tarznatz

What Color To Back This Paint?

I am painting a body with Tamiya PS-3 light blue, and can't remember which color to back it with. Is it white, silver or black? Or does it matter as its not a metallic paint?

I think if you use black paint as backing, your blue will come out darker. A white backing would make your light blue paint "brighter" and less see through. I have never used silver nor black as a backing paint, only white for light colors and darker paint jobs never use any backing paint.

I used PS-3 for my beetle - wasn't as light as I'd hoped. So I backed it with PS white. While it lightened up a little, it didn't make much difference to the shade. It did make the beetle look like it had a nice white headliner though!

- James

I always use sliver when I need backing, doesn't affect the previous color...

Why do people use "backing"?

Well, either you need to paint colors in the wrong order (more painful to mask the other way) or you want a uniform inside colour (I like my bodies black on the inside)...

Why do people use "backing"?

it makes the color look deeper, more full. All metallic paints need to be backed with silver to make them "pop". Also serves to protect the base coat.

I used PS-3 for my beetle - wasn't as light as I'd hoped. So I backed it with PS white. While it lightened up a little, it didn't make much difference to the shade. It did make the beetle look like it had a nice white headliner though!

- James

yeah i think white is the right choice in this spot.