<rant mode>

I just sold a pinball machine on eBay for £200 - and I just received an invoice for £30!

I hadn't realised that final value fees were now up to 10% - it's flippin' ridiculous!

</rant mode>

Yup,it is a disgrace for sure,but can be upto 20% selling with a local auction house.

Yup,it is a disgrace for sure,but can be upto 20% selling with a local auction house.

In addition to that you have to add paypal fees! However, without ebay how would we buy and sell our stuff? I know they are starting to go over the top with their fees but this may open the door for other online auctions, then we will see who is laughing.

I recently bought a sheet of vinyl flames from Thailand for not much money.

Before Ebay, where could you do something like that....?

Apart from Thailand obviously. :)

fleaBay/Paypal is like Micro$oft

never say never, but they're just too big & too well-entrenched for any newcomer to knock them out now

unless some Anti-Competition Regulatory Agency does a Ma/Pa-Bell on them...

The way I look at it is that by using the dreaded 'Bay, the exposure of my intentions to sell an item is a lot greater than any of the other avenues I could take. I can post links on here to my listings, so that also helps too, but there are so many people looking at ebay I reckon I get a better price on there than I would elsewhere. Even though the charges are now very high, I still end up getting a good price for something that I might have struggled to sell on the forums. And lets face it, other than excellent websites like tamiyaclub where only 'enthusiasts' are likely to reside, where else are you going to advertise your stuff? The local shop window or free paper? Good luck!

I don't like a lot of the way ebay and PayPal operate but it's just the way it is. I treat it as a bit of a game, as long as I'm 'in credit' by the end of it I'm happy. I sympathise with those using it as a business tool as their livelihood depends on it. But you don't have to use ebay if you don't want to and they clearly define their charges, so you know what it's going to cost you before you submit your listing. I just wish I'd thought of it before they did!

On a positive note, another auction site will overtake ebay one day, offering cheaper charges and better service, but as soon as it gets big the people running it will realise how much money they can really make out of it and we'll be back to where we started!

I've got no problem with the fact that eBay is the only real market (well I have really) and accept that I would have got virtually nothing for the pinball machine if I was relying on local papers, etc.

The simple fact is 10% of the final value is extortionate - when you consider what it actually cost eBay to provide my listing. It's not like I said 'Please sell my item' to them and they then created the auction and did all the donkey work - all they actually do is provide some webspace and a bidding mechanism (at a cost to them of some 0.0000000.....0001p).

Weren't they doing 'quite well' before they doubled the final listing fees?

Would a bank get away with just doubling it' loan interest rate?

Oh well - it's only money. At least the final value fee for the car I'm selling is capped at £20...

all they actually do is provide some webspace and a bidding mechanism (at a cost to them of some 0.0000000.....0001p).

I think you've wildly underestimated what goes on behind the scenes.

The kind of network infrastructure to provide the system Ebay offers costs an AWFUL LOT of money, datacentres, redundant webservers, bandwidth, power consumption, database consultants & db admins, web designers, legal teams.....the list is almost endless.

All this costs big money to create a system that (to my knowledge), has had virtually 100% uptime for several years now.

This link dating from 2001 was celebrating an uptime figure of 99.9% (that's just 8h 45m downtime in one year) which was no mean feat in itself.

For every decimal place you want move to the right in uptime, you can add two zeroes to your TCO.

If you were complaining about estate agent fees, or stamp duty on houses I'd be inclined to agree with your statement that it costs them virtually nothing, but Ebay......sorry fella, it's not a cheap thing to do & 10% fees isn't excessive compared to other auction houses.

Just email Netsmith & ask how much TC costs to run :)

Hi guys :-)

OK, I feel another rant coming on about Estate Agent Fees and Stamp Duty. I pay a lot of those and whilst there isn't much behind Stamp Duty (besides what was always behind it, when it was free, or 1%) and most estate agents do very little (including not selling or letting your house) certain agents have a huge infrastructure for selling properties, powerful websites, behind the scenes admin and processing, legal services, professional photographers and advertising costs that are an enormous part of their costs. I hate them for their fees, but don't forget they get nothing if you don't sell your house or you change your mind.

Love them or hate them, some estate agents have huge costs behind them and a couple of percent in European terms is very small, in most of Europe and the states it is more, in some cases (like Spain) much more.

Paul.

I've got no problem with the fact that eBay is the only real market (well I have really) and accept that I would have got virtually nothing for the pinball machine if I was relying on local papers, etc.

You just needed to vent :) thats OK, feel vented, now go buy something Tamiya with all that PinBall money :(

Love them or hate them, some estate agents have huge costs behind them and a couple of percent in European terms is very small, in most of Europe and the states it is more, in some cases (like Spain) much more.

Fair point, I suppose my post is a bit hypocritical really.

Actually my biggest issue is with their property photographs, there seems to be a trend of using shorter & shorter lenses resulting in hugely distorted pictures that are not representative.

You just needed to vent :) thats OK, feel vented, now go buy something Tamiya with all that PinBall money :D

Sorry GF, you can have your thread back now :P

Er.....group hug......... :P

... Ebay ... has had virtually 100% uptime for several years now.

... As long as you don't plan on doing anything on the site on a Friday morning, that's perfectly true :P

We got to thank ebay for bring this hobby back to life / mind you have put some LHS out of business. I for one won't be able to get the models I wanted nor will I be able to sell the models that I no longer wanted. The fees are high? What other choice do we have for getting access to the world or to an entire country. So far I have no complaints against ebay or the fees structure.