SteelRat

Falcon Drive Cup Upgrades

There's a drive shaft upgrade available for the Frog / MB that upgrades the nasty ball hex joint to a more standard pin and cup arrangement, just wondered if there's anything similar available for the Falcon - or at least parts from other cars that'll fit?

It's the Thorps Dog Bone Kit 4572 that I'm after, but these seem to be a bit like the proverbial rocking horse droppings when it comes to trying to getting hold of a set.

Don't suppose anyones tried something else as a replacement?

I've seen CRP upgrades to the standard plastic dogbones, but they're just reinforced versions of the stock items.

Other than that, I don't think the Falcon shares these parts with other cars.

Have a look through the runner/restored Falcons in the showrooms, see if you can find anyone who's cobbled something together.

- James

Thanks for the reply James - I did have a quick look through the Falcon section to see what people had done which is what revealed the Thorp bits. I originally bought my Falcon from Ebay and until last night hadn't taken the thing to bits to see what was what. Originally I thought it was these that were worn and causing the drive arms to slip, but in actual fact it was a very badly worn internal bevel gear and the bearing inside the gearbox that these axles connect to that were the problem. I've replaced the internal bearings with metal ones, and have a new gear bag on order, so we should be good as new in a week or so!

Sorry I 've come in a bit late here :rolleyes: There are three options on this. The first is to put new cups in and then use new CRP dogbones. This allows the Crp dogs to bed into the cups and get a better fit. The next option is to fit the aformentioned Thorp dirtburner set. This is permanent and worth the money but expensive and requires patience to find ( sorry I have none left :D ) Also robinson racing and RCW did a set both the same as the thorp set, just as dear and twice as rare. The third option is also from dirtburners (thorp) it's a telescopic dogbone set. As before with the CRP dogs you always replace the cups with new ones and then fit the telescopic set. I think Jason RC has a set in his shop right now just stick this into ebay- Falcon dirt burners an worldwide setting and keep a look out in JR-rc's shop I gave Neil (LAMMAC) a set for his falcon and he is currently running them fine with a silly wind motor B)

Just found the thorp set up for grabs too if you hurry and have deep pockets (expect them to go for about £30- £50) a set. Type this into ebay on worldwide setting

VINTAGE THORP MFG. TAMIYA FALCON DOG BONE & AXLE KIT

And done forget the chassy front mods (crp front brace and make a top brace like this (pics 5 & 6 ) http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...51&sid=6167 ) ! if your going to run it it won't last 5 mins in stock form. With these mods it will last forever B)

Heh thanks for your input Sgt.. yours was the Falcon that I was paying particular attention to in the showrooms! (ignore my dumb question in your comments, helps if I read the titles of the pics before I ask doesn't it :rolleyes: )

Already done the font CRP brace, and good find on that thorp Kit! Have it in my watch list.

Gday all,

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but are the original cups/dog bones still available (Or even whole "E" parts bag)?

I'd like to return it back to original, seeing I got it new for xmas when I was 12 (21 years ago!)

Eyeing another off on Ebay - compete car, but it's not pay week this week :)

No, long since discontinued. You'd have to find an old stock set from a vintage parts seller eg on eBay, or post a wanted ad.

- James

No worries, thanks for the quick reply HunterZero. I'll have to look into it.

You can use a set of ReRe Holoiday buggy drive cups and the CRP dogbones, it looks almost identical to the originals, but the drive cups are slightly deeper so you don't lose the dogbones.

Some of the old stock you find on Ebay are getting a bit brittle to be run seriously. I broke two sets before I found out about the HB ones. They don't sit as deep in the gearbox but they've run on my Falcon with no problems for almost a year now.

You can use a set of ReRe Holoiday buggy drive cups and the CRP dogbones, it looks almost identical to the originals, but the drive cups are slightly deeper so you don't lose the dogbones.

Some of the old stock you find on Ebay are getting a bit brittle to be run seriously. I broke two sets before I found out about the HB ones. They don't sit as deep in the gearbox but they've run on my Falcon with no problems for almost a year now.

Great tonysmini, that might be the way to go. Do you happen to have any part numbers for them?

there is a pair of crp dogbones on ebay right now for $4 buy it now price .

crp dogs on ebay

these drive cups also work, i think they are identical to the re re holiday buggy ones , cause it is built on the df02 chassis .

drive cups on ebay

and here is a set of falcon drive cups and crp dogbones

falcon drivecups and dogbones on ebay

i am not the seller , i just have them saved in myebay watch list .

Holiday Buggy is DT02. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Mark

ooops that's what i meant , dt02 not df02

tamiyavancouver ... i live in Delta ! . nice to see some more vintage people in the area .

ooops that's what i meant , dt02 not df02

tamiyavancouver ... i live in Delta ! . nice to see some more vintage people in the area .

Cool. I live in the Coquitlam area.

Mark

I only just noticed the replies, and the items ended yesterday! :(

Will the cups from any DT-02 chassis fit the Falcon?

