RA1028

Photos For Re-issue Rough Rider From Shizuoka Hobby Show 09

Given T makes all its tooling inhouse, it doesn't cost as much as some ppl think.

Main cost would be manhours; by the sounds of it they didn't have the original CAD data and probably had to recreate

new data files from 3D scans... which they then cleaned up & "strengthened". They do look rather chunkier!

hmm.... will we see TRF-spec Buggy Champ?? blue ano'd billet alloy B)

i'd buy a watch to wear, no point to collect NIB never worn :D but yeah other hoarders are picky about their Daytonas.

I personally wouldn't care as Zenith/IWC/etc is pretty reputable ... as long as it ain't Swatch mfg'd the innards!!

What i do have trouble is are with "modified" pieces eg a basemodel AirKing recased in 750AU with aftermarket diamond dial etc.

Are they "fakes" even though they've still got a genuine Rolex engine inside? Or are they like a F360 with garish bodykit?? it gets hard

First the 2010 Camaro now this!

I thought I was wasting my time years ago when I provided feedback on Tamiya's website asking for them to re-release the SandScorcher. Well this is not the SandScorcher, but close enough.

If AMC decides to come back and Re-Release the Cj-7 I will loose my mind..

ED

Right, we either keep on topic or the posts get deleted.

Firstly, ONE person posted

and this has been followed by all these, and implications from others

Now every reply from the people who do actually collect vintage r/c have several times pointed out why they have collected, and that the one reason that's constantly repeated is that the most important part is the time and effort involved in rebuilding the cars. For all but a tiny few no one cares about the value apart from the bunch of people who find any excuse to have a go at those of us who put the effort in to restore and run the old cars.

If anyone wants to have a go at others about the reason they collect vintage cars, then start another thread about it but be prepared to have your dogmas broken.

err i restore vintage cars and run them too, have done for years....only difference with me is im not getting my panties in a bunch because a toy car is being released. i guess we all got a bit too over excited about the fantastic thing tamiya has just done for us, to have someone come along and **** on our fire :) i apologise :lol:

only difference with me is im not getting my panties in a bunch because a toy car is being released.

It's not a toy, its a 1/10 Scale Model Car Suitable for Radio Control! :)

Bring on the SRB's. A scale looking radio control buggy with loads of metal parts isn't exactly far fetched in todays RC market anyway, regardless of the fact that its a re release of an old design.

Scale RC has been popular for a long while now, with off road trail trucks, big rigs, tanks etc... The 30 year old rough rider somewhat ironically brings something "new" to the market.

After market parts are being produced by countless small companies, in machined and cast metal. If small companies can make small production runs of metal components profitable, and large company like Tamiya can surely produce a large production run of a complete product and make it work. Mass production makes things cheaper. Tamiya know their market, and know their company image. Vintage RC is popular. Their selling plenty of Frog buggies. The rough rider was one of their finest achievements. Put all those factors together, coupled with the 30 year anniversary and this release doesn't seem like a surprise at all.

If its been made once, it can be made again. That goes for anything. There is nothing remarkable about cast metal that represents VW suspension when it comes to manufacture, Tamiya make their own Nitro engines for a start :lol:

Richard Branson with his own airline couldn't. I don't think anyone else would be able to if he couldn't. He tried very hard as well.

Paul.

without straying too far off topic, the point i'm trying to put across is that the technical capability to produce a concorde is still here. It's only social and finantial issues that would get in the way of reproducing one. On the small scale of the rough rider, tamiya saw no reason not to rerelease it. To them its just a product. Cast metal is nothing special, blister packing is simple and the box is easy to print. I love the srb chassis and i'm really glad i've now got the chance to own one from 'new'. But being in the hobby industry myself with a company that has a similar loyal fanbase i can put myself in tamiyas position, i'd find it really amusing reading all these comments about a product, including my own!

only difference with me is im not getting my panties in a bunch because a toy car is being released.
That's the point. Apart from one person, who was upset that restoring an old SRB will no longer be the challenge it once was, none of the vintage fans are upset. My comments earlier relate to the loads of non vintage fans who saw it as a chance to have a cheap dig at people who are committed to the hobby of collecting and restoring vintage r/c, for some inexplicable reason the value of the cars seems to matter to these people more than to the collectors themselves. :lol:

If a rich billionaire wished for his own Concorde, I'm sure he could have one built. It's all relative I suppose. :lol:

no, but he does have his own island....

