Sign in to follow this  
3doorpete

Traxxas Slash Or Sc10

Not sure which to go for.

Like the Traxxas for ruggedness and looks.

Like the SC10 for mud flaps and most likely better out of box performance being an Associated...

Not sure which to go for.

Like the Traxxas for ruggedness and looks.

Like the SC10 for mud flaps and most likely better out of box performance being an Associated...

Slash is cheaper and spare parts are easy to get hold of.

sc10 out performs it easily

SC10 looks much nicer, more realistic, scale

both are rugged, but slash has that flexible plastic if you "stupid drive" it. You know, jumping over a garage, ect.

Parts are easily avialable for both. Both share many parts with other brand specific cars and trucks.

Slash kind of wanders and bounces, rattles over everything. SC10 you point it and go in that direction.

I owned both, but the SC10 I'm keeping :)

sc10 out performs it easily

SC10 looks much nicer, more realistic, scale

both are rugged, but slash has that flexible plastic if you "stupid drive" it. You know, jumping over a garage, ect.

Parts are easily avialable for both. Both share many parts with other brand specific cars and trucks.

Slash kind of wanders and bounces, rattles over everything. SC10 you point it and go in that direction.

I owned both, but the SC10 I'm keeping :)

Thanks - I thought the associated would be the better drive, but I'm not excited about the looks. Decisions, decisions!!

Really, I think the AE looks better

here is a nice shot for you

Thought I''d share this...

All are brushless

SC8 I converted, mamba max w/ 2048kv running 2, 2s 4500 lipos

SC10 I just picked up a RTR body for it, mamba max VXL motor

Redcat Racing I bought on e-pay to check out, worth it for under 200 includes brushless system and a shotgun 2000 mah nimh. Has a 3300kv motor

comparison shots

_ _ _ _ _ SC8 lucas oil _ _ _ _ _ _ SC10 Pro Comp _ _ _ _ _ _ Redcat Vortex

normal_corr_001.JPG

I think the SC10 does look marginally better, but in the end I went for the Traxxas with the new Amsoil shell. I know that technically, the SC10 is a better RC car, plus it is a kit (which I prefer) rather than RTR, but I bought the Traxxas on the grounds of :

a) Waterproof out of the box. Most of my running is on the beach and on the private unsurfaced road my house is on.

;) I'm not planning to race it.

c) Ground clearance - Traxxas has more and this is of good benefit where I run and the limiting factor when I run my Blitzer Beetle.

d) I love the Amsoil shell!

I think it's a pity that Traxxas messed up on the looks of the shell and the fact that the wheels stick out of the wheelarches - It's trying to be scale, comes as close as any Traxxas car has so far - but just missed out on the real scale looks, which the SC10 does have. The SC10 will perform much better than the Traxxas, however I can imagine that being based on the T4, it will be much more fragile than the Slash ;)

I think it's a pity that Traxxas messed up on the looks of the shell and the fact that the wheels stick out of the wheelarches - It's trying to be scale, comes as close as any Traxxas car has so far - but just missed out on the real scale looks, which the SC10 does have. The SC10 will perform much better than the Traxxas, however I can imagine that being based on the T4, it will be much more fragile than the Slash :unsure:

Tires are tucked under a Slash body, at least if it's running stock wheels and tires.

I would not call the SC10 fragile, I've been driving the thing hard, only damage so far was a stripped wheel hub.

Tires are tucked under a Slash body, at least if it's running stock wheels and tires.

I would not call the SC10 fragile, I've been driving the thing hard, only damage so far was a stripped wheel hub.

Some pictures in the Gallery of Traxxas make it appear like that then ;) And then still you catch my drift I guess :P Regarding the SC10, I didn't expect that. Since it's based on the T4 (and that on the B4) I thought the competition family it's based on would make for good performance but lesser reliability - but that's not true then, I guess :unsure: The thing holding me back from buying one of both is that the spares aren't easy to get hold of in the Netherlands itself (which is annoying if you would need parts quickly instead of an order from the internet for example) and I don't have room for more cars in my collection until I sell on one or two cars first :D

Having now run the Traxxas Slash - I'd say it's not a good tarmac truck or good on any sort of grippy surface.

In it's true element, on gravel and dust though, it's awesome fun, very controllable oversteer and drifts. Fast enough out of the box to have real fun, although the suspension has too much static sag for me. I'll be adding some preload to the shocks all around. The flip side to this is that even when the body is going in the air after big bumps or stones, the wheel travel extends down and still stays in contact with the ground, driving forward.

A lot of people say they roll easily, but I only rolled it once in 25 minutes of running and that was on my tarmac drive!!

Very impressed with the quality at the price point, but as others have said - for fun I want this truck - if I was racing, I'd definitely want the race bred Associated SC10.

Additionally, if you've ever watch CORRS racing, these are extremely scale representations of how those trucks run.

Having now run the Traxxas Slash - I'd say it's not a good tarmac truck or good on any sort of grippy surface.

In it's true element, on gravel and dust though, it's awesome fun, very controllable oversteer and drifts. Fast enough out of the box to have real fun, although the suspension has too much static sag for me. I'll be adding some preload to the shocks all around. The flip side to this is that even when the body is going in the air after big bumps or stones, the wheel travel extends down and still stays in contact with the ground, driving forward.

A lot of people say they roll easily, but I only rolled it once in 25 minutes of running and that was on my tarmac drive!!

Very impressed with the quality at the price point, but as others have said - for fun I want this truck - if I was racing, I'd definitely want the race bred Associated SC10.

Additionally, if you've ever watch CORRS racing, these are extremely scale representations of how those trucks run.

Guys that have trouble rolling it add preload, and even put huge tires on them lifting it up off the ground raising the COG.

High COG = Rollovers :)

They all are fun, and can be setup different ways for different driving types

I like mine squated a bit, handles awesome and like you said with the tires on the ground you still have control and forward momentum

Guys that have trouble rolling it add preload, and even put huge tires on them lifting it up off the ground raising the COG.

High COG = Rollovers :)

They all are fun, and can be setup different ways for different driving types

I like mine squated a bit, handles awesome and like you said with the tires on the ground you still have control and forward momentum

If you are having problems with it rolling - like you say - raising the preload is a bad plan - high COG = even more problems, plus potentially more body roll. The body roll does make it look scale though but it would be interesting to see how it handled with some ARB's as it comes with none. It needs a front ARB more than a rear, but that would probably induce understeer, resulting in a loss of fun with the chassis.

Ultimately, you just need to run it on the right surfaces. If you are jumping it though, it definitely needs more preload or slightly stiffer springs.

As for the comments on the wheels sitting proud of the arches, I don't agree. - here are my pics to prove. My slash action shots If anything, the arches need to be cut a big better but that would reduce the scale look.