Sign in to follow this  
robster959

Too Many Setup Options!

Hey all,

I just picked up a used TA05 and DF03, and was wondering what sort differences mounting the shocks in the various holes makes. Or even adjusting the stiffness of the springs on the Aluminum damper set on the DF03. Is there any sort of guide which explains it?

Cheers,

Rob

The only way to adjust the stiffness of a spring is to actually swap it out with a different spring. The adjusters on the threaded shock bodies only serve to adjust ride height. Sometimes manuals call this spring tension, but this isn't the case. The cars weight is what actually produces the tension, and that does not change...

As for setup, start with the instructions recommendation. On things like camber, go with 1.5* front & rear. With toe, be sure to use a little toe-out in the front, and kit setting in the rear (toe-in).

If there are any other settings you have any questions about, don't hesitate to ask...

Biggest effect that moving shock location holes is in the progressivness of the shock. A straight up and down shock is very linear in it's dampening. A laid down shock (Db01 and 501x fronts) creates a much more progressive dampening. Soft at first bit of compression and then becoming more stiff upon further compression. This is caused by the shock having to compress faster as the travel moves up.

When I switched to the Aeration shocks on my DF03 the fronts were longer than stock shocks so I moved the bottom to the 2nd to last outside mount hole to maintain ride height. I believe this is two out from stock location. The result, combined with the progressive nature of the aeration shocks, was a very progressive dampening front and rear. Now it takes high frequency bumps with ease and doesn't bottom out nearly as easy in the big stuff. I can actually jump without slapping the belly hard on the ground. This is with 35 weight fluid and soft springs.

When moving stock length shocks it may effect ride height as well.

Thanks guys. I haven't gotten to driving the DF03 yet as I'm waiting for a part, but I've got a question about suspension on my Blitzer Beetle. I put a 27T stock motor in it and it's much quicker than stock. So much so that when I drive it on the very bumpy, uneven local track, it hits ruts or small bumps on the straight and the rear gets thrown up in the air, or the front will will change direction as it loses control. What kind of sentence was that? I'm not clear on what would help maintain control in this kind of situation. More/less spacers on the shocks, thicker oil, more or less holes on the piston ends? I used to think that rough needed soft setups, and flat/smooth needed stiff. In the past, I always liked watching the Blitzer's suspension work and soak up the bumps on different surfaces. On this track, it seems to be taking a beating, and you can really hear the motor/gears slow down and have to work to get up to speed with each hit they take. Again just wondering if there were any sort of guidelines to follow.

---Ok, I was looking through the guide in the link and found some guidelines for setting shock angles, piston holes, etc...

Thanks,

Rob