I am in with vintage Tamiya stuff since 1986 (23 years now). I have had quite a large collection of vintage Tamiya cars from the 70's and 80's. All disassembled to their single pieces, cleaened each single screw and fully rebuilt. Spent days, nights and hours. I chasing spare parts when there was no internet and no ebay or TC existing. When ebay came up, it was fun to win auctions for your wanted parts. It was the hunt and build feeling that was a great pleasure. I sold almost all my vintage collection some years ago cause I did not have time for it anymore. Restarted with the vintage SRB's and other vintage cars and sold them again. Lucky me before the news starting widely spreading around. Well...I always been a collector but I must earn my mony and I would bite my *** if I'd kept all the high priced vintage cars longer then I actually did. Sure, an original is always an original. No any re-release can take this away. Most orignals are linkages to memories and can tell a history. They are a part of the History. A new re-release cannot tell any story of the past 20 Years...

However, as all the re-releases selling well, they are the only counter part to the new modern, faceless plastic bangers, the will not stop re-releasing their classics. I was never really sure what they will re-release but when the will re-release a model. And I would not say that Tamiya will re-release the old F1 / Racing cars too.

At the end I am happy with their re-releases. They look same, have small improvements and you can really run them without having remorse wearing down or even crush parts. Spares are available plenty of numbers and you get them for peanuts. I do not care running my Hotshot as I did run my Boomerang in 1986. Hope it will be same with the SRB re-release.

I sure thing, the original parts will face a devaluation because many people will start buying new parts for their runners, projects. Lower demand will drop price. But nevertheless, Tamiya is a profid oriented company and so their step to re-release their most classics was just a very logical step. I can't wait Tamiya re-release the Super Champ.

If a rich billionaire wished for his own Concorde, I'm sure he could have one built.

That's probably the fastest way to becoming a millionaire... (unfortunately from the wrong direction).

I've heard mixed feelings from collectors about the SRB re-re but overall most are extremely positive about it.

Back on topic... Anyone with an old SRB able to post pics of the old SRB parts with the pics we have so far of the same parts from the re-re? So we can see how close they are?

- J

done! :D remastered SRB sheets already available @ U-KNOW-WHERE

ok, in celebration of 58441... how about this

FIRST tClub FELLA TO RECEIVE THEIR 58441 KIT,

TAKE A PICTURE OF THE KIT & EMAIL IT TO ME

will receive 1 sheet of SRB Digital Perfection decals

(sheet A or B, your choice)

so you can build a retro box-art re-re!

email: willy@PandaGFX.com

congrats to mr psychoatom :lol:

Was at the LHS on Saturday to pick up some odd and ends (something i dread doing these days)

And got speaking about the buggy champ. The argument came up that this was going to be a limited and thay were only going to be getting 2 kits from there surplyer. Can someone clear this matter up for me with some facts on weather this is a limited run and other LHS only getting a small lot of these kits? I was'nt sure weather this was just a poor sale pitch in there hurry to get me to part with some folding.

Thanks Willy!

Great pics cant wait to get mine now think i will just look at it for ages before building lol, seems tamiya had a few things missed out in manual oops!

looks great!

Thanks

Lee B)

Was at the LHS on Saturday to pick up some odd and ends (something i dread doing these days)

And got speaking about the buggy champ. The argument came up that this was going to be a limited and thay were only going to be getting 2 kits from there surplyer. Can someone clear this matter up for me with some facts on weather this is a limited run and other LHS only getting a small lot of these kits? I was'nt sure weather this was just a poor sale pitch in there hurry to get me to part with some folding.

There have been no indications about this being a limited release. The kit is not cheap and retails at 34,000 yen sticker price, so perhaps your local hobby store did not want to stock more.

Tamiya are releasing the bodyset as a spare part so it's highly unliklely to be a limited release. Also early demand for the kit seems to be very high so a second production run seems probable.

wish they'd release some other parts under SP too... like bumper, chassis, suspension arms etc

a broken body only hurt aesthetics, not stop the car running

Tamiya are releasing the bodyset as a spare part so it's highly unliklely to be a limited release. Also early demand for the kit seems to be very high so a second production run seems probable.

Thank Wendy, Ye it all sounded all alittle far fetched at the time for my ears.i did explain about the kit numbering to them, but thay were adamant it was a limited run and thay were only getting 2 kits. dont think ill be buying from them anyway over priced (even with there over heads) and under surported. personally i'll let the hype die down alittle then buy one. More looking forward to the LiFe batterys and some of the parts anyway.