Dirt-540

Teu-101bk Esc Bleeping Mad!

Got a TEU-101BK ESC but no matter what I do when trying to set it up it just bleeps constantly with its light flashing at the same time. Have disconnected the motor and the bleeping stops but the light still flashes the same, up to this point I just cant get it to work, the only thing it does is bleeps and flashes. Ive tried it with new recievers and new motors but still no luck. Im wondering if I can retsore its factory setting? I got it off my mate but hes going through a bad time at the moment so I cant really talk to him about it. Any info at all would be great and most appreciated.

Cheers guys and gals

James

Got a TEU-101BK ESC but no matter what I do when trying to set it up it just bleeps constantly with its light flashing at the same time. Have disconnected the motor and the bleeping stops but the light still flashes the same, up to this point I just cant get it to work, the only thing it does is bleeps and flashes. Ive tried it with new recievers and new motors but still no luck. Im wondering if I can retsore its factory setting? I got it off my mate but hes going through a bad time at the moment so I cant really talk to him about it. Any info at all would be great and most appreciated.

Cheers guys and gals

James

The reason the beeping stops when the motor is unplugged is that it is actually the motor itself that beeps. The ESC turns the motor into a speaker to produce that error tone. The beeping you are describing is the same as if you turn your car on without the radio being on. I found that the only time I had a beeping ESC is because my radio wasn't on, or the wire going from ESC to receiver had a loose connection on the receiver pins. Check your batteries in your radio, and any potential mixup in freq or possibly installing the Tx/Rx crystals in the wrong components. So long as everything there is matching, check to ensure the wires going into the black plastic plug on your ESC to Receiver connection are getting a firm grip on the receiver's pins. :(

Hope that helped!

The TEU-101BK ESC has 2 connectors that go to the receiver. Red 2 pin plug to the BATT and a grey 3 pin plug that connects to the Ch2. The beeping is an indication that the ESC does not have a signal from the transmitter.

You need to have the motor disconnected to run the setup which will set the end points for the ESC and match them to the radio gear.

Like Raelyn suggested, check the 2 xtals are the same frequency, the TX is in the transmitter and the RX is in the receiver (printed on the side of the crystals). Does the steering servo work?

Thanks guys for your help. When I get chance I will go through the whole set up again and check all connections along with everything else you guys have mentioned. Ive dumped it back on the shelf in the meantime as its been driving me nuts. Bought it about 6 months ago, gave it a full strip clean and rebuild with much attention, all new electrics etc. I fitted it with a cheap Annsman motor thinking it'll go like a bullet but the motor gave me lots fo trouble so I put Tamiya brand stuff in it to be safe and sure but it still isnt runnable. Very frustrating as I got it to run this summer as i retired my old battered original King Blackfoot after doing a restore custom job on it. Hopefully though your ideas will breath new life in to it. Once its up and ready to run its going to be in for one tough life just like my original KBF!

Cheers for your time guys :(

James

Thanks guys for your help. When I get chance I will go through the whole set up again and check all connections along with everything else you guys have mentioned. Ive dumped it back on the shelf in the meantime as its been driving me nuts. Bought it about 6 months ago, gave it a full strip clean and rebuild with much attention, all new electrics etc. I fitted it with a cheap Annsman motor thinking it'll go like a bullet but the motor gave me lots fo trouble so I put Tamiya brand stuff in it to be safe and sure but it still isnt runnable. Very frustrating as I got it to run this summer as i retired my old battered original King Blackfoot after doing a restore custom job on it. Hopefully though your ideas will breath new life in to it. Once its up and ready to run its going to be in for one tough life just like my original KBF!

Cheers for your time guys :P

James

Just to add to this thread, I recently had the same 'bleeping' sound from my TEU-101BK but mine was correctly setup and I was running it in the park when said bleeping began. Spoke to the shop where I bought the kit (Hotshot re-issue + Acoms Techniplus pkg) and they told me to unlpug everything and use the receiver battery box in the pkg to check that the receiver was working properly.

Bleeping meant that there was no signal being sent from transmitter, was what I was told but how that could happen with new batteries in the transmitter and a fully charged 6 cell is beyond me, but steering servo also was not responding. I thought I had fried my motor or esc or receiver, but bleeping esc/motor meant that something was alive. Anyway, I unpulgged everything and used the battery compartment with 4 x AA and hey presto servos now respond so put humpty dumpty back together again and everything was fine.

On closer inspection of the transmitter battery compartment, it seems as if it's possible for the + side of the batteries to not be in contact with the very thin contact post and hence the circuit isn't completed. It happened again this evening when I switched on the transmitter, then the exc, then the bleeping started again.

However, there were no signal lights on the transmitter and the battereis are not dead. So I wriggled them around to make sure they are all in contact and hey presto, bleeping is gone.

So it seems that Tamiya have manufactured a nice piece of kit in the esc, but the Acoms transmitter has contact points that the batteries are prone to slip off from.

If anyone else has bleeping issues, perhaps this is worth trying out.

