RA1028

Photos For Re-issue Rough Rider From Shizuoka Hobby Show 09

I think I will go against the grain where true collector would not mind the re-release given he/she still has the first version. How do we define a true collector or a true collector must have with deep pockets and money is no object? Sure, substantially most of us are not in it for the money or for investment purpose, but I would be upset if the vantage model I paid big bucks for, spend a lot of time, effort and money to finally got this vantage RR to shelve-king condition and found out Tamiya will do an exact re-release. Even if in my mind, my is the original vs the re-release , I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole, which is an exact, by Tamiya, same plastic and metal parts are fabricated in the re-release...so what is the different between the orginal and re-release? I think even a true collector would like to see the value of his collection remain high, even if he is not in it for the money or investment purpose, I think is human nature. I would be the 1st to admit if I just paid $7000.00 for the original black porsche and Tamiya does a re-release which dropped my value of my original to a fraction of what i paid for. Or I can fool myself by say a "True collector" will paid me $7000 or more if I want to sell it now....provided I find that "true collector". On the other hand will a true collector know which RR is the original or the re-release or all the parts in the original are original?

In the Rough Rider case, I am up set and happy at the same time given I spend time and money on the original, but now I get to really run her.

Tamiya had never said the SRB was off the table, so odds were good on this car being re-released. They even gave subtle warning that this car was on their radar with the Tamtech and coffee cup models. You cannot blame Tamiya for your choices, or for wanting to capitalise.

Yeah, every time they released another full scale re-release from the coffee cup promotion it became more obvious that they were at least considering the Rough Rider too.

And what is tiring is that people keep coming up with reasons to justify to themselves why they thought Tamiya would never do this. Too costly, they can't mould metal anymore, licensing issues, moulds are all gone, the designs are too **** for Tamiya to smear their company name by releasing a car with such poor performance today... All baloney, and anyone subscribing to these thoughts is in denial.

I think some people thought that Tamiya would be embarrased to re-issue SRBs but clearly they aren't and nor should they be.

I would say it is very likely that Tamiya will re-release another SRB, and if they do it is almost certain it will be the Sand Scorcher due to the popularity of this kit. It's the only SRB kit Tamiya could re-issue that will trump this release and get wallets to open again.

The ONLY obstruction I can possibly think of to the Sand Scorcher and Monster Beetle kits being re-released is the fact the body shell mould was modified for the Monster Beetle and again subsequently for the Blitzer Beetle. Degradation of the mould may have necessitated the slight changes in the shell for the MB and again for the BB. Re-engineering the existing mould to return it to a state to make identical Sand Scorcher shells may be difficult, as they would have to restore the unique details that made the Sand Scorcher shell what it was, and making a new mould would be costly.

Tamiya might re-release the SS with a BB shaped body mould, which would no doubt keep collector's happy, but would reduce the appeal of the kit as a re-issue.

Surely they would have had a mould for each model as they were all pretty much in production together at one time or the other? The Scorcher was still in production when the Monster Beetle came out.

If your right and there are no licensing issues then I really dont understand why they have not re-issued the Monster Beetle as that would also have been a licence for them to print money.

Terry, what's your thoughts on this re-release? We have had lots of debate about the possibility of this ever happening, and you were always one of those who believed there was virtually no chance it would. Having looked at the new parts and your experience of the toy industry do you now think differently about how difficult it will have been for Tamiya to make this happen?

So, who's gonna win the race?

Who'll be the first to post at TC!

Badboy

Has anyone taken some video footage of it at the Hobby Show? On the stand or running.

I searched and not found anything yet.

Very nice an all that, but that's the end of me collecting vintage cars.

Bad enough when the Re-Re Frog came out, now this. All that wasted time, effort and money. Might as well stick the whole lot in the bin. Better that than sit here looking at collection that reminds me of my mistake getting in to this in the first place. All that money, all that time, all that effort, just blown away with every re-release. Sweet, really sweet.

Thanks a lot Tamiya. Dump on the dedicated vintage collectors. Cheers.

Sorry if that sounds bitter and twisted, but that is exactly how I feel right now. Gutted.

Oh man how I can agree to it...

I start to wonder about Tamiya! Some of you may agree that re-vitalizing and re-re-re-re-leasing old kits

a) does not make the car a better car

and

B) is a pure confession of a lack of ideas and loss of geniosity.

Market leaders are at the top because they bring new stuff.

What do you do Tamiya ? Your nice shiny silver F1 body cannot blind me about the fact that you lost momentum.

Your image dropped dramatically - the nice F104 chassis does not offset my dissapointment about all the re-releases of Three speeders, the Avantes, Hotshots, Lunch Boxes and now the SRB chassis... What a shame to upset the collectors big time!

But who wonders with Fiat re-releasing the Bambino(500), Volkswagen bringing the Scirocco, BMW bringing the Mini and with the 1 series coupe the good old 2002.

We all know Asia is good in copying cars. But Tamiya hello wake up!

