Brettos

Boomerang "c Parts Tree" Wanted!

Anyone have a "C Parts Tree" 0005242, for a Boomerang?

I have an original runner that i race in vintage and i need these parts.

The original "C-1" parts i have are old, brittle and one is broken.

Thanks, Brett.

FYI, you can of course order that whole tree nowadays since the re re came out, but you can just order those uprights or I like to call them King Pins from Tamiya. They are part number 50648 for RED,50555 for Blue(doesn't seem to be availabe any more) and 58154 for Black.

Also there is AsiaTees.com that sells the GPM alloy bits for a decent price and you won't break them ever again possibly

"http://www.asiatees.com/display.php?id=81&brand=Tamiya&model=TA01&pid=1"

I hope that helps you out a bit and good luck in your Boomer ventures.

Boomerang C parts:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-58057-Bigwig-...3A1%7C294%3A200

Or you can just buy the uprights on there own:

Black:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-58154-Hummer-...3A1%7C294%3A200

Red:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-Hot-Shot-II-T...3A1%7C294%3A200

Please note: Part 50555 as mentioned above, will not fit due to different sized bearings being used in the uprights.

Antony

Boomerang C parts:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-58057-Bigwig-...3A1%7C294%3A200

Or you can just buy the uprights on there own:

Black:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-58154-Hummer-...3A1%7C294%3A200

Red:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-Hot-Shot-II-T...3A1%7C294%3A200

Please note: Part 50555 as mentioned above, will not fit due to different sized bearings being used in the uprights.

Antony

Thanks Guys,

I recieved two uprights yesterday but i'm not sure now if they will be any good.

I think they might be from a re-boomer (Darker blue plastic). Are the bearing seats a different size on the new Boomerang?

Could just try them but i would rather find out before i pull it down to repair it.

Cheers, Brett.

Hi Brett,

The Bearing sizes are the same on the re-release as the original Boomerang.

Part 50555 uses the different size bearings and is a slightly different shade of blue (This part is also known as part number 0445246)

Antony

Antony,

Is the blue part the same for TA02 cars then?? Perhaps that is why there is a bearing set specifically for the TA02??? I hadn't known this all these years.

Those parts I sent were the parts from the BigWig parts tree that's included for some small parts in the new Boomerang. They didn't work on the "Newmerang", they disagreed with the new dogbone length. I had to use the 2 loose numberless ones that came in the box with the screw bags (like the instructions said to :P ).

So, yes, they are from the BigWig parts, so they are truely vintage moldings.

Wow, it would seem I am finding out about a few more Boomerang differences. I have dug around the garage and found a BIGWIG parts tree, but since Tamiya really didn't stamp it BigWig, it is simply a DELUXE Boomerang C tree in the milky blue color. Anyway, there would also seem to be the re re used this same tree and had you toss a bunch of the bits in the bin. I think most of us know that the rack and pinion pieces stayed on all the blue C trees regardless if the rest of the parts were molded on there or not.

So, went to the garage as I didn't know about these "Hub bearings" as I like to call them, since the drive axles run through the opening of the UPRIGHT, there I called the part by its real name. I am slowly grasping the Tamiya terminology from my 1:1 car terminology. I guess it is about time since I have been playing with these "toys" for 23 years now.

I opened a SEALED Vintage parts tree bag, please collectors, stop cussing me, its not like I split a blister pack is it??? LOL

I put some 11X5 bearings into the upright and Viola, they fit. I can't figure out what all the fuss is with the two color blue parts and all the rest, but my conclusions are this.

The re re Boomer did NOT use original DIAMETER dogbones and thus Tamiya may have reconfigured a lot more in the tweaking of the re re as the VINTAGE Boomer actually used larger diameter gear and it all came from the Super Shot REAR dogbones.

The HotShot is still the only 4WD with a melting of alu and steel dogbones in two different lengths about 1mm difference. The SuperShot kept the same length dogbones, but stepped up to a single piece construction and vague color coding(thank you Tamiya for a build manual with 1:1 photos of screws and bits needed for each step). In their wisdom, Tamiya offered the SS dogbones for sale in a "upgrade" form from back in the day as 2 Front or 2 Rear dogbones sold in one packet. I noticed in my dealer's sale sheet that the REAR part number is the only one needed for the Boomer.

I also noticed on the re re that the drive cups and axles all seem to be borrowed from perhaps a Manta Ray as I believe long ago, I found that Manta Ray and HotShot dogbones were the SAME length, but I can't recall which HS dogbone it was. I suspect the matching dogbone was the REAR from the HS. Now we go back to the DIAMETER of the rounded head of the dogbone. It was hard back in the old days to swap or change dogbones from other cars with the HS since it used a LARGER diameter head than anything else. Now that I think of it, only THORP used a dogbone head diameter of the same size. Since THORP was making diffs and such, you could feasibly buy the diff and use YOUR OWN dogbones till they gave out from the now gobs of power, but at least you could run now and pay later for new THORP dogbones which could be better than even SuperShot dogbones in strength or you could possibly order the SS dogbones, whichever your budget allowed.

So I said all that to say that may be why the re re came with a set of uprights(part number 0440378) to allow the new tranny a way to work with less dogbone throwing which we all know we did back in the days. I remedied this only slightly by using damper O rings in each axle cup or otherwise on each end of the dogbone. It had a stiffening effect and if not pliable enough, they sometimes binded, but what the heck, we drove on.

If I have rambled enough off task, then I am sorry, but I am still trying to figure out where this idea of different bearings came from as even the TC manual shows that plastic bearing replacement in the Original hubs would be facilitated with a standard 11X5 and you can purchase and "upgrade" to HotShot bearing set which contained 5X8 and 5X11 bearings ONLY as I have one of these sets as well.

Brett, I hope you get your parts sorted out, I can send you this BIG WIG set that is vintage if you like, but sounds like you have it already, just made 22 years after the fact and if your racing judges will let you, I still would recommend the alu upgrade, but you might want to also upgrade your steering servo saver as it will take the abuse harder now that a weaker link has been fixed.

Chris

Chris, you've been busy!

Yes, the Newmerang has same length shafts (same as DF02) all around, and with the C1 and C2 parts (that now reside at Brett's place) the front end bound horribly. With the "floater" uprights, it's a little better, but at full droop, the pins bottom out in the slots still quite noticeably.

The results of investigation, it appears that the rere Hotshot has shorter front shafts, and more than likely doesn't suffer this binding.

The C tree which these parts came from has the BW shock mounts, steering rack and pinion parts on it, so I doubt the C1 and 2 in the Newmerang have been altered, as the instructions list them as unused.

Chris, you've been busy!

Yes, the Newmerang has same length shafts (same as DF02) all around, and with the C1 and C2 parts (that now reside at Brett's place) the front end bound horribly. With the "floater" uprights, it's a little better, but at full droop, the pins bottom out in the slots still quite noticeably.

The results of investigation, it appears that the rere Hotshot has shorter front shafts, and more than likely doesn't suffer this binding.

The C tree which these parts came from has the BW shock mounts, steering rack and pinion parts on it, so I doubt the C1 and 2 in the Newmerang have been altered, as the instructions list them as unused.

Thanks for the parts B.M.T. :)

Cheers, for the reserch everyone!

I will replace the "Hubs" this afternoon, just have to get a front dogbone now and i'm running. Yippie!!!

Brett. :(