RA1028

Photos For Re-issue Rough Rider From Shizuoka Hobby Show 09

So what are the changes to the front suspension (apart from the shocks)? Does it still have the plastic bushings where the ball ends from the steering knuckle mount to the wishbones? Is there still the little grub screw in the wishbones that strips so easily?

I think just the shocks have changed and the cast parts look to have a smoother finish. Its cool that it comes with full bearings by looking at the pics of the blister packaging.

they probably do have a good translation of "rough rider"... but just not suitable for hobby use

(well not our innocent toycar hobby usage anyway)

B)

lol. yeah:

rough rider?

A question to all of the collectors who are unhappy about this development....

Are you saying that the primary reason you have been collecting all these years is so that you can show off the fruits of your efforts on Tamiya Club to a bunch of people you will never meet? What about if TC did not exist? Surely the re-releases would not upset you so much because at the end of the day no-one would have known you had the kits in the first place?

I've got loads of kits but I've hardly added any of them to my TC account simply because it doesn't bother me that much to show them off. For me the real joy in this hobby (and TC) is to be part of a community who has the same enthusiasm for it, and to waffle on endlessly about it too. B)

No doubt the ability to show off your pride and joys to lots of people online is one of the great things about being part of TC and Tamiya in general, but surely it's not the primary reason for collecting?

At the end of the day your real joy and satisfaction came from finding, obtaining and building/restoring your vintage stuff, and no re-release can take that away. The ability to brag about it to people is just a nice little bonus. And I speak from experience as I spent £400 on a NIB Hotshot a couple of years before the re-release came out.

^^This.

Having just come back into the hobby, I'm a little baffled and dismayed that people are deflated that they've spent time and money restoring a car only for it to come out as a re re. This re release is taking nothing from the effort and pleasure you've spent rebuilding an iconic car, or at least it shouldn't in my opinion. This re re, just like the others is great news for everyone, except those people seeking to turn their hobby into a get rich quick scheme!

For me the great thing about this reissue is that I can now properly run my Scorcher / RR / Ranger and now if owt breaks I should in theory be able to get a lot cheaper parts to repair. I've had a lot of original Brats and Frogs over the years and when the reissue came out it was ace as I could then buy replacment parts at a fraction of the cost. I've had to sell a lot of my collection (and still need to sell more) But thats not because of reissues it's because of family / mortgage / bills / 1:1 cars. I'll never sell my original NIB Brat / Frog, ever - simple as.

And anyone whos seen the Tamiya101 vids know i'm not afraid to run my cars -- just means I can run em even more now with an easier parts supply.

I have no doubt that another SRB will be released now they've started they'll want to get there monies worth in my opinion ...

So what are the changes to the front suspension (apart from the shocks)? Does it still have the plastic bushings where the ball ends from the steering knuckle mount to the wishbones? Is there still the little grub screw in the wishbones that strips so easily?

If you look closely, you'll see that the screw on the frontsway arms are placed ontop of the upper swayarm. And probably on the under side of the lower arm.

I would really want one of them T-shirts!!! B) B) B) B)

Badboy

black bumper, plastic antenna tube instead of metal aerial, decals without sponsor logos, new dampers

WillyChang should start mass produce the original SRB decals and offer discount for us B)

i think im gonna faint........ B)

I couldn't believe this when I saw it, but even though I paid a fair few quid for SRB spares for my resto project, I am glad they did.

Personally the Rough Rider is not really a vintage Tamiya that does much for me, its more the chance that it may lead to other SRB releases like the Scorcher or the Ford Ranger that makes the news interesting.

I can understand why some people are not happy - its all very well saying that this shouldn't affect the value of originals, but the truth is that whilst a mint RR or scorcher NIB will probably still command good money, many other built and runner versions are bound to take a big hit in value. Also people who wanted a runner SRB previously were all competing for an ever shrinking pool of spares and kits, leading to prices gradually climbing. All that will change now as previously hard to find spares will be available in quantity at much lower prices.

I wonder whether the appearance of a lot of Blitzer related bodyshell parts over the last few months on ebay is connected with this. Would Tamiya do a version of the scorcher using Blitzer bodyshell parts perhaps? Sounds unlikely given the colour of the parts remains unchanged (wouldn't think Tamiya would go for the orange nose cone and black body for a scorcher type re-re)..... but who knows.

Alternatively if they are re-licencing the Beetle shell, why not maximise the returns on that by doing a Scorcher, Monster Beetle and Blitzer re-re all at the same time.... this opens things up bigtime as to what could come out of Tamiya. Maybe people after a safer bet on the collectibility side of things should switch to kyosho B)

For the people who are having a hard time understanding why some people are unhappy - for me, the massive of appeal of Tamiya, this site, the old cars, etc. was that they were relics from my childhood - and that made it special when I got hold of something 25 years old and got to play with it again.

