Singapore_959

Huge Tamiya Opportunity !

If you / we - TC community could pay for a professional complete car or parts stress testing and redesign which car would you choose?

My friends at Nimrod have been approached by a leading European engineering 'Final Analysis' group to nominate an item for a project. The item will be analysed by a team of engineers and stress tested in multiple ways and the results will be presented and discussed with Nimrod, who will than take this info to redsign the car/item.

The company involved has done work on many interesting projects, for example the Eurofighter.... :o:) so has testing capabilities beyond Nimrod, which makes this a special opportunity. It's hard to get big companys involved in r/c projects.

The guys have enjoyed the Dyna project immensely, so they have come back to me and asked me for suggestions as they would like to do another Tamiya model. Since I have had my wishes come true so to speak with the Dyna, I thought I would open this choice to the TC community :):);)

So .... what would you like to have improved?? ! :lol:

(somebody please say Avante ;):D )

I think for any 'mass' benefit it'd have to be a kit currently available, so would go for the Lunchbox - Already relatively bomb-proof, but could definitely use an expert once-over.

Would also be interesting to see how their recommendations compare to mods already presented on TC, especially as the mods here tend to concentrate on making it more 'driveable' than just a fun wheelie machine.

My suggestion would be the re-re Frog, largely because it's chassis forms the basis of a range of classic favourites like the Brat, Blackfoot and Monster Beetle.

(somebody please say Avante :):) )

AVANTE!

edit: I would like an indestructible Avante please :);):lol:

I would go for the remake of the Porsche 959 chassis parts.

All brittle plastic, the front gearbox joint to the main chassis tube just as one example.

There are many Porsches 959 out there, and no one driving them because of the issues with the plastic parts.

I would like to race mine - so go for this one pleaaaaase!!! :-)

I would go for:

- M01/M02 (the original parts have the tendancy to crack when you screw something in them, are way too flexible and with custom adjustable upper arms fitted the wheels can be moved forwards and backwards (across the length of the car) with just a gentle push - so I need to put the originals back on for at least some rigidness in the suspension arms).

- DF03 (Only the Steel main shaft instead of the aluminum original).

- SRB (A sort of re-release selection of vintage hop-up parts, like rear trail arms, reinforced front suspension parts, etc, etc).

My suggestion would be the re-re Frog, largely because it's chassis forms the basis of a range of classic favourites like the Brat, Blackfoot and Monster Beetle.

If we talk a perticular part I would say Rear swayarm!!! Test it break it and redesign it!!!!

I would go for:

- SRB (A sort of re-release selection of vintage hop-up parts, like rear trail arms, reinforced front suspension parts, etc, etc).

I would say rear trailarm susp like the original VW style!!! And UJ's style driveline!!!

Badboy

Another vote for the Frog - being the basis of many a model the outcome would hopefuly be of more interest to more people. I like the idea of the Lunchbox though - that could be fun. Perhaps the Grasshopper would be ideal too - start from something very basic and see where it goes. The Avante is too developed already, would seem a waste to me to redevelop that - but then again these guys probably would rather something interesting to work with. OK decision made - The Hotshot. Make us a perfect Hotshot. That would be interesting.

I too would go for the lunchbox. It looks great and is brilliant fun to drive but could do with some improvements, better suspesion, maybe 4wd, etc.

So Lunchbox !

I'm guessing that reguardless of which car they pick, only some small fraction of people will actually benefit from any enhancements they suggest. Which makes me think it might be better to go for something iconic and over-engineered.

Perhaps the original Hilux? Or the Hotshot? Or the Sand Scorcher?

With the re-release of the Rough Rider I think it would make a good candidate for improvement. I built one from parts off ebay years ago and I was VERY dissapointed with its suspension and turning circle. It would be nice to see improved front suspension, rear trailing arms, rear diff, better handling and maybe an injection moulded tub/chassis. They could go all out and do a 4WD conversion.

How about the Wild One ? Great looking car which could definitely do with a whole bunch of improvements...

