Wandy

Heading For Your Forties?

Well the big day has arrived today and, as expected, it's no big deal. I haven't grown two heads and I'm still doing & enjoying the same things and can only see many more years of the same. :)

Apart from the fact that my indulgence in this hobby is getting ever more intense, of course....

So to celebrate 40 years on the planet the postman brought me this little package below, right on cue, this morning. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it eh?

DSC_0725.jpg

Happy Birthday! Did you get a flashback to the "younger feeling" when you touched the Avante? ;)

Really enjoyed reading your post Wandy. Twistys got it right though, its all in your mind! I'm losing my hair, I now wear glasses, I gots aches and pains I never had a couple of years back and the old arthritis is establishing itself very well. ;)

Another 3 years and I'll be 40, I just dont care though, I excersize by going swimming which is helping keep my body youngish and I regularly use Tamiya to keep my mind young. :)

Same here, my threshold is 10km on a bike trail before the joints start complaining. Need glasses now whenever the hand is fixing Tamiya models. The days are long gone when we can zoom in and out of the model without glasses! :)

As long as we keep ourself busy with Tamiya models or any other models for that matter, we will always be able to pick a 12mm screw from an assorted pile by one look.

u need to LOOK? :) that means taking eyes off the TV...

practise by pouring every screwbag from kit into same tub & picking out right screw by feel ;)

u need to LOOK? :) that means taking eyes off the TV...

practise by pouring every screwbag from kit into same tub & picking out right screw by feel :)

;)

I'm not sure I know anymore what people mean by "growing up." I'm married, own a house, have worked in the same career for 13 years, own 3 vehicles outright, pay my bills on time... in what way am I not grown up? Because I play with little toy cars? Or have a sports car? Or still like to play guitar really loudly once in a while? We don't have kids, and don't want them, and yeah, we go out to the bar about once a week. But I feel more responsible and more in control of my life than a lot of people even older than me. I feel, for lack of a better term, wiser.

I still spend a lot of money on my hobbies, and that's not likely to change. But I'm much more selective about what I spend money on. And I know I spend less on RC, guitars, and Miata parts combined than a lot of my friends spend on a monthly payment for a new car. Or on gigantic plasma TVs and "home theaters." I cherish my time out in my workshop, and I think spending time with tools in my hands keeps me sharper, both physically and mentally, than staring at a huge TV screen would. Forget 40. We'll see who's still able to get around and think clearly and take care of their own stuff at 70. I'm betting it will be us guys who "still play with toys", not the "grown-up" couch potatoes.

+1

I am rather far from 40 at this time, but these are great words to remember.

I guess some of us are very close to the same age then, as I just turned 39 on the 7th.

I'm not sure I know anymore what people mean by "growing up." I'm married, own a house, have worked in the same career for 13 years, own 3 vehicles outright, pay my bills on time... in what way am I not grown up? Because I play with little toy cars? Or have a sports car? Or still like to play guitar really loudly once in a while? We don't have kids, and don't want them, and yeah, we go out to the bar about once a week. But I feel more responsible and more in control of my life than a lot of people even older than me. I feel, for lack of a better term, wiser.

I still spend a lot of money on my hobbies, and that's not likely to change. But I'm much more selective about what I spend money on. And I know I spend less on RC, guitars, and Miata parts combined than a lot of my friends spend on a monthly payment for a new car. Or on gigantic plasma TVs and "home theaters." I cherish my time out in my workshop, and I think spending time with tools in my hands keeps me sharper, both physically and mentally, than staring at a huge TV screen would. Forget 40. We'll see who's still able to get around and think clearly and take care of their own stuff at 70. I'm betting it will be us guys who "still play with toys", not the "grown-up" couch potatoes.

Great post. I agree with everything you say.

Happy Birthday! Did you get a flashback to the "younger feeling" when you touched the Avante? ;)

No, since I wasn't fortunate to own one back in the day. :)

Happy Birthday Wandy - I'm 2 years past forty now and still playing with my 'toys'. 8-)

Don't get them out as much as I used to (pesky kids), but it makes it sweeter when I do...