Azkuma

This fault may be due to some dirt getting inside the ESC, and I got a unit going again by cleaning it out. This almost certainly voids the guarantee, so it's only worth doing if all else has failed. Disconnect the ESC completely and remove if entirely from the vehicle. You may want to detach the switch from the vehicle too for easier working.

Open the case carefully. There are two clips holding the plastic cover together on each side, you need to push in both clips on one side then pull the case apart. Be very careful to avoid damaging any components or wires.

Look for dirt on the circuit board. If there is any, clean it off with an electrical cleaning spray (I used WD-40) and maybe a gentle plastic brush. Likewise clean out any dirt from the case. When it is all dried off (very important if the cleaner if flammable!), carefully reassemble, re-attach the wires, etc, re-mount on the vehicle, and see if it works.

Sorry if this fix doesn't work for you, but if you have a non-functioning unit, you've lost nothing.

PS The hole for the push button seems vulnerable to dirt ingress. The microchip that it the 'brain' of the unit is right underneath the switch on the other side of the circuit board. The unit I fixed by cleaning had a lot of dirt on the microchip and on the case just beneath it, picked up by running the model in show on the street. I have covered this hole with a little piece of gaffer tape. Don't be tempted to cover the slots in the case for the heat-sink, this could lead to over-heating of the MCU.

Azkuma - you are correct. I had 2 brand new Acoms Techniplus transmitters with this problem. Well, one had exactly the same problem and the other had a slightly different problem but the result was the same - beeping ESC.

Sent them both back and the 3rd one was fine. This is a problem with Acoms kit not Tamiya ESCs. Acoms Techniplus transmitters are made very cheaply and it appears faulty ones get through the QC checks.

Since we're on the topic of the TEU-101Bk, I hope you guys dont mind my query. My friends teu doesnt seem to finish the program cycle, meaning, after programming the forward throttle (double blink from the LED), I go to reverse, the unit doesnt respond, the LED should switch off after programming reverse right? but it still keeps on double blinking. Any ideas what could be wrong? Is it due for the trash bin already?

Thanks guys.

Since we're on the topic of the TEU-101Bk, I hope you guys dont mind my query. My friends teu doesnt seem to finish the program cycle, meaning, after programming the forward throttle (double blink from the LED), I go to reverse, the unit doesnt respond, the LED should switch off after programming reverse right? but it still keeps on double blinking. Any ideas what could be wrong? Is it due for the trash bin already?

Thanks guys.

To setup this ESC is very easy.

Turn it all on (motor disconnected). Centre your throttle trim on the transmitter.

Press and hold the ESC setup button for about 2 sec, it will start a single blink sequence. (sets centre point)

Hold full throttle and press the setup button again, it will now start a double blink sequence. (sets throttle end point)

Now hold full reverse and press the setup button one more time, the blinking LED will stop. (sets brake/reverse end point)

Turn it all off, reconnect the motor, and now it's right for use.

If you have the throttle pulled on the transmitter as you press the setup button it will enable/disable reverse.

The only time you should need to run the setup again is if changing receiver or transmitter.

To setup this ESC is very easy.

Turn it all on (motor disconnected). Centre your throttle trim on the transmitter.

Press and hold the ESC setup button for about 2 sec, it will start a single blink sequence. (sets centre point)

Hold full throttle and press the setup button again, it will now start a double blink sequence. (sets throttle end point)

Now hold full reverse and press the setup button one more time, the blinking LED will stop. (sets brake/reverse end point)

Turn it all off, reconnect the motor, and now it's right for use.

If you have the throttle pulled on the transmitter as you press the setup button it will enable/disable reverse.

The only time you should need to run the setup again is if changing receiver or transmitter.

Thanks for the reply TA Mark. Yes setup is very easy and I've done this over and over to my other TEu's with no problem at all, its with this one that I'm puzzled with. Its when I'm at full reverse setup, and ive pressed the button already, the blinking does not stop, therefore setup was not completed. I tried using another transmitter and the setup completed, but there was no reverse at all afterwards, and i'm quite sure that I didnt set it up just for brakes only.

I took apart the TEU and it didnt seem to have any major dirt inside. I cleaned it up but still has the same problem...

Any clue as to why this is happening?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply TA Mark. Yes setup is very easy and I've done this over and over to my other TEu's with no problem at all, its with this one that I'm puzzled with. Its when I'm at full reverse setup, and ive pressed the button already, the blinking does not stop, therefore setup was not completed. I tried using another transmitter and the setup completed, but there was no reverse at all afterwards, and i'm quite sure that I didnt set it up just for brakes only.

I took apart the TEU and it didnt seem to have any major dirt inside. I cleaned it up but still has the same problem...

Any clue as to why this is happening?

Thanks again.

When you drive do you have brakes and no reverse or that side of the channel has nothing at all? Brakes with no reverse it must be disabled. I've accidently done it myself before.

The transmitter that won't setup is set on 50/50 throttle and not 70/30? Not that this has ever made a difference for me, the ESC will accept any position of the trigger as the end point once you press the setup button to confirm position.