Sign in to follow this  
jayjaydj

Blackfoot Throp Gear Loosening

Hi All.

Just joined the club last week and cant beleive all the info I have found on here.

I have a blackfoot with Thorp gears. The diff gear keeps loosening up. I have tried everything. Some people told me it was in backwards but there is no way it can in the gear box. I was told to use lock tite... but that didnt work either. Am I missing something? Im tempted to just say screw it and make it a solid gear.

Any suggestions will be great!

Thanks again group.

Hiya and welcome to our merry throng :P

you may find the problem with your diff is that the screw that runs through the middle of it all is straight - they are supposed to be bent to stop them from undoing :D

hope this helps

Hmmm, I've noticed mine undo slightly, just enough to let it slip under acceleration, but it never became loose enough to loose drive. I tightened it up again the other day and it stayed firmly in place.

You can get at the adjuster screw easily by taking the left suspension arm off.

I thought it was the SRB thorp diff that required the bent screw? I could be very wrong on that though :(

I have the same exact problem with my Blackfoot/Thorp combo. I have the "bent" screw, but it does not help. I tried "blue" locktite, but still loosened up after one battery pack. I now have some "red" locktite, but have not tried it yet. I'm a little worried that the red stuff may be permanent.

I have the same exact problem with my Blackfoot/Thorp combo. I have the "bent" screw, but it does not help. I tried "blue" locktite, but still loosened up after one battery pack. I now have some "red" locktite, but have not tried it yet. I'm a little worried that the red stuff may be permanent.

Well, I have tried it all. I even removed the bearings from the gear and it still didnt do it. So I guess Ill either use RED locktite... then it will NEVER come off so if I strip a gear I wont be able to use the other parts since I have a spare gear only. So that might be out. So im going to y friends house Thursday and we are gonna make the gear a SOLID gear that I can also take the gear out and out a new one in. I will let you all know how that works. I hope this is a good idea.

Thanks again