Cinnamon

Lipo For Dummies ?

Hello !

I haven´t gotten in so deep on LIPO technology and I have a couple of questions.

Is it worth all the fuss for me as beeing a "sunday driver" ?? I don´t race or anything.

Does it mean I have to get new ESC:s , chargers , connectors and what not ??

Is it sometimes a bit dangerous ?? Have read about cars and stuff caught fire.

Is there a "LIPO:s for dummies " ??

Cheers ! Olle :D

I'll try to answer your questions as asked..

1. YES.. Since changing over to LiPo I hardly ever use my NiCd and NiMh packs anymore...

2. I use the same ESC's as I did with my NiCd and NiMh packs, but I did install a low voltage cutout (such as the Novak Smartstop) on my older ESC's that didnt have ont built in.. (A low voltage cutout is required as LiPo's do not like to be discharged below 3V / cell (6V for a 7.4V pack) and doing so can damage the battery..) You will need a charger capeable of charging LiPo batteries... I would recomend buying a balance charger, and there are quite a few "cheaper" units available (search Imax on ebay)...

3. Personally I have seen more NiMh batteries explode than I have LiPo's... All of my LiPos are hard case, as I dont quite trust the soft case ones.. Keep in mind that most (if not all) of those videos found on youtube, the packs are connected direct to a car battery or power supply without using a charger...

4. Not that I'm aware of..

Lipo runs faster and longer than any nimh pack can. Nimh's higher internal resistance creates much more heat which makes it much less effecient. It's definitely woth the fuss.

You can also get yourself a low-voltage alarm that simply plugs into the lipos balance tap. This way you don't have to buy and hardwire a separate cutoff into each car. The alarm is supposed to be very loud, so no worries about over discharging your packs...

For a charger, I suggest the Hyperion EOS0606i. It's AC/DC and works euro voltage as well and charges 2-cell lipo at up to 6amps. It has a built in balancer so you know each cell stays within it's proper voltage range.

Depending on what lipo you buy, you may need to get a different balance board. The one that comes with this charger is for Hyperion style balance taps. Most batteries use what's called JST-HX, so that's an additional $5-6. Also some batteries have built in 4mm banana jacks, and for those style of batteries you need LBA-10-CAR adapter.

Good luck!

Lipo runs faster and longer than any nimh pack can. Nimh's higher internal resistance creates much more heat which makes it much less effecient. It's definitely woth the fuss.

You can also get yourself a low-voltage alarm that simply plugs into the lipos balance tap. This way you don't have to buy and hardwire a separate cutoff into each car. The alarm is supposed to be very loud, so no worries about over discharging your packs...

For a charger, I suggest the Hyperion EOS0606i. It's AC/DC and works euro voltage as well and charges 2-cell lipo at up to 6amps. It has a built in balancer so you know each cell stays within it's proper voltage range.

Depending on what lipo you buy, you may need to get a different balance board. The one that comes with this charger is for Hyperion style balance taps. Most batteries use what's called JST-HX, so that's an additional $5-6. Also some batteries have built in 4mm banana jacks, and for those style of batteries you need LBA-10-CAR adapter.

Good luck!

So here is what I never understood. Why do you need a new ESC to support LiPO? Or is it that BL motors require it and I am just confusing the two technologies? My mind is still stuck in the NiMH and Brushed times. Forgive me lol. Would my Tekin G11 Pro support a LiPO pack, or would I have to invest in a new ESC to use a LiPO pack? While I am looking to go LiPO/BL I would like to take it one step at a time if i can. I would love the extended drive time of LiPO, but right now replacing all my elctronics on my models would not be possible.

So here is what I never understood. Why do you need a new ESC to support LiPO? Or is it that BL motors require it and I am just confusing the two technologies? My mind is still stuck in the NiMH and Brushed times. Forgive me lol. Would my Tekin G11 Pro support a LiPO pack, or would I have to invest in a new ESC to use a LiPO pack? While I am looking to go LiPO/BL I would like to take it one step at a time if i can. I would love the extended drive time of LiPO, but right now replacing all my elctronics on my models would not be possible.

As stated above, you can run Lipo with an older ESC, you just need either a low voltage cutoff or a low voltage alarm to stop the chance of overdischarging the Lipo packs.

If you go brushless, you need a brushless ESC. You may be confusing Lipo and Brushless with needing a new ESC.

Lipo+brushless is the ultimate in battery run time, power, and efficiency.

As stated above, you can run Lipo with an older ESC, you just need either a low voltage cutoff or a low voltage alarm to stop the chance of overdischarging the Lipo packs.

If you go brushless, you need a brushless ESC. You may be confusing Lipo and Brushless with needing a new ESC.

Lipo+brushless is the ultimate in battery run time, power, and efficiency.

So something like this would work? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXPGM8&P=ML

What connects to what on that device? Sorry for the noob questions, I am trying to grasp on to the new technology B)

So something like this would work? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXPGM8&P=ML

What connects to what on that device? Sorry for the noob questions, I am trying to grasp on to the new technology B)

Yes that works. You must wire that directly into your car's ESC though for it to function. That means you must buy one for every car your going to use lipo in...

Personally I would be more interested in a simply tiny alarm that plugs into the battery itself. This way you can use it in EVERY car that allows access to the balance tap on the battery. Here is a lipo alarm shown plugged into the balance taps on a typical 2-cell lipo battery. Light is green (2 lights for 2 cell) when voltage is good. Loud noise and red lights come on when voltage drops too low...

lipo_alarm.jpg

You must wire that directly into your car's ESC though for it to function. That means you must buy one for every car your going to use lipo in...

Not necessarily, although there are 2 more leads to connect versus the alarm...

