dazaa

Gcse On Monday :(

Some members may have noticed I havn't posted much in the past few weeks. Well the main reason is that I have my first 2 science gcse's on monday. Been revising like mad and been getting A's and afew high B's in mocks so hopefully it will go alright. Anyone else got exams soon? If I get a stars in both then I think I am due a nice new tamiya.......

All moral support welcome!

dazaa

All I can say is I wish you good luck! I hated the whole GCSE thing when I was at school, I never revised for anything (so probably best you DON'T listen to me!), but I did ok! Don't rush it, think it over and do your best! You can't do anymore than that!

Guest joelvardy

My last GSCE will be science this Wednesday @ 09:00 for 40mins (21 century duel award - OCR)

Then they are done, I think i've done well in them so far, As Bs and a few Cs (such as English :D )

Good luck, we'll find out on the 26th of August eh?

My last GSCE will be science this Wednesday @ 09:00 for 40mins (21 century duel award - OCR)

Then they are done, I think i've done well in them so far, As Bs and a few Cs (such as English ;) )

Good luck, we'll find out on the 26th of August eh?

Well this morning was the time of reckoning. It was suprisingly easy, although a couple of questions were luky guess's. I have definatly passed, just hope I get above a B. Yep I think the results come on on the 26th. Good luck with your exam, but what exactly is duel centuary? Unfortuanatly, in November I have 2 more science GCSE'S, then another 2 in june 2010 and then I have additional science in YR11. And while I do all that I have another 9 GCSE's to do :o

Dazaa

Guest joelvardy

21st Century science is another course offered by OCR for science.

The courses offered to us: (I think each school can choose the Exam Board and therefore the courses)

- applied science

- 21st century - 2 GCSEs

- Triple Science (separate: biology, chemistry, physics) - 3 GCSEs

The science text I have on Wednesday is:

B5 (Growth and development)

C5 (Chemicals of the natural environment)

P5 (Electric circuits)

For some reason known only to the exam board we did modules 6 - before 5 :S

I'm glad to have got all my other GCSEs done and to have left compulsory education.

One word of advise (which I know you will get told all the time... And just like us you will start to fall asleep every time you go into an assemblies because you know they will mention the same thing they have done for the past 4years only now they will spend longer on it....)

---

The last year will fly and you will be starting your main block of exams before you know it! Christmas is the last real holiday you get.

---

Regards, Joel

whats a GCSE?

when i lived in cali i have to take the CHSEE, or California High School Exit Exam and here in oregon i took the SAT and ACT. is the GCSE like any of these?

Guest joelvardy

GCSE stands for: General Certificate of Secondary Education

I've just had a quick look around on the internet about the qualifications you mentioned but couldn't find anything right away (looked for 10mins)

I cant really say if they are similar but GCSEs you study for 2years on your specified course taking a number of exams (in some subjects the qualification is awarded for both exams and coursework, in some subjects they are awarded solely for coursework.)

As an example, I took Design Technology.

So the first year I studied the theory and basically played around in the workshop 'learning'

The second year we worked on our coursework which was a Lighting project. This was worth 60% of our overall mark.

We then had 1 exam which was 90mins which made up the other 40%

For this I will receive 1 GCSE

Another important point. GCSEs are awarded in grades, A* ~ G

generally speaking (not wanting to sound snobbish - but to get at those who screwed my DT lessons up for 2 years) A* ~ C is classed as a Pass and D and below is a Fail

- I think 7 people out of 26 in my DT class got above a C (I got an A) [this is in the coursework for which I already have the mark]

You can also study vocational courses which don't have an exam, I took one of these (IT)

These are aimed at people who don't do well in tests although I took the OCR Nationals course because I would chose the topics I wanted to study allowing me to enjoy the course. I alalready got the results for this subject.

B & C - sadly my work was lost on a server crash and I lost all drive for the subject, I'm not blaming the loss of work because I had a year to re-do it, but that is the reason for the C (which is kinda annoying)

[This course was a duel award - hence the 2 marks]

I think I've talked for long enough anyway, I should do some work for this science exam tomoz :/

How did the exams go? Hopefully you'll be getting a nice surprise come results day.

On my results day I was allowed to go to Reading Festival if I passed them all - I did, in fact getting 12 A-C grades, so not only did my parents pay for my Festival ticket, they bought me a case of beer, gave me £50 spending money and there was my Grandad's old car waiting for me to learn to drive in when I got home. If I'd known that was the incentive I would have put a bit of effort in!

Guest joelvardy

LMAO I gotta say I wish I had pushed a bit harder in my maths (as that is the only subject I am worried about..)

