Sign in to follow this  
Gravel-Hounda

Re-re Brat

Hi all. Finished building my new re-re Brat over the weekend, and it's great. Only thing I need some advice with is the choice of gearing. I opted for speed, but I'm not impressed. I've thrown a Sport Tuned at it, and it seems to have some speed. With the re-re kit you get the option of 'Standard' 'Speed' or 'Torque' gearing. I'm after that "pulled the trigger back and there was dirt flying all over the show" feeling. I am only assuming that if I swap the 'Speed' for 'Torque' am I going to get that feeling, or is the 'Standard' gearing the way to go??

Anyone who has found the right combination, can you please let me know, as I really want to enjoy my Brat. I've been waiting 26years to own one. Here's a pic. Metallic Red, not showing up to good under the lounge light.

Newbrat.jpg

Cheers' and Thanks

Del

i use the standard gearing and a 17 double motor. that really gets it moving

I'm with Bigoggy on this one - go for the middle of the road standard gearing - I race my Brat with a stock silver can motor in the Retro Racers class at Hinckley RCCC ( Racing Saturday afternoons - everyone welcome! ) It goes really well - was completely clearing the large table top jumps at the weekend and remember that's just with a stock Tamiya 540 in it. There's photo evidence here... Clicky clicky!

i have a brat and don't know if it is standard or touque but i run an 18 tooth pinion and a 27turn drift motor the thing flys!!!!

Did you break in the motor? I noticed a huge difference in my M-04s original silver can after I took the time to break it in properly.

Yeah, 540 standard motors aren't pre-broken in like most tuned motors. It takes them a few runs to break in.

If you can't wait, you can try the water dipping trick to break in the motor.

Ironically, you're more likely to get rooster tails with a smaller pinion/larger spur gear ratio, ie a higher torque setup. Taller gear ratios will 'dull' the off-the-line acceleration feel.

Or I'd suggest grabbing a torquier motor like a Tamiya RZ or BZ stock motor and full ball bearings. You can try these motors with the standard TEU-101BK, but it the car stutters or stops running, be prepared that your particular ESC can't handle the current load and you need a better ESC.

- James

If you can't wait, you can try the water dipping trick to break in the motor....You can try these motors with the standard TEU-101BK...

Instead of going through the full break-in process for a brushed motor I just ran them in water with a 4-cell NiMh and it worked great. I'm sure if I paid more attention I probably could have gotten more out of them but for me the fun is in driving the car, not getting everything perfect.

I have also found out that when it comes to 101BK ESCs, they are not all created equal. The one I had in my M-03 never had a problem with any motor I ran on it. Of course the hottest thing I ever did was a 19T, but there was never a problem. The one in my M-04 had problems running a hotter 27T, which it was supposed to be able to handle. None of them were that extreme but it just didn't work.

Hi all. thanks for that. Seems the general reply is standard gearing, and bearings. I robbed some bearings out of one of my other R/Cs last night, so I'm half way there. Will swap out gearing tonight and let you know how it goes. Forgive me for being stupid. But what is the water break-in? Do you just drop into a cup of water and give it full throttle? Does a Sport Tuned need to be broken in? I've got a Dyna Run motor, might throw that at it and see.

Yeah I add some issues with a 101BK and a RZ motor. ESC didn't like it, yet it ran a Dyna Run. Go figure.

Cheers' and ta

Del

THAT"S BETTER :) Now we've got some power. Standard gearing it is. Got more power to do this..........................

Brataction4.jpg

Brataction2.jpg

Thanks to all that replied ;)

Great photos. Glad the gearing change helped. Good to see another Brat taking flight - they jump really well.

Great photos. Glad the gearing change helped. Good to see another Brat taking flight - they jump really well.

Thanx eddy. Yeah I'm well impressed with the difference. Great photos 'yes', but I took about 25 and these were the best two. Yeah I'm loving my Brat, it's such a cool Tamiya.

Cheers'

Del

i have the torque gear in mine with the stock 540 .....just ran it for the first time and now im switching to the middle standard gear...to see what the difference is...eventually im gonna drop a 17t double in there....

Another re-re BRAT fan here! Stock gearing, Sport tuned motor, full ball bearings (I always go for fully ballraced on my RCs). Great fun - there's plenty of steering lock to counteract the slides :lol:

Diff.

Just finished the chassis of mine (still to do the two shells) and took it for a spin yesterday...

After reading threads like these, I went for the standard gearing and the only other things i've done is dipped and oiled my silvercan and added bearings.

I think I hyped myself up a bit beforehand but the Brat lived up to that hype, it's quite quick for a stock car, it smokes my Sport-tuned VLB in a quarter hundred metre race (1/10 1/4 mile?) I realise why the original came with a 380 now.

It's quite funny how it wheelspins everywhere, especially at low speed flicking the steering left-right-left etc and it fishtails :D

Very happy with my Bday pressie, I can see me having hours of fun with this one! :D

I knew wasting all of Tamiya101.coms bandwidth watching "dont be a brat" a hundred times over (not exagerating!) would pay off!