Happy Birthday Wandy (and Bromvw on Friday). Hope you enjoyed your day and your nice new toy :)

Growing old is compulsory... growing up is optional :o

Hey, I recognise that line from somewhere!

I was 43 a week or so ago, my gifts included RC parts and a Nerf gun! Age is just a number, no need to feel or be any different. In fact as we get older I think we're more secure and more able to be true to ourselves and if that includes 'toy' cars, great! To me a birthday is just an excuse for a party.

cheers,

Rob

Belated Happy Birthday!

What a great thread.... Yeah, a lot of us are around the same age. I'm 42 right now and am married, have mortgage, own 3 cars, have same career for 20 years, and am an adult kid I guess.

My Tamiya obsession has grown even more since I turned 40. I have the funds to buy and play, and while sometimes I do feel a bit strange being the 40+ yr old on the street driving toy cars... the older I get, the less I care what people think.

I'm finally understanding why (as a kid) I used to see old guys with model trains, or painting figurines... it keeps us young and is a lot of fun!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Thanks guys. I have a feeling I will be bumping this thread again with similar comments in 10 year's time. :lol:

36 for me !

Mesmerized by Tamiya catalogs and radio control car action magazines around 12 years old. Had no money as a family growing up but scrounged enough for a Hornet kit !

Lost interest as life moved along, then about 8 years ago picked up an RCCA and Traxxas E-Maxx when I "popped into" a hobby shop on a whim in Ottawa.

Well, that reignited the passion and I scooped up my favourite NIB's "from the day" from Ebay and here.

Now that I have the means, I plan on more purchases but will scale my collection back a bit and focus on some specific models now.

This really is the best time to be into r/c with the new technology and re-releases :) !!!!

36 for me !

Mesmerized by Tamiya catalogs and radio control car action magazines around 12 years old. Had no money as a family growing up but scrounged enough for a Hornet kit !

Lost interest as life moved along, then about 8 years ago picked up an RCCA and Traxxas E-Maxx when I "popped into" a hobby shop on a whim in Ottawa.

Well, that reignited the passion and I scooped up my favourite NIB's "from the day" from Ebay and here.

Now that I have the means, I plan on more purchases but will scale my collection back a bit and focus on some specific models now.

This really is the best time to be into r/c with the new technology and re-releases ;) !!!!

Hey - not sure if you noticed - Happy 2000th post! (and congrats on your '5 box' rating, lol) :)

Hey - not sure if you noticed - Happy 2000th post! (and congrats on your '5 box' rating, lol) :)

Sweet ! There will be many more by the the time the big 40 arrives ! Some good builds too ;).

Reading Wandy's post brought a lot of how i feel to the surface. Im 37, and my first RC was the Hotshot, my first real RC that is. I didnt do the Tamiya kids on the block for long, i did discover racing, and other brands of chassis, but, remember ALL of them, even the bad ones. Raced buggies for a while, then tourers, raced on and off for over 20 years. Still would if i could find an indoor club, im old now and the cold blows my hands to bits.

I feel, we kids of the 80's are a different breed IMO, were VERY nostalgic, and ive never really grown out of it. Today, i still own a few cars, i recently sold on my TRF501 brushless toy though, didnt have that vibe for me lol.

Spend a lot of my time building studio scale StarWars models today...take a lot of my hours, and a lot of my earnings, but its worth it.

Do have kids, and i have tried to school them in the ways of the Tamiya.......it works for a while, but they just dont seem to get it....and want to go back to the Nintendo, or play COD.....yeah, we were a rare breed in the 80's.

lee

Spend a lot of my time building studio scale StarWars models today...take a lot of my hours, and a lot of my earnings, but its worth it.