But that's very easy to say after being off for 6 weeks, its different when you have coursework and other subjects to pass tests on

Roll on August 26th!

LMAO I gotta say I wish I had pushed a bit harder in my maths (as that is the only subject I am worried about..)

But that's very easy to say after being off for 6 weeks, its different when you have coursework and other subjects to pass tests on

Roll on August 26th!

I really hope I get a good suprise. After being off school for 4 weeks I am getting quite worried....I really hope I do well, otherwise my rc collection might find it's way on to ebay....

Well I definatly know I have passed, most of the questions had been on previous papers and I am certain I got above 25.

Please pray for me and joel ;))))))))

dazaa

Guest joelvardy

I've just found out that results day is on the 27th of August not the 26th :)

What I think is quite stupid, I get my results on the 27th I have my first day of college on the 5th of September. So if I don't get the result I need I have 9 days to get it sorted (grovel to mr Graham Thorpe.)

Guest joelvardy

Well..... 12 and a half hours.....

I'm actually not very nervous but I'm sure I will be come the morning when it sinks in that the last 5 years of work come down to the letters on a piece of paper!

Good luck to anyone else picking up their results tomorrow and I hope you did well if you picked your A level results up a week ago

Joel

Guest joelvardy
Good Luck dudes - I'm sure it will all be fine. The exams are so easy these days anyway! :)

Yeah I know.... Shame that the older generations would fail at today's exams :/

I know you're joking but the whole 'exams are easy' is:

1, not true... imo

2, not amazingly relevant. My DT GCSE is only 40% exam and 60% product. Pretty much all GCSEs are made up of both coursework and exam

Edit: Sorry got wound up on the last bit... Forgot the good luck... Thanxx :)

Well I did my GCSEs 10 years ago now, but I did manage to pass all 12 with A*-C grades having done no revision. Someone at work was passing around a French paper from this year, and I got most of it right even 10 years on.

Still, it all seems difficult until you get the results, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised tomorrow morning!

Guest joelvardy

Thanku I'm pretty confident other than maths... That might just be psychological since its the one I need

My generalisation was out, I would challenge people who say exams are easier these days to get a good score in a modern maths exam.. I know a few parents who have tried and failed. Although this is mainly down to modern terminology

Guest joelvardy

I'm happy with my results, as suspected I didn't get the B which I needed in maths.. But as I think I said previously that is not a big issue, I should still get on the course.

I got:

3 A's [Geography] [Citizenship] [Design Technology]

4 B's [science + Additional] [English, language] [CIDA]

3 C's [Maths] [CIDA Additional] [English, literature]

1 D [Religious Studies]

I also got a business level pass for French, fun...

A big shout out to The Furry Critter who I can say did much better than me, well done Matt

Guest joelvardy
Well done Joel - looks like you're not cut out to be a priest though :)

Thanks, yeah fortunately my career plan is still ok!

I was expecting a C in RE but I certainly didn't put the effort in, so its fair

Edit: and yeah, I'm at home when I should be getting wasted, urm I mean 'Celebrating'... Bring on the weekend =)

Thanks, yeah fortunately my career plan is still ok!

I was expecting a C in RE but I certainly didn't put the effort in, so its fair

Edit: and yeah, I'm at home when I should be getting wasted, urm I mean 'Celebrating'... Bring on the weekend =)

Hey, congratulations joevlardy :))) I just got my results A* and B. I am very happy with the A* but I'm considering resitting the B because It was the easier paper and I didn't expect to get and A* on the harder paper ;))

Dazaa

Guest joelvardy
Hey, congratulations joevlardy :))) I just got my results A* and B. I am very happy with the A* but I'm considering resitting the B because It was the easier paper and I didn't expect to get and A* on the harder paper ;))

Dazaa

Well done fella!

I got Bs on units 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

But only got a C on both of the ideas in context papers... I'm not a big fan of those :/

^ That will probably only make sense if you're doing the 21st century science course... Unsure how the other one is structured

Well done all. Sounds like some good results.

I wouldn't bother re-sitting anything lower than a C, unless you need it for an A-Level course. No-one will care what grades you got at GCSE in 2 years time!

I'm happy with my results, as suspected I didn't get the B which I needed in maths.. But as I think I said previously that is not a big issue, I should still get on the course.

I got:

3 A's [Geography] [Citizenship] [Design Technology]

4 B's [science + Additional] [English, language] [CIDA]

3 C's [Maths] [CIDA Additional] [English, literature]

1 D [Religious Studies]

I also got a business level pass for French, fun...

A big shout out to The Furry Critter who I can say did much better than me, well done Matt

Well done, Joel :) It's a big moment in ones time. What's next for you? And what is CIDA?