Sign in to follow this  
hedge

The Only Collectable Cars Left Are.....

Are the Hilux and Blazer the last true bastions of vintage collectability?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Its friday ... and before the Black Porsche owners jump at me we have had a 30 anniversary porsche and we are waiting for the new tamtech porsche - in black :P Not the same but then no re-re is the same as its namesake right :)

Depends on what you want to collect I guess. On top of these 2, I still think the earlier Racing Master, Competition Special chassis cars (basically all the metal chassis) types are still collectible.

Obviously the true collector will want the RA1201 I guess -- I know I would for the right price

Why have you singled out the Hilux and Blazer as the only collectable cars left? Tamiya could re-release these as well and there are loads of other cars to choose from.

My view is that re-release don't make cars less collectable, though they can affect their value as demand for the originals lessens. It really depends on what your definition of collectable is.

What is the meaning of 'collectable' ?

I am sure this was discussed several times so I don't bother to do it again, but:

Collectors have various reasons why they collect cars. From that point of view, each car is worth to be collected if you just ask the right person.

If you collect because you want to sell with revenue, the only issue may become to find someone who applies the same value metrics to the specific model.

And I would assume to find the person who is willing to spend as much or even more than you is very very difficult - especially when you are in need of some cash.

In other words - do you collect a car because you want to have the (provien) feeling to own a very expensive collector's item, or do you collect it because you appreciate the kit/car itself, e.g. the specific technology of the time it was made, the looks, the driving behaviour, the body etc...

With the increased re-release behaviour of Mr. T. I converted from Type 1 to Type 2.

And it is much more fun - I restore and drive my vintage cars, no matter how brittle or old they are.

I would guess everybody has his specific preferences for collecting cars.

Difficult to answer your poll - I am missing some options inbetween the lines.....

The Willy's Wheeler.

No sign of a reissue, if there was, they'd of done it on the WW-02 frame, 8 years ago.

That is if you are classifying "collectable" as something that is hard to find and worth a mint if you do.

Or, you could see "collectable" as nice looking and running models that were either iconic or have similar sentiment :P

Or, you could see "collectable" as nice looking and running models that were either iconic or have similar sentiment :P

Spot on :)

IMO...no...what about the celica gr.b.&porsche 959?

Surely the question your really meaning to be asking is this : - Following the confirmed Rough Rider re-release and quite possible Sand Scorcher re-release what will become the new Holy Grail? For me it would have to be the Bruiser.

Kyosho! I don't think they'll ever re-release anything. (Yeah, I know they re-released the snow plow thingy, but I don' think that counts. :P )

Well what do you mean with collectible? For some collectible means a car that is pretty rare, but not extremely rare, and has a big pricetag because of the demand (like the Blazer for example) - others see collectible as a car that never had a big demand, was never produced in high numbers and therefor is very hard to find (often these cars are from a less popular brand) - some people see collectible as a car which was produced in very limited numbers, or even rarer, a prototype car (like for example the TRF211X).

I agree, the Hilux / Blazer are the only 2 vehicle worthy of collecting. Hoister your weapons, stand down and hear me out first.

I know collectibles are a very personal thing. Why I agreed the original old 3 spds are it is because of the attention to details; the metal castings; the locking front hubs; the available shocks (though not very functional); the metal ladder type frame; a real working metal 3 spds tranny; metal drive shaft; differentials; a hard body with an interior; and the possible fitting of lights. Is the closest to the real thing. For play, a sealed box to house all electricals.

Lots of planning and thoughts went into these machines given the available technology and the limited computer power back than.

Sure is not a duriable or perform as well as we would like but these 2 models are closest to the real thing.

My a choice between the orignal NIB black porsche or NIB Hilux / Blazer? The black porsche... because I would sell the black porsche and buy the Hilux / Blazer and have money in the bank. Thats my collectible side and investment sid thinking at the same time.

It does of course depend on what everyone classes as their 'Holy Grail', which is different for everyone.

Personally my holy grail is a Hirobo Jealousy, only 300 cars built makes them something special to those who find one. If we are looking at Tamiya only then the ones I personally would be most desperate for and would spend most money on buying would be the 411X. Although both would be cheaper than what people pay for 3 speeds and SRBs. I don't class anything as a holy grail that I could find on ebay every couple of weeks.

I have had a 3 speed in the past, purely because it was a bargain and I put it straight on ebay to raise funds for something I wanted. I have no interest in adding one to my collection.

As you can guess there's no way I can vote in the poll as I don't agree with either of the statements.

.....Personally my holy grail is a Hirobo Jealousy, only 300 cars built makes them something special to those who find one....

Oh, then I am a real collector Terry - I have one :D

(I was wondering if I beat our top notch collector HonKong over the Jealousy...)

As always a great deal of depth to some of the answers, also a good list of vintage cars that are worth looking at as a collector.

Whilst I love the old three speeds for their design, there are a number of great as yet not re-re'd cars listed above. The term collector has been well covered, in other threads but the term to me (above) means quite simply original, rare / sought after (not necessarily both) tamiya models NIB or built or run.

Paul

As collectibles are a personal thing, but I in terms of unique body would be the Fiat Abarth 1000 with the displayed engine at the rear. I am not sure if one is just getting into Tamiya would he/she know of this feature. All Tamiya catalogues do not show the rear and I don't think Tamiya specifly mention this feature in the write up section. And I don't recall Tamiya has another RC that has an engine display, an interior cockpit yes, but an engine is a little hidden gem. I know the Abrath is not exactly a real head turner nor porsche killer in real like but is a unique kit that Tamiya put out. (unless one consider the RR or SS motor shown in the rear is an engine.)

If Hilux and Blazer gets re-re, they will definately be worth getting.....along with all the others such as

Rough Rider

Sand Scorcher

Super Champ

Holiday Buggy

Sand Rover

......there are more that I cannot recall at the moment. :D

....never say never.

I would say a NIB Jugg, the lowrider Midnight Pumpkin (not a Hybrid, Sorry everybody who made lowriders) and then the Mountaineer. We see a lot of Hilux, Bruiser and Blazer posts but I might be mistaken but it's been ages since last I saw a post of a Mountaineer. Then the weird and wonderful short or limited run models, like the Merc CLK posted earlier today, the German rally Subaru, get my drift. But I also have to agree on the Willie Wheeler. Not many of them around.

All Fords are collectible to me as that is something I like and would like to see a lot of in my collection, same goes for Chevy, most notably, CLODBUSTERS, hundreds of them.......

Henk

If Hilux and Blazer gets re-re, they will definately be worth getting.....along with all the others such as

Rough Rider

Sand Scorcher

Super Champ

Holiday Buggy

Sand Rover

......there are more that I cannot recall at the moment. :D

....never say never.

what about the monster beetle?