Do have kids, and i have tried to school them in the ways of the Tamiya.......it works for a while, but they just dont seem to get it....and want to go back to the Nintendo, or play COD.....yeah, we were a rare breed in the 80's.

lee

Are we related ? I've been getting into Lego Star Wars and my step kids could care less about building and running an awesome r/c !

Are we related ? I've been getting into Lego Star Wars and my step kids could care less about building and running an awesome r/c !

Heh, its a small world, have a few Lego,s here, but, there goes that 80s kid thing again, you just reminded me of the Technic Heli and Tractor i had lol.

I cant go there, ive vintage RC to buy before the vintage Lego gets a lookin lol.

Mind you, i will say our boys love lego, to my dismay, as its bloomin expensive in this day and age, and now im starting to sound like my Father, so ill stop there!

Bests.... Lee

I feel, we kids of the 80's are a different breed IMO, were VERY nostalgic, and ive never really grown out of it.

You may well be right with that mate, I just wonder what the reason might be for it? I think it could be down to the fact that we grew up when the world was changing fast and there was a lot of optimism around. Technology in all fields was developing rapidly and there was a feeling that anything was possible. Communism & the Berlin Wall came crashing down in Germany & the cold war with Russia finally came to an end. The modern media was born, music changed with MTV and we were witness to the Star Wars saga changing the entire movie industry. All of that optimism has become etched into our spirit and it is not something we are going to let go of lightly, even now in an era of austerity & cynicism. Infact the current gloom may be reinforcing our desire to live our lives like it is still the 1980s, allowing our leisure to get us through any tough times that we may be enduring. :rolleyes:

Well 43 today and I've just come back from thrashing my TNX in the snow

Even now there's nothing to beat snow induced bashing

I will however admit to wearing a wooly hat,something I never did as a kid as I hated wearing hats (lack of upper thatch means I need a hat now,or my brain freezes!!)

And I'll also admit to sitting in the car for 10 minutes as it's **** cold!

But the TNX was great,nice fresh snow meant it was just a big cloud of snow as it drove along and 4 wheel drifts were awesome!!

Best thing is when I got home the Mrs said to me 'You're like a big kid!!' must've been the big grin on my face :D

You may well be right with that mate, I just wonder what the reason might be for it? I think it could be down to the fact that we grew up when the world was changing fast and there was a lot of optimism around. Technology in all fields was developing rapidly and there was a feeling that anything was possible. Communism & the Berlin Wall came crashing down in Germany & the cold war with Russia finally came to an end. The modern media was born, music changed with MTV and we were witness to the Star Wars saga changing the entire movie industry. All of that optimism has become etched into our spirit and it is not something we are going to let go of lightly, even now in an era of austerity & cynicism. Infact the current gloom may be reinforcing our desire to live our lives like it is still the 1980s, allowing our leisure to get us through any tough times that we may be enduring. :D

+1

So very true.

The force is strong with this one... :)

34 here. Keep it up. You guys are giving me hope.

I'am 46 . By the end of the 80's i'd done 2 tours in Northern Ireland , got married , had a son , and was divorced .Heck of a fast way to grow up . I did'nt have time for hobbys .I'am now heading for the big 50 but loving the chance to actually relive the 80's through my refound interest in RC .

What a great post Andy and everyone else.

I bought my first tamiya at the age of 41, and by the time I get to 43 I'll have had more rc cars than years on the planet! Oh well you only live once!!

by the time I get to 43 I'll have had more rc cars than years on the planet!

I am 43 and I have had more RC cars than years on the planet :D And another car arrived yesterday...

I'm 33 now. I have been indulging my revived addiction for R/C for over six years now. I still feel uneasy about telling "outsiders" of my problem. :lol:

I have been waiting for my R/C fascination to wain, but it hasn't. It's starting to look like I shall be inflicted with this condition for some time yet :D

Congratulations to all the people still finding joy in this hobby at 40. Reading threads like this, gives me reassurance that this is a sane way to spend my spare time, and that I should't be too worried about what other people think.

I look forward to reaching 40, and to still be enjoying Tamiya!