Singapore_959

Does Anybody R/c Sail?

Curious if we have members who enjoy r/c sailing....

scale, race or scratch building?

The Tamiya Yamaha never seems to get a mention on TC.

I have one and sail most weeks with/against another Yamaha owner; and I sail a Kyosho Seawind also. Would be nice to chat with other sailors on TC!

:lol:

Hi Singapore_959,

If you ever need any parts for them, give me a shout I have quite alot :lol:

Antony

I have a small sailboat on the build. 1:12 scale 8 foot Sabot sailer in balsa. Replica of the boat I built as a teen. With limited places to run boats I've not considered larger, but do like sailing alot.

TA-Mark_Sabot_Sailer_01.jpg

I didn't even know Tamiya had made a sail boat. Have you got some photos of it in action?

I didn't even know Tamiya had made a sail boat. Have you got some photos of it in action?

Difference between the Tamiya Yamaha Round the World and the Kyosho Seawind. Both 1m single class boats.

The Yamaha is much wider. It out performs the Seawind in stong wind. My 959 on the left :P

June-Sept07101.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

A rare sight, two Yamaha's together:

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3219.jpg

The Seawind

nice full sails :P

Aprilraceandsailing094.jpg

Aprilraceandsailing096.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

The Yamaha is an excellent boat. So is the Kyosho.

Conditions a bit rough in the photos above. R/C sailing is like a revelation for most people - it's so so enjoyable. :lol:

TAMark - you should look up the footie class if you haven't already. Your boat looks v similar.

I have a Yamaha RtW that I purchase off our local auction site last year. It's bit of a basket case at the moment, all the spreaders are bent and/or broken and it is missing a few small parts. The hull has been painted black and it has the Team New Zealand logo on it in an attempt to make it look like one of the Americas' Cup boats.

It's in its' box under my desk at work until I find the parts and time to restore it.

Great piccys,i had a Tamiya Around the world yacht about 10 or so years ago,it was loverly to sail,very very relaxing and challenging at the same time.

Your piccys are a loverly reminder,i really shouldn`t of let it go.

I found a nib Yamaha EX40 locally a few years ago,it is still sat in it`s box,more of a scale cruiser than a racer,am looking forward to building and sailing,maybe this summer :lol:

They are some great photos! How many channels is it using? The other one pictured a recovery boat?

The one I built is only 8" long (20.5cm), the water you are sailing on there would swamp it. :lol: I was thinking more along the lines of small pond/swimming pool when I built it.

I've got a Kyosho Fairwind and a Thunder Tiger Victoria. At the moment I only have the one winch servo - a GWS job. I was reading a while back that a stronger, higher torque regular servo would also do the job, as opposed to a dedicated winch unit. Any suggestions on a good value servo that would be up to the job?

Cheers,

Rob

I do the occasional vintage sailing session too... I have a fully restored Robbe Rainbow, which is a very, very entry-level boat. The project was to go sailing for as cheap as possible, I paid EUR50 for the boat shipped, salvaged a 2-ch radio for it with fixed junk Prafa servos, cable tensioners are made out of old servo arms, wing rigidifiers out of an old PTFE bottle, ikea hooks to hold cables to the hull, venilia tape for windows, and so on so forth... and she sails a treat, very satisfying low-$ project.

I agree RC sailing is quite enjoyable, but is missing the adrenalin rush of running an RC car on a track though :)

will try to post pics later on... gotta find them first!

Paul

I used to do lots of RC sailing as a kid , still have a boat somewere, still have the recovery boat to.......i learnt the hard way. i remember diving in the lake one day to recover a boat never again!

right im going to me dads place to dig the boat out tomorrow!

Bluefoot,

I just recenlty joined this fourm came across your posting. I realize the information I am sharing maybe too late. No matter, it is the thought that counts, right? Here goes. Tamiya still has a number of parts for the Tamiya Yamaha Round the World including the spreaders, mast, sails, decals and some molded parts. They also have copies of the original installion instructions. This may be of interest to you or others needing parts for this very fine boat.

Go to http://www.tamiyausa.com/search.php?q=5620...3&image.y=7

The web site lists the parts they have in stock.

I was very fortunate to have aquired a new in the box Yamaha at the end of last year. I just finished the build and am thrilled with the final result. I made a few minor modifications that have transformed this boat from a very good sailing boat, into a great sailing boat in all kinds of wind conditions.

If you are interested in details of these modifications, just let me know.

Best regards

Windchaser