tickz

Look What The Skip Fairy Brought Me!

I read a thread on here about finding old tamiyas in skips. Well, it was my go today......

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

it was in a skip on the building site I was working on!

The box was in the skip also but it was soggy!

IMG_0386.jpg

Anyone tell me anything about it?? is it work repairing for a bash??

Let me know what you think!

Good times!!

Awesome! Always worth repairing an old Tamiya - especially a nice complete one like that! Probably been chucked out because the diff has given up though - do a search for Nissan Kingcab and read up on how people get around the slippy-diff issue.

Saying that the rear tyres look like new so it could just be that someone didn't know how to set it up or it is just surplus to requirements

Well, its a Hilux Monster Racer, early from the early 90's I think.

Not massively sought after, but still hard enough to find. The body looks wrecked but I bet the chassis would make a great runner :)

nice find well worth fixing up for a basher wonder how tamiya s dont make it

Nice find - body doesn't look too beat up for a runner either - well worth getting it running - something you can use and enjoy knowing that you've saved its life!

The only half decent thing I've ever got out of a skip was a Dyson hoover - and that sucks! :)

Result, nice find!

Mymonsterbeetleisbroken is right, they are circa early 90's... in fact, here is the brochure page from the Tamiya radio control guide book at the time...

P1010819.jpg

P1010825.jpg

The book also lists all of the replacement part no's... (not sure if they're still valid though) if its not readable feel free to ask if you need any part no's.

P1010827.jpg

Cheers, Mike.

Cheers for that mike.

I dont make a habit of rooting through skips but it was right on top, it was in a secure and remote building site, it can only be one of the builders that have chucked some stuff from home/garage in. we all know how hard it is to get rid of rubbish now!

I have had a good look at it now and it looks like there has been a problem with the diff/gearbox and the drive shafts are gone (probably in that skip!)

IMG_0389.jpg

and some screws are missing

IMG_0390.jpg

Can I still get parts for this??

im sorry ...whats a skip?

i have never heard of that before...lol

Skip = Dumpster :)

gotcha,,,

if he would of said "dumpster diving"

i would of understood... :)

Cheers for that mike.

I dont make a habit of rooting through skips but it was right on top, it was in a secure and remote building site, it can only be one of the builders that have chucked some stuff from home/garage in. we all know how hard it is to get rid of rubbish now!

I have had a good look at it now and it looks like there has been a problem with the diff/gearbox and the drive shafts are gone (probably in that skip!)

and some screws are missing

Can I still get parts for this??

I've had a mooch in the Tamiya book and believe it or not the drive shafts or the screw bags aren't listed as a spare part........ :) Sorry pal!!

But in reading I am sure someone will be able to enlighten you as to what parts will be needed to get it sorted.

Be sure to post up some pics once she's all fixed up!

Drive shafts are part number 4135034 - do an eBay search for that number and you'll find Tony's Tamiya Parts has them for sale.

Looks like you're missing the gearbox joints from the gearbox too - no surprise as they are only held in place by the driveshafts. Find them on eBay again. Left side is part number 2595072 and right side 2595073

Screws depends on what screws you need - ask Tony nicely when you buy the driveshafts and see if he can help you out.

The manual for this car where I got this information from can be found here on Tamiyaclub <MANUAL>

I'm new here, but this is a great find. Almost any vintage Tamiya is worth repairing to at least runner status.

That is quite the find! Those yellow shocks bring back memories of my Grasshopper, I had some that looked just like them on it. They were oil filled and replaced the non oil filled that came with my kit.

Truely one person's garbage is another person's treasure. Now throw it back into the skip and it be a treasure to someone else. :)

Whoa nice find! My workmate found a Nikko Boat (water jet?) NIB at the dump the other day, but that has nothing on this find though! :)

Great find. It's worth pulling the box out if you can. I found some 1940's rupert the bear annuals soaking wet lying on floor, left them on the radiator for afew hours and they were as good as new(well sort of). Funny thing is, the night before I found a schumacher wildcat at a rubbish tip I was reading about rc's people had found thrown out! But some of you will know of my habbit of finding things thrown out.....

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=39097&hl=

Drive shafts are part number 4135034 - do an eBay search for that number and you'll find Tony's Tamiya Parts has them for sale.

Looks like you're missing the gearbox joints from the gearbox too - no surprise as they are only held in place by the driveshafts. Find them on eBay again. Left side is part number 2595072 and right side 2595073

Screws depends on what screws you need - ask Tony nicely when you buy the driveshafts and see if he can help you out.

The manual for this car where I got this information from can be found here on Tamiyaclub <MANUAL>

Thanks eddy.

Ive had a root around the spare stuff box and found a superstock and have esc spare. I have ordered the above parts from tonys on ebay and downloaded the manual! I will strip and clean the gearbox, and give it a run. Just for the geekness of it I will take a video and post it up when im done!

Looking at the body it appears that its been mangled by a dog! so might try and track down a spare body, if any one can find one on the net,point me in that direction please!?

Also i was toying with the idea of putting the 13t ezrun I have in my Dark Impact, into it, and buying the 9T ezrun for the DI?? Anyone think that may be a bad idea??

:)

Cheers

Dave

Keep us updated with your progress. Be great to see the car brought back from the dead. Tamiyaclub is brilliant for these sort of things. The online manuals are superb and the community are great at giving advice ( and sometimes parts too ) to help others out. It's a real pleasure to be part of this community of RC addicts!

Richard

Looking at the body it appears that its been mangled by a dog! so might try and track down a spare body, if any one can find one on the net,point me in that direction please!?

Bodys for these babies are like gold dust! There's no regular supply of them but they crop up occasionally on ebay and the usual vintage parts stores (though you'll be behind me in the fight for it). King Cab bodies are a direct fit (with adjustment to the mounting holes) but are equally hard to come by.

A good replacement is the lexan Brat body. The wheel base of the biody is longer than a lot of bodies and so looks good on the chassis.

Having said all that thought if you're thinking of going brushless with this then just keep the body you have got on there, it's kinda got the brushless look already :)

tickz, I have a long history with the Monster Racer trucks. PM me for questions and suggestions :)

Found a Hi-Lux replacement body and a King Cab body on ebay, seller ships world wide:

Hi-Lux body:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TAMIYA-TOYOTA-PRERUNNE...4634.m332.l1262

King Cab body (need different body posts):

http://cgi.ebay.com/TAMIYA-NISSAN-KING-CAB...%3A1%7C294%3A50