I certainly don't blame Tamiya for re-releasing them - I'm no collector either, so value doesn't bother me either, it's simply that they won't be as special now because you can (will be able to) buy them in the high street.

Imagine if they re-issued all the old Star Wars toys, or reprinted old stamps, or started manufacturing classic cars again - it makes the originals less special.

We're all going to see it differently at the end of the day...

Imagine if they re-issued all the old Star Wars toys, or reprinted old stamps, or started manufacturing classic cars again - it makes the originals less special.

We're all going to see it differently at the end of the day...

I dont think any re releases are ever quite the same. i would say it makes the original more special as it shows that it is special enough to care about!

Absolutely agree. In the long term, values of the originals will benefit from Tamiya's decision to reissue classic kits.

While in the short term, it's been demonstrated that the Tamiya re-release kits have reduced the value of the respective original, in the long term I suspect that the value of the originals will be restored, if not increase _because_ of the fact that easily obtained re-release kits are so prevalent.

That said, it's my opinion that Tamiya might well have done more to update the re-release kits while still maintaining the original's aesthetic. This would serve two goals: 1) help collectors retain the value of their original kits by drawing a clear distinction between the new and the original, and 2) actually ship a kit that runs at or close to today's benchmark(s) for performance.

My re-release Frog runs as poorly as my original, and as such is (for _me_) not a car I'm excited to run. But count me in for a RR nonetheless.

Congratulations to the owners of the original Rough Rider. Your NIB will be worth a mint once again, just give it time. Wish I kept mine, but I was about 12; what did I know. I ran it into the ground. Along with my Super Champ, Frog (which I raced), etc, etc. Painful just thinking about it ;-).

I dont think any re releases are ever quite the same. i would say it makes the original more special as it shows that it is special enough to care about!

You can still get blitzer beetle bodies and body parts for tamiya USA.

To me it seems to make marketing sense to re release the Rough Rider and then re release a Scorcher. This maximises the sales as there is a big rush on the Rough Rider both for builds and parts and this can then be followed by the scorcher rerelease. I do not think Tamiya would sell anything like as many Rough Riders if the Scorcher was released first.

To me it seems to make marketing sense to re release the Rough Rider and then re release a Scorcher. This maximises the sales as there is a big rush on the Rough Rider both for builds and parts and this can then be followed by the scorcher rerelease. I do not think Tamiya would sell anything like as many Rough Riders if the Scorcher was released first.

I'm sure it's been mentioned elsewhere ... but I'm thinking Tamiya is just following the old release schedule for the iconic kits it wants to re-release. Black Porsche 30th anniversary first (kit 1), Rough Rider (kit 15) next ... and soon, the Scorcher (kit 16).

A few years back, Tamiya promised there re-releases wound end in something huge. And we've been guessing at what he was referring to ever since. As nice as the Rough Rider is (and I've already pre-ordered 2), I think Tamiya knows as much as we do that it isn't the Holy Grail ... I think the Scorcher is coming.

i think it is about time that this video was put up in here:

i'll be buying a rough rider to run alongside my scorcher in the sand dunes on the sunshine coast here, cant wait! B)

i think it is about time that this video was put up in here:

i'll be buying a rough rider to run alongside my scorcher in the sand dunes on the sunshine coast here, cant wait! B)

Great video!, redzone. :D

tamiya_58441_1-764082.jpg

0263.jpg

So I guess there is indeed no Sand Blaster JR on the sidewalls? I do see some writing on it, but it rather seems like 'Tamiya' than 'Sand Blaster JR' to me...

Quite a pity. I understand Tamiya doesn't want all the hassle with getting permission from all those sponsors to get all the original sponsors on it, but there are practically no real sponsors let on it and the Tire Lettering was really something that made the tires look special. I can't imagine just painting the letters on the rear tires and not on the front, and painting the 'Tamiya' lettering wouldn't seem very cool either I think. Maybe someone should make decals so you can still achieve the Sand Blaster look?

PS: I'm sounding like a grumpy old man now, because it is still one of the best re-releases from Tamiya! B)

Does this mean the spare wheel/tire set will no longer come in the cool boxes? ...unless they remove the "Sand Blaster Jr" from the box art (for the front wheel/tire set)

How comes the box art pic still says Sand Blaster JR?

Badboy

is there any news on a release date yet. will it be released to the entire world from the start or will japan get a release and then it will filter out to the rest of us. as its re re will there be any released with metallic bodys do you think or will it remain the original white. i think a chrome one would look good like what they did with the monster beetle. what are your thoughts

also just looking at the pictures again. on the front swing arms i can not see any grub screws at the front to hold them onto the axles. this will seperate originals from new. so how are they holding them on?