I have spied these on Ebay Falcon drive cups + dog bones

Should I go for these, or the HB DT-02 style ones?

I want to run original wheels, so will this affect which ones I go for?

I only just noticed the replies, and the items ended yesterday! :(

Will the cups from any DT-02 chassis fit the Falcon?

I have spied these on Ebay Falcon drive cups + dog bones

Should I go for these, or the HB DT-02 style ones?

I want to run original wheels, so will this affect which ones I go for?

Listen Falcon # 5,

Just my two cents worth. i would wait for a set of the throp dirt burners to come up. They do from time to time. I have run all three types. Stock, The CRP set-up and THe Thorp Dirt Burner Set. Defiantely if you want a stronger set-up go with the Thorp Set Up. They will appear from time to time. I had to wait almost 6 months before I found a set of Ebay. BUt worth the wait. If you want something in the meanwhile, private message me and maybe I can help you out. I have lots of options. I have stock plastic set-ups and CRP set-ups as well. Hope that helps!

OSR

the stock ones IIRC work reasonably well, its when they get worn (the metal wears the plastic quickly) that they get loose and fall out.

So if you want to run, use the std ones and keep and eye for the upgraded ones.

i have the thorpe on mine, a HUGE improvement from slightly work std items :(

the stock ones IIRC work reasonably well, its when they get worn (the metal wears the plastic quickly) that they get loose and fall out.

So if you want to run, use the std ones and keep and eye for the upgraded ones.

i have the thorpe on mine, a HUGE improvement from slightly work std items :(

Late to this post ....but same problem here.

Been searching for the Thorp set-up on ebay for sometime now. Anyone have any leads on where I might find a set of the Thorps?

Also, was wondering if anyone has tried the Sand Viper Set-up....DT-02, but using metal? Wondering if I should spring for the kit and try to rig those in there.(makes for one expensive upgrade, or maybe I'll maybe I'll like the viper better)

....amazing what the nostalgia of things we had as kids will put us through.

Late to this post ....but same problem here.

Been searching for the Thorp set-up on ebay for sometime now. Anyone have any leads on where I might find a set of the Thorps?

Also, was wondering if anyone has tried the Sand Viper Set-up....DT-02, but using metal? Wondering if I should spring for the kit and try to rig those in there.(makes for one expensive upgrade, or maybe I'll maybe I'll like the viper better)

....amazing what the nostalgia of things we had as kids will put us through.

They do come across ebay once in awhile you have to be patient. I have 3 sets that I have been sitting on for the past five years. I found them through various auctions over the years.

OSR

Am i correct in thinking the Falcon is essentually a Blitzer ? If so what i did was to fit touring car hard cups and 3racing blackfoot extreme cvd's . It now runs a 4370kv 9t brushless and so far its proved to be bullet proof .

Am i correct in thinking the Falcon is essentually a Blitzer ? If so what i did was to fit touring car hard cups and 3racing blackfoot extreme cvd's . It now runs a 4370kv 9t brushless and so far its proved to be bullet proof .

No that's a common misconception. The only part that is common to both buggy's is the bath tub. Because it has Falcon stamped on it people assume the whole thing is the same. The Blitzer is a Bearhawk chassis with bigger wheels again with the falcon tub. Even the fittings inside the tub for the battery and MSC mount are different.

On the Plus side I have been working on an all metal drive system using modern off the shelf & cheap Tamiya parts and it seems to be bomb proof. I have just agreed to buy a 9T brushless set like Bromvw's to give it the acid test but at the moment it seems too be fine with a Tamiya super modified 11t brushed and crazy driving. I usually use Thorpe sets but I have even been shearing the cups from the stubs on them whilst running on high grip surfaces due to the torque of the motor. The Tamiya standard steel set does not seem to have this weakness. I will reveal all in a how to showroom entry shortly.

Mark

No that's a common misconception. The only part that is common to both buggy's is the bath tub. Because it has Falcon stamped on it people assume the whole thing is the same. The Blitzer is a Bearhawk chassis with bigger wheels again with the falcon tub. Even the fittings inside the tub for the battery and MSC mount are different.

+1 here barnes is right.

On the Plus side I have been working on an all metal drive system using modern off the shelf & cheap Tamiya parts and it seems to be bomb proof. I have just agreed to buy a 9T brushless set like Bromvw's to give it the acid test but at the moment it seems too be fine with a Tamiya super modified 11t brushed and crazy driving. I usually use Thorpe sets but I have even been shearing the cups from the stubs on them whilst running on high grip surfaces due to the torque of the motor. The Tamiya standard steel set does not seem to have this weakness. I will reveal all in a how to showroom entry shortly.

Mark

I'd be really interested in what you've done here. The HB cups I modded and fitted have started to wear and get a bit sloppy so a steel set up would be perfect.

I'd be really interested in what you've done here. The HB cups I modded and fitted have started to wear and get a bit sloppy so a steel set up would be perfect.

Coming soon :unsure: