442xcar

84057 Black Porsche Kit Forum

I just received a Japanese Market kit with the bag this week. Picked it up from Jason, and the kit is number 01016. I've not been this interested in a new release in a very long time. I'm not going to build this one but have another US kit in the pipeline that will end up on the workbench. Thought I would post this thread to all the TC members who are steadily getting their kits in the post. We might get an idea of production numbers with member posts (i.e., Serial Numbers, With bag/Without, ect).

Some interesting things I've found about this kit;

1. YES, The body is nearly identical to the original 58001 (White, Green, Red, & Black). That means you can use your old metal body clips and mount the body on a vintage chassis!

2. Tamiya has changed the clear glass parts tree. The frames for the side windows are molded into the windows eliminating the small black frame pieces from an original 58001 kit.

3. Per Tamiya's original statement that the Polycarb body was for running, and the Polystyrene body was for display, that is definately the case. The body clips in the new kit mount into the body rocker area per an original body. This new system is more of a "quick clamp" type for easy installation and removal. Definately not a secure mount for a runner. The Black Porsche manual in the new kit clearly states that the Polystyrene body is designed for display only.

4. The decal sheet is very similar to the original decals of the 1978 Black Porsche.

5. Tamiya has redesigned the door mounting for the new Black Body. Looks more secure than the old plastic sheet reinforced system in the old kits. Once built, you wont see the difference on the shelf.

As members get their new kits, look them over and let us know what you find. As for me, I've got a vintage 58001 chassis that is waiting for a shinny new Black Body. Life is good!!!!!!!!

I went through my hobbyroom and the trades here and eBay trawling for brand new shiny 934 chassis over the last 4 months just because I was sure, so long as we had catch pins, we would be able to fit them to the new issue body set. I managed to come up with 5 in all. Snagged another yesterday.

Thanks for the tips by the way :-)

Kind regards, Paul.

Great post hopefully this will grow and grow as more members who own both can post the details.

I went through my hobbyroom and the trades here and eBay trawling for brand new shiny 934 chassis over the last 4 months just because I was sure, so long as we had catch pins, we would be able to fit them to the new issue body set. I managed to come up with 5 in all. Snagged another yesterday.

Thanks for the tips by the way :-)

Kind regards, Paul.

Thanks Paul. I went on the hunch that since Tamiya would be using existing molds for the tribute kit, the body parts would basically be the same. The hunch was right. Got lucky and found a good chassis off ebay, so I'll be building a vintage tribute also. I guess old chassis, wheels, and body clips will be a tough find from here onward. Enjoy your new kits and let us know what your observation reveal.

Tim D.....

Can we use this post for people to post the highest serial number kit so we can determine how many were made?

The highest I have seen so far was larbut's 01007. (James Bond Edition!)

Regards,

Luke Jenner

Maybe we should create a SIG for it?

I can't as mine is in the post but it might be good idea, and we could tell more about the numbers.

Jerome

Really pushed for time, just got 698 w/bag japanese version

Got caught in customs argghh but another excellent delvery from RCChamp top marks.

:lol: Hedge, The only cure for the Taxman blues is to cancel the rest of your vacation and build it.

Just a thought, someone out there will have the black Porsche number #934!

Out of 10 000 That's going to be the most wanted :lol:

Can't wait to see those built!

I wonder who'll be first into the showrooms with a built example of this re-re ?

Mine should arrive next week. It'll stay NIB for about 45 seconds :)

Can't wait to see those built!

I wonder who'll be first into the showrooms with a built example of this re-re ?

Mine should arrive next week. It'll stay NIB for about 45 seconds :P

I'm sure that a few will be on the workbenches this weekend :)

Mine will stay in the box for a while longer as I'm in the middle of a house move so just don't have the facilities to hand.

I have kit number 01039, a Japan-sourced kit that does include the bag.

Andy

That Ltd numbered sign that people are taking photos of ,is that metal plate part of the car ?? Remembering years ago nearly loosing my eyes after staring for hours at a Lauterbacher Ltd Edition chassie where all parts on the car were numbered. It had a price equal to a small nations budget and surely most of them ended up as shelfers.

This has probably been asked before ..But ohh well here I go .

What is the base price for this kit roughly I have searched the bay looking for this kit and cant find any .

Thanks in advance :)

This has probably been asked before ..But ohh well here I go .

What is the base price for this kit roughly I have searched the bay looking for this kit and cant find any .

Thanks in advance :)

Base retail price without adding a premium on top should be around US$150 or 15000 yen

Base retail price without adding a premium on top should be around US$150 or 15000 yen

Thanks RA1028 much appreciated .

That seems to be a very descent price might have to buy one I think :)

That Ltd numbered sign that people are taking photos of ,is that metal plate part of the car ?? Remembering years ago nearly loosing my eyes after staring for hours at a Lauterbacher Ltd Edition chassie where all parts on the car were numbered. It had a price equal to a small nations budget and surely most of them ended up as shelfers.

Nope, the Ltd Edition plate is actually stuck onto an inner part of the box. As far as I know the number does not feature on any of the car parts.

Nope, the Ltd Edition plate is actually stuck onto an inner part of the box. As far as I know the number does not feature on any of the car parts.

The only serial number is on the tag. No other part of the kit has a number on it. Prices for a kit without the bag here in the US are running around $175.00.

Now that TC is getting a fair number of kits on the site, it will be interesting to see some New Builds.......

Thanks RA1028 much appreciated .

That seems to be a very descent price might have to buy one I think :)

Not sure what is meant by base price here, but the RRP listed on the box is 25,000 Yen. That's about 263 USD or GBP 159 in today's currency.

Obviously the authorised retailers get it at a much lower rate than that ... so maybe RA1028 is correct about the sub 200 pricing being the "cost" to retailers.

One NIB 84057 kit now sold for USD 500 on ebay !

Item number 220444119514

-Lars

Hehe, that's nearly triple the RRP :)

I guess some people have more money than sense......

Item number 220444119514

-Lars

The poor bloke who's going to pay that for this...if he knew...

By the way mine is available for a Zillion Pounds if anybody's interested :)

Free shipping for TCers !

Item number 220444119514

-Lars

I was watching that one too Lars. Looks like he still has the twin that came in the case also. For a Japanese market kit with the bag, thats got to be a record. I just ordered another US kit for under $200.00 shipped.

Today I got my second Black Porsche from Switzerland with number 564.

Many thanks for the excellent deal to Jason who sold me the other one with number 1006.

Life is good :(

Where can you get these from? Can anyone help me get one?

I'm in Australia.

- James