Frog! it has a big potantial i think (just look at the Hot Trick or other nice conversions) and some stuff can also be used on the brat, blackfoots and monsterbeetles. so it's good for both imporoving the vintage and the new (rere) models ;)

def make a 4wd buggy like the avante or top force... that can compete with modern trf buggys...

or somthing hornet lunchbox style, as a lot of people have these

This is totally biased but - Vanquish. After seeing the amazing job Nimrod did with the Dyna project I would love to see them make one of the Avante family all it could be. And I figure it would be more impressive to start from a low base (ie - plastic) and go all the way with improved materials. Also from what I understand the Vanquish has a slightly lengthened chassis over the Avante which may provide a better base to start from.

I have to go with what I have... the Thunder Shot chassis cars. It needs a redesigned A5 part, shock towers that don't flex (dual shock version), and stronger suspension mounting points which of course are part of the gearbox. Also, the front upper chassis tabs where the front gearbox bolts to crack on very hard impacts.

While it's not the most popular chassis, the 4 cars that share this chassis have been around for 20 years, they have re-re'd the Thunder Shot in the past recent years, and they still make the Fire Dragon new. So it's not an obsolite platform, and it has plenty of re-engineering opportunites.

Well, given my choice I'm going to left field here...Sherman Tank. It's been in production since 1974 in one form or another it outclasses all for longevity, definitely needs a barrel recoil made to fit the tiny turret, an early style VVSS suspension (as opposed to the HVSS in the kit) would open up s zillion more opportunities to model more then the 3 or 4 variants able to be done now, and it'd be really fun to see one of these expensive kits abused in a way I'm afraid to do myself.

If I have to vote within the real world, I'd have to go HotShot, just out of pure selfishness, because I want a tighter diff than grease can give me, and I would like to see a drive shaft available with a center one-way, some FRP suspension arms and gear boxes, and so on and so forth.

For shizzle, I would go for a Hot Shot IFS conversion kit like this...

Grahoo's Hot Shot

Or a conversion kit for the Frog with 4WD belt drive and front IFS, like was posted in a Japanese RC magazine a while ago.

- James

If we talk a perticular part I would say Rear swayarm!!! Test it break it and redesign it!!!!

I would say rear trailarm susp like the original VW style!!! And UJ's style driveline!!!

Another vote for the Frog - being the basis of many a model the outcome would hopefuly be of more interest to more people....

I spent a month and a half picking a platform to get restarted in this hobby and I'd like to loudly SECOND THIS MOTION! Brat chassis!

A Hot Shot ball differential would be sweet - particularly because it would also fit other cars, like the Frog, Brat, Monster Beetle, Wild One...

Hot Shot wish list...

1. IFS front/rear

2. 1-piece full length CF lower deck, CF reinforced lightweight upper chassis, quick release battery

3. Better steering

4. Ball diffs

5. Ajustable upper arms and lightweight lower arms

6. Glass reinforced plastic gearboxes, maybe even with a newer more efficient drivetrain

- James

Frog or Brat since both are re-re and available.

Also, the King Cab and HI-LUX Monster Racer. Yes I am biased ;) !!

Well, since this will obviously cost money and time there has to be a 'business case' right? There has to be a purpose/return. To be honest, stress testing a vehicle to make a plastic part stronger just doesn't make sense. I would think it would be to take the vehicle from one 'category' or 'level' to the next, whether that was in competition, collectability or practicality. Surely any changes would be lost on a 'basher'?

My vote therefore is the DB01. Can this relatively good value buggy made into a 5xx beater? Perhaps it could with some smart engineering?

The result, should it prove worthwhile, will certainly sell like hotcakes if it comes in for much less than a 5xx chassis right?

I'll supply a NIB donor car, even two, if I can benefit from the results with a free hop up. ;)

Avante here! Mine is already seriously hopped up but in dire need of stronger parts as I LOVE driving it hard ;)

Lovely car ;)

Based on wht you achieved with the Dyna Storm, I'm REALLY hoping it will be Avante based...

lunchbox or frog

just because everyone has at least one of them,or a similar chassis(mb,blackfoot,brat,mp)