Sign in to follow this  
casethejoint

84057 Black Porsche Build Thread

I started building this today. Got half the chassis done, and cut out the body parts from their trees and spend a good few hours carefully cleaning up the mould lines.

The body is a really brittle/hard plastic making it extremely easy to sand. 800 grit does a great job with the mould lines.

Should get around to priming it later....

Oh, sorry - pics are not working here. Will put in showroom.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=90541

This is number 00354.

I would like to see the pictures in the forums, so here is how you link to your own images in the showroom:

Your member number is 26801...

The following link will add your first image in your black Porsche showroom entry: (used space around the "IMG" tags to make it NOT work in the text below...)

[ img ]http://www.tamiyaclub.com/tc_userimages/26801/img26801_12072009150037_1.jpg[ /img ]

The part in bold is your image name found by Right clicking on your image and copying the last part starting with "img26801_ect". This should be changed for every picture you put up.

And this is the image :-) (spaces around "IMG" removed)

img26801_12072009150037_1.jpg

This howto is more or less a straight copy of info given by terry.SC HERE

-Lars

Thanks for the tip. I'll have a test.

Here's the body rubbed down with 800 Wet and Dry to remove some mould lines and get ready for primer. Not sure if I've got all the mould lines yet - need to dry built it again and see what's visible...

img26801_12072009150037_5.jpg

The manual suggests painting the grills matt black, but actually the bare plastic is a very nice *slightly* satin black (mostly matt) and look great, so I've decided not to paint them.

Yes, I noticed that on mine about the beautiful mat finish the plastic comes in.

Nice touch from Tamiya !

Jerome

I think most people here are really only interested in the hardshell, but for what it's worth I tackled the lexan shell of my 84057 first.

img26801_17072009163502_1.jpg

img26801_17072009163502_2.jpg

img26801_17072009163502_3.jpg

The hardshell pre-painting work is now done and I'm about to prime it.....

img26801_17072009163502_4.jpg

Primer is on. Happy with progress so far, and was definitely worth taking out those mould-lines. Front end looks fantastic - nice and smoooooooth :rolleyes:

img26801_17072009163502_6.jpg

img26801_17072009163502_5.jpg

Should get first coats of black on tomorrow, weather permitting and if the primer is hard enough to rub down (should be).

are you leaving the doors/bonnet/bootlid openable? or isn't it better to glue it all up before painting?

I find it easier to paint first, then put it all back together. Gets into all the gaps that way, without filling the gaps.

I'm sure there's more than one way to skin this cat though ;)

Got the first couple of coats of black on. Starting to look amazing. It's definitely worth the extra effort to paint this model - the "raw" plastic finish really isn't up to much.

5 coats of black, rubbed down in between each.

Leaving it for a week or so now to harden up then I'll give it a final rub down and coat of clear....

img26801_17072009163502_7.jpg

Great looking paint. Can't wait to see the clear coat (and decals?). IMHO Black Porsches should be Black, although there was a post today of a very good looking Red body. Keep the photos coming.............

Looking very nice indeed, lots of hard work gone into that already, keep it up.

Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry I've not been great at keeping this thread up to date. In the process of moving flat as I'm building it. At least now I have a week I can concentrate on the move while the paint hardens!

Great looking paint. Can't wait to see the clear coat (and decals?).

Paint came out really well - I'm extremely pleased. Photo's don't really do it justice, but I managed to get the final coat on quite wet and will absolute minimal orange peel (good preparation helps, but I think I got very lucky with the weather conditions also - in my experience this can make a difference. I had the perfect painting day). From here it's a light rub with 2000 grit to get it completely flat and the top coat should come out great.

Yes, will have decals. I'm actually doing a tribute to the original, so it will be bog standard old-skool box art (where the decals allow anyway, I haven't had a chance to look at them in detail yet).

Bringing this back from the dead...

Could anyone share some tips on how to mount this body on the chassis?

Put everything together and the hard body as well, but it doesn't sit or clip on properly at all. You could put it on the chassis (the correct chassis flaps/mounts were used as specified in the instruction book) but it will not stay on at all. You can lift off the body and leave the chassis on the ground. It's just not secure.

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!!

Very nice! How many times do you guys think that Tamiya has had to replace to mold for the 934 hard body?  Models. RC cars for the past 40 years!