I have recently built a mini and its very noisy when running, I have changed the motor, stripped and rebuilt the gearbox double checking I built it correctly and its still doing it.

Its not a grinding noise more of a 'sshhhhheeeeeeeeee' might it be a dodgy bearing? (its ballraced)

I have recently built a mini and its very noisy when running, I have changed the motor, stripped and rebuilt the gearbox double checking I built it correctly and its still doing it.

Its not a grinding noise more of a 'sshhhhheeeeeeeeee' might it be a dodgy bearing? (its ballraced)

It's an M03, they're ALL noisy... Don't expect it to be quiet like a Touring Car, they aren't.

It's an M03, they're ALL noisy... Don't expect it to be quiet like a Touring Car, they aren't.

Mine isnt? :)

I have to say my brothers m03 is pretty silent too.

Is the pinion located correctly on the motor shaft? It could be rubbing on the inside of the gearbox case.

Thanks will check that out

It could be that water has entered in one of the motor's (or car's) bearings, losing (most of) it's lubrication. This causes a loud, continuous squeaky sound - Something like stamping on a rat and looping the sound with some audio software... :D

Its not that noisy, just is to all my other cars - maybe its just a feature of these?

I've raced M03's for years and i've never heard a quiet one, the noise is just a character of the M03. They will get excessive noise if you let the alloy pinion wear out. This is usually the sign of impendening gearbox failure. Replace the pinion with the hardened one from the F201 or a steel one and they will last much longer.

This causes a loud, continuous squeaky sound - Something like stamping on a rat and looping the sound with some audio software... :D

:)

What a fantastic description - I love it.

Have you had a chance to compare it against another M-03? I was worried about mine until I heard some other ones running and realized that it was normal.

Mines very noisey too. I have been running it for ages with 4300kv brushless and the gearbox shows no major wear. The noise it makes I would have expected it to wear really fast.

I run it with silicon spray lube, bearings, carbon shafts and steel pinion.

the noise is simply from the 0.6 module gear size. had the M03 been running 0.4 module gears, or else helical, it will be whisper quiet.

I'm not sure how well the gear mesh is internally, but so far so good.

the whine though, is reminiscent of a straight cut, dog gearbox.

At our club I was thinking of issuing ear defenders to the marshals during the Mini races. :D

At our club I was thinking of issuing ear defenders to the marshals during the Mini races. :P

then we'd feel much less guilty for screaming at them :P