If you go into ''let's use the old molds another 10.000 times''-mode, why not inventing some innovation under the hood as the real manufacturers do....

This in fact Tamiya does not seem to have considered in re-releasing the champ. Still the same weak front axle material, still the old insufficient rear arm spring design...

Tamiya is really not making a difference to other RC manufacturers which dissapoints me most.

Luckily I do not collect NIB kits. My vintage cars still keep their value (to me) because of my modifications for driveability. I will never sell them.

I guess I may purchase the black 934 for the fun of having this model and the bag - but besides that what else?

Hello - Tamiya - birng a new menue and don't sell us old, mouldy soup!

I will change my strategy now and stop buying a vintage cars for a resto.

To dangerous to spent a lot of money for a car I can find for half the price NIB a year later.

Japan local market always refer the Rough Rider as Buggy Champ. In translated to Japanese it is call バギーチャンプ. My guess is they couldn't find a good Japanese word to match the meaning of Rough Rider.

If a Japanese person says Rough Rider it comes out Lough Lider. There are no Rs in Japanese.Rough Rider is just for the round eyes. B)

done! B) remastered SRB sheets already available @ U-KNOW-WHERE

ok, in celebration of 58441... how about this

FIRST tClub FELLA TO RECEIVE THEIR 58441 KIT,

TAKE A PICTURE OF THE KIT & EMAIL IT TO ME

will receive 1 sheet of SRB Digital Perfection decals

(sheet A or B, your choice)

so you can build a retro box-art re-re!

B)B)B)

email: willy@PandaGFX.com

Can you reward me for being the first person to post the re-issue photos for TC member. :P

Its strange the variance in replies here. From collectors who feel burned to collectors who support the new car to people moaning about "another" re-re. A wise man once said "they are only toy cars" and that is indeed all they are B)

If last month you spent a couple of grand on a NIB Rough Rider from the 80s then today regardless of whats happening you still have a NIB RR from the 80s that will always have more history/provenence than the Re-Re.

If you dont like re-re's don't buy them, problem solved B)

If like me you are excited by all this then just rejoice and - for me at least - keep your fingers crossed tight that the SS follows. Further more I would love to see the Blazing Blazer re-re'ed, again for the body.

As far as falling behind the competition well Tamiya have some state of the art cars running at TC 1/10th level and I believe their 1/8th truggies and 1/10th electric offroad cars are pretty awsome. To me at least it seems they are "leading the way" from end to end or as Americans like to say from soup to nuts (I love that saying)

Paul

A few things i notice about the Buggy Champ when i saw it. And i didnt take pictures because its a Rough Rider and i had other things i had to do.

First im no SRB expert.

1.No sand blaster JR print on the front tires. Just a small "modern" Tamiya logo. Think of the new optional Tamiya decal sheets for the font B) All 5 cars where like this,even the one in the blister pack.Rear tires have the sand blaster 915 print. Figure that one out?

2.battery is very small.about the size of a pack of smokes.Held in with bumper material.

3.Black FRP chassis plate.

4.T shirt was also on sale seperate,might be included with the kit as a limited item.

5.Nothing in the reciever box area. Radio box was not opened when i saw them

6.Sorry no info on the diff,cars driven acted like there wasnt a diff,very unstable.

7. the battery weighs almost nothing.

8. springy antenna on all cars displayed and run.

9. This and the F104 were the most popular cars,these two cars had a crowd everytime I walked past.

Other than that I really didnt spend much time looking at it because, well Tamiyaclub willl be overflowing with infomation and it has 100% of the Rough Rider spirit. You can worry about the details but face it the Rough Rider is back B) Maybe only 95% as the orginal but what a great 95% it is.

I will change my strategy now and stop buying a vintage cars for a resto.

To dangerous to spent a lot of money for a car I can find for half the price NIB a year later.

Do you think Tamiya care? All those expensive NIB vintage parts and none of the revenue goes to Tamiya. It must really annoy them to see the value and them not getting anything from it.

Personally I am over the moon at this news! Even though I just finished an expensive resto lol. At least mine is from 79. Nothing can change that B)

Still can't believe it's true and if we loose some enthusiasts, they were just in it for the money.

1.No sand blaster JR print on the front tires. Just a small "modern" Tamiya logo. Think of the new optional Tamiya decal sheets for the font B) All 5 cars where like this,even the one in the blister pack.Rear tires have the sand blaster 915 print. Figure that one out?

The 915's have remained in continuous production since the original RR release on the Ranger, then the Brat, plus the Wild Ceptor, and again on the rere Brat, the JR's were last issued on the FAV I believe.

All those expensive NIB vintage parts and none of the revenue goes to Tamiya. It must really annoy them to see the value and them not getting anything from it.

Agree, and I don't understand all the negativity against the Tamiya brand just because they are re-releasing some of their iconic radio controlled cars. Surely they should be applauded for listening to their customers.