This is what I am doing:

Connect ESC to Smart Stop (servo leads)

Connect Smart Stop to receiver (servo leads)

Connect battery lead to pack (2 x 4mm jack into pack - Traxxas connector at other end - Smart Stop wired in-line)

Connect battery lead to ESC (Traxxas end to ESC - 2 x 4mm jack already in pack - Smart Stop wired in line)

Press Smart Stop button and set-up the unit (very easy)

I much prefer the warning system on this over an alarm. If you fail to notice the alarm then you can kill a pack - you can't with the Smart Stop as you get warning (plus time to return the car to you) and then a definite cut-off when it gets too low to be safe.

Cheers

Steve

From what I hear, it's impossible to miss the alarm... :)

From what I hear, it's impossible to miss the alarm... :)

Sorry mate, didn't mean any sort of put down towards your opinion, just giving advice as to connections for using 1 smart stop unit in multiple cars really.

I would expect it to be bleeding loud as it's what most of the flyers use these, but I'm a scaredy cat. :P Would love to see / hear one in action at a meet as it is definitely a cheaper way forwards.

My main worry was that at our meets there is so much going on (especially the Nitros and one of the guys is buying a Baja 5B) that it would still concern me as to whether I would hear it in time. That plus the fact that I am slightly hard of hearing doesn't help (mainly high frequency). :)

I am moving to 2.4ghz, but not got the funds to do every car, so plan to swap the receiver between vehicles. For me it then makes no difference between fitting the lot in 1 go / package, and just fitting a receiver as it's the same amount of plugs to do (Receiver to ESC and connect battery). Even easier if I get all ESCs calibrated identically as it will mean no set-up on the Smart Stop when changing cars...

I have to admit that I headed the Novak Smart Stop way from reading information (rather than personal experience) that high drain applications can give a very short time between voltage drop and being too low on lipo packs. No plans to test it myself though as my batteries are too precious. :lol:

Off to test my new soldering iron out by fitting TRX plugs to my ESCs now :)

All the best

Steve

Yes that works. You must wire that directly into your car's ESC though for it to function. That means you must buy one for every car your going to use lipo in...

Personally I would be more interested in a simply tiny alarm that plugs into the battery itself. This way you can use it in EVERY car that allows access to the balance tap on the battery. Here is a lipo alarm shown plugged into the balance taps on a typical 2-cell lipo battery. Light is green (2 lights for 2 cell) when voltage is good. Loud noise and red lights come on when voltage drops too low...

lipo_alarm.jpg

Where can I buy these? I would rather have an alarm anyhow. Are those Tamiya plugs on that battery? I can't say I've seen a Tamiya plug on a LiPO before.

Type "Lipo alarm" into eBay. Then sort by "Lowest first + shipping". Don't forget to set the search to "worldwide" and "include store inventory". Buy-it-now's can be had from $4.20 (free shipping). These particular ones work with 2 & 3 cell lipos that have a JST-XH 3 or 4-pin balance tap (shown)... :)

Type "Lipo alarm" into eBay. Then sort by "Lowest first + shipping". Don't forget to set the search to "worldwide" and "include store inventory". Buy-it-now's can be had from $4.20 (free shipping). These particular ones work with 2 & 3 cell lipos that have a JST-XH 3 or 4-pin balance tap (shown)... ;)

Thanks, I will order a couple for that price.

It looks like the plug that goes from the battery to the ESC is still a standard Tamiya plug? I thought LiPO used a different plug, or can I find some that use the standard plug that my NiMH batteries use to connect to my ESC?

Like this

jpm0191.JPG

Mostly lipo is sold with either Traxxas or Deans plugs, because the standard Tamiya plug isn't capable of carrying as much current as lipo delivers. A regular Tamiya plug will quickly melt and fuse together with any decent motor (even on Nimh).

It would be best to convert all your equipment to a more modern plug. At least the vehicles you plan on running lipo in. I hadn't mentioned this earlier because I had converted most everything to Deans long ago... ;)

Mostly lipo is sold with either Traxxas or Deans plugs, because the standard Tamiya plug isn't capable of carrying as much current as lipo delivers. A regular Tamiya plug will quickly melt and fuse together with any decent motor (even on Nimh).

It would be best to convert all your equipment to a more modern plug. At least the vehicles you plan on running lipo in. I hadn't mentioned this earlier because I had converted most everything to Deans long ago... :(

I converted my motor leads to Deans after I got tired of those silly Tamiya bullet plugs fusing themselves together. I have never had a battery lead do that though.

I converted my motor leads to Deans after I got tired of those silly Tamiya bullet plugs fusing themselves together. I have never had a battery lead do that though.

That's really odd, the battery plugs will melt WAY before the bullet connectors.

That's really odd, the battery plugs will melt WAY before the bullet connectors.

I've never had a battery plug melt on me, and this is after years of TCS races and just messing around. I have had many bullet plugs decide to become one though. I am an interesting one, I have raced TCS in Japan and the US, I race at local clubs, and I have been an avid RC'r since I was 10. Yet I cant solder worth a ******* LOL. One day I will sit down and properly learn how to solder, I have a great setup from a good friend in Japan but I lack in the skill department.

I've never had a battery plug melt on me, and this is after years of TCS races and just messing around. I have had many bullet plugs decide to become one though. I am an interesting one, I have raced TCS in Japan and the US, I race at local clubs, and I have been an avid RC'r since I was 10. Yet I cant solder worth a ******* LOL. One day I will sit down and properly learn how to solder, I have a great setup from a good friend in Japan but I lack in the skill department.

Funny post :) , Soldering is fun but you need a good iron...