Sign in to follow this  
kyosho1

Why Is The Re-re Rough Rider / Sand Scorcher Significant?

Pardon my ignorance. I am all excited about re-re of all the Tamiya classic but I come from the generation of Hotshots/Boomerang. I am as excited as everyone on the release of the re-re SRBs, but the reason for me to buy them would simply to see how the Tamiya buggies evolved. I have read a lot of the SRBs in the forum. What I gather are the following;

1) water resistant box for the electronics thereby allowing the car to run on beaches

2) all alloy components therefore durable

3) realistic scaled body and chassis/suspension

What makes the Sand Scorcher a more talked about car as compared to the Super Champ/Rough Rider? All 3 of them looks about the same, except Super Champ.

Is there anything else that I don't know about, that can make me even more excited and drool about their release ? :D

Thanks for reading.

The VW body makes the Sand Scorcher the coolest! :D

The VW body makes the Sand Scorcher the coolest! B)

What is it about a VW body on a SRB? I still dun get it. Sorry....

However, I think the Monster Beetle looks cute and cool. The Audi Quattro Rally is a wow :D

What is it about a VW body on a SRB? I still dun get it. Sorry....

However, I think the Monster Beetle looks cute and cool. The Audi Quattro Rally is a wow B)

The scale aspect, the front suspension on a scorcher is very similar to the front axle on a 1/1 beetle.

As the VW baja body looks more realistic the the buggys, it gives the SS more wanting eyes!

For me I just love the Sand Scorcher!

I could stand for hours and glair at it in the toystorewindow when I was a kid!

To race a SRB is far from good as a modern car would outclass it!!!

But the feeling of driving a "vintage" car of metal parts it's outstanding!!!

Check this video, if you don't feel a thing don't buy any B)

Stay with your "era cars"!

Here's the original video from Tamiya!

Badboy

Basically The Real Vehicles that the SRB's were modeled on (Bar the Ford) were based on the VW Beetle Chassis (Type 1) right down to the front suspension mimicking the real thing (I know, I've worked on enough of them) and with the Beetle being such an Iconic Car, when the 2 come together it's just the Obvious Choice!

Picture436.jpg

SDC12043.jpg

Both belong to members of a Forum I belong to.

As the VW baja body looks more realistic the the buggys, it gives the SS more wanting eyes!

Check this video, if you don't feel a thing don't buy any B)

Badboy

GREAT vids Badboy !! I totally want to do that too !! Do you know any easy way to mount Blitzer Beetle and Blackfoot bodies on a SZRB chassie? (I have a "fake" SS and a "fake" Ranger body )

It must have been done before !?

Pardon my ignorance. I am all excited about re-re of all the Tamiya classic but I come from the generation of Hotshots/Boomerang. I am as excited as everyone on the release of the re-re SRBs, but the reason for me to buy them would simply to see how the Tamiya buggies evolved. I have read a lot of the SRBs in the forum. What I gather are the following;

1) water resistant box for the electronics thereby allowing the car to run on beaches

What makes the Sand Scorcher a more talked about car as compared to the Super Champ/Rough Rider? All 3 of them looks about the same, except Super Champ.

Is there anything else that I don't know about, that can make me even more excited and drool about their release ? B)

Thanks for reading.

I suppose it's just that these 2 cars were considered the first proper off road rc cars.

that seems pretty significant.

nice vid badboy.wish i sand around here like that!

skip

-my 2 cents-

1 it gets real annoying when you have an old rc thats hard to get parts for!

2 n.i.b.'s will still hold value because its original.

3 some of the new parts will be slightly different, hopefully stronger more durable.

4 some of the r.c.'s are really cool.some of the new ones are not,no matter how fast.

5 certain original parts will still be hard to get.

6 some new parts may have dates on them, like the radio box or body's may say

buggy champ 2009 that make it destinguisable from the original.

7 as you've allready seen on the front tires,which may change with

production who know's.

8 some people need to sell old parts to buy there kid a christmas present

or have a turkey for thanksgiving and they need the money.

9 no matter how many rere's come out people will still collect originals.

10 new more durable aftermarket parts may come out if theres a rere out

that we can use on our old ones.

11 even though i collect rc i usually only keep ones i liked when i was a kid.

a couple years ago i sold a n.i.b. mountaneer on ebay to get money to get

the parts for cars that i needed. its not my fault they bid them up so high.

i have a brand new srb radio box in sealed plastic, I told my fateher

i seen gor for 350 us on the web he said i should sell it.and i said but if i get a srb

i might need it.now i might sell it. who knows? i always need more parts.

sorry to be so log winded.

SO QUIT BELLY ACHING AND ENJOY THE RIDE!!

SKIP p.s. please add replys, why not

I think you posted in the wrong thread? No-one is belly aching, just one guy asking about the draw of SRBs and a load of other members giving their opinions

quote name='kyosho1' date='May 18 2009, 02:28 PM' post='324964']

I like your style - registering on TC with such username B):)B) B)

Reminds me of a metalica concert I went to many many moons ago - in a sea of black, some guy had come to the concert dressed completely in white! Balls!

B):D

Well done!

It's exciting because it was THE biggest development in commercially viable off road r/c models at the time of release. Real scale, good performance, sellable price. And ofcourse it looks fabulous - even to people who are not interested in rc! Show a SS to your girlfriend and then show her a Lazer, she's likely to like the former!

Welcome to TC!

Check this video, if you don't feel a thing don't buy any :D

Here's the original video from Tamiya!

Badboy

I am blown away B) Thanks for all the generous input. Didn't realise the suspension are scaled as well. Now I really really want a re-re SS. No RR for me :)

quote name='kyosho1' date='May 18 2009, 02:28 PM' post='324964']

I like your style - registering on TC with such username :)B) B) :)

Reminds me of a metalica concert I went to many many moons ago - in a sea of black, some guy had come to the concert dressed completely in white! Balls!

B):D

Well done!

Welcome to TC!

:) I started off with lots of Tamiyas and drifted off to Kyoshos. But I am back after finding Tamiyaclub by chance and ended up acquiring some re-re Tamiya buggies. Can't get enough of Tamiyas now B) Thanks for the welcome!

I am blown away B) Thanks for all the generous input. Didn't realise the suspension are scaled as well. Now I really really want a re-re SS. No RR for me :)

Just buy a Buggy Champ/Rough Rider + Blitzer Beetle body + repro nosecone + tyres/wheels + long body post + TC/WillyChang repro stickers and you're there!!! :D

Badboy

Many would take the chassis from a 1:1 VW Beetle and build a sand buggy over it, hence the Rough Rider and Super Champ. Still a scale RC in all aspects.

I've been trolling Google images and have found heaps of examples of VW chassis'd buggys to use as reference pictures.

Manx buggy is another that was fitted to 1:1 VW chassis. I'd love to see the Sand Rover body fitted to the SRB chassis, would be a must have kit.

The F-150 XLT always had me stumped though. Never seen anything like it in a 1:1.

Badboy

that video makes me need a sand scorcher

wicked.

Is there anything else that I don't know about, that can make me even more excited and drool about their release ? :D

Thanks for reading.

Back in the day I had a second hand Super Champ, so had to use rubber balloons to waterproof it.

Alloy components used to bend and break regularly, especially the back end, every time I whacked it into a kerb.

Great to driveround the street, many a 15min of fun :D with todays batterys it'll go for ever.

Grizy

Battery runtimes getting longer... but kiddies' attention span getting shorter. &/or old men's stamina depending how vintage you are. :D