they probably do have a good translation of "rough rider"... but just not suitable for hobby use

(well not our innocent toycar hobby usage anyway)

:)

WillyChang should start mass produce the original SRB decals and offer discount for us :D

done! :) remastered SRB sheets already available @ U-KNOW-WHERE

ok, in celebration of 58441... how about this

FIRST tClub FELLA TO RECEIVE THEIR 58441 KIT,

TAKE A PICTURE OF THE KIT & EMAIL IT TO ME

will receive 1 sheet of SRB Digital Perfection decals

(sheet A or B, your choice)

so you can build a retro box-art re-re!

;);):)

email: willy@PandaGFX.com