People shouldn't forget that Tamiya is a business. They need to ensure they maximise their revenue and with the global recession what better way to ensure people part with their hard earned cash than by re-releasing the Rough Rider. The SRB's are going to be Tamiya's cash cows during this economic downturn. For instance how many TC members weren't planning to buy a kit over the next few months have just changed their minds. I am sure there are plenty.

You would Think Loaded would have come on by now and said he had ordered his pallet load of Buggies .....Where is Paul anyone know he would usually be all over this B)

He left Czech Republic a week ago and is waiting at the door of Tamiya's HQ to get the first pallet I've been told.... B)

Agree with HunterZero...

Collecting is not about the money and is not an investment. The fact that the value of old cars drops actually doesn't matter to me that much. I'm into collecting for the fun, the hunt, the please of collecting, etc. Not the money. The fact that I put so much effort into getting rare stuff everybody can now buy NIB is a bummer. Indeed it has something to do with proud and bragging rights. Childish maybe but what can I do....

Not angry with Tamiya; for them it's not personal, it's business. Fully understand their decision, am just not happy with it.

I still LOVE my new built SRB (got them all new built B)) but am done collecting. Going to sell many of my cars I like but am not totally crazy about. My SRB's will of course stay B)

So what now? Still need a hobby, right? Many here who were kids during the SRB days are the same age... For me, Tamiya days were also the days of BMX; I had a GT bmx I sold 20+ years ago. Just re-discovered "old skool BMX" on Ebay. Amazingly this stuff is now also collectable. PK ripper, Hutch, etc. Supercool! B) Also some re-issues there but worth a try :P

It has been a fun 10 years collecting but enough for me. Goodbye, tot ziens and au revoir B)

So what now? Still need a hobby, right? Many here who were kids during the SRB days are the same age... For me, Tamiya days were also the days of BMX; I had a GT bmx I sold 20+ years ago. Just re-discovered "old skool BMX" on Ebay. Amazingly this stuff is now also collectable. PK ripper, Hutch, etc. Supercool! B) Also some re-issues there but worth a try B)

LOL, I'm into old school BMX too! Have 2 Kuwahara's KZ1 and I used to BMX in Singapore!

A question to all of the collectors who are unhappy about this development....

Are you saying that the primary reason you have been collecting all these years is so that you can show off the fruits of your efforts on Tamiya Club to a bunch of people you will never meet? What about if TC did not exist? Surely the re-releases would not upset you so much because at the end of the day no-one would have known you had the kits in the first place?

I've got loads of kits but I've hardly added any of them to my TC account simply because it doesn't bother me that much to show them off. For me the real joy in this hobby (and TC) is to be part of a community who has the same enthusiasm for it, and to waffle on endlessly about it too. B)

No doubt the ability to show off your pride and joys to lots of people online is one of the great things about being part of TC and Tamiya in general, but surely it's not the primary reason for collecting?

At the end of the day your real joy and satisfaction came from finding, obtaining and building/restoring your vintage stuff, and no re-release can take that away. The ability to brag about it to people is just a nice little bonus. And I speak from experience as I spent £400 on a NIB Hotshot a couple of years before the re-release came out.

A few things i notice about the Buggy Champ when i saw it. And i didnt take pictures because its a Rough Rider and i had other things i had to do.

First im no SRB expert.

2.battery is very small.about the size of a pack of smokes.Held in with bumper material.

3.Black FRP chassis plate.

4.T shirt was also on sale seperate,might be included with the kit as a limited item.

5.Nothing in the reciever box area. Radio box was not opened when i saw them

6.Sorry no info on the diff,cars driven acted like there wasnt a diff,very unstable.

7. the battery weighs almost nothing.

8. springy antenna on all cars displayed and run.

9. This and the F104 were the most popular cars,these two cars had a crowd everytime I walked past.

Other than that I really didnt spend much time looking at it because, well Tamiyaclub willl be overflowing with infomation and it has 100% of the Rough Rider spirit. You can worry about the details but face it the Rough Rider is back B) Maybe only 95% as the orginal but what a great 95% it is.

Did you have the chanse to ask about the diff/hop up option?

How about DVD?

If you get the chanse ask, please?

Badboy

LOL, I'm into old school BMX too! Have 2 Kuwahara's KZ1 and I used to BMX in Singapore!

Im a CW Guy!! B)

The 915's have remained in continuous production since the original RR release on the Ranger, then the Brat, plus the Wild Ceptor, and again on the rere Brat, the JR's were last issued on the FAV I believe.

But why would you remove the Sand Blaster JR from the mold? and then put a new Tamiya type logo? I have a friend that does plastic injection and molds last for a really long time. Maybe Tamiya lost the mold? Might be a new mold? Maybe Willy Chan can make some Sand Blaster JR decals for the front tires in white?

I have spent thousands of dollars on building and restoring and collecting parts for these cars and i am not bothered in one bit that Tamiya is bringing back all the old favorites. It just means that i can buy one of these great scale cars at a great price and beat the **** out of it and get replacement parts cheap now and i will be making lots of aluminum hopup parts for this car soon.