Sign in to follow this  
weeman18

540 Motor In A Grasshopper

Hi all,

Been thinking of getting a grasshopper for a while now, I need something to build on the cheap as funds are low :( . Is it true that I only need the 18 tooth pinion from the hornet to put a 540 size can in the hopper, or do I need other stuff like mounting plates and different screws and so on. I have an orion 17x2 motor begging to go into the hopper, so is this possible with just a different pinion?

Yes - all you need is the pinion. The 540 motor screws directly to the gearbox using the screws the Grasshopper uses to screw into the 380 adaptor piece.

i run my hopper with a 540 , slot straight in. although on gravel getting it going in a straight line is fun. did put a 13x2 in it but managed to grass and snap it in two lol

Cheers guys, that is good news. Like the idea of putting a 13turn motor in the buggy, sounds insane. Probably see how it handles with the 17turn first.

With a little 'un on the way I was just thinking that the 380 motor and adaptor might be a nice idea to slow a Lunchbox down enough to let a small child play with it safely - has anyone ever done that?

Must be hundreds or even thousands of discarded 380 motors and adaptors lying around!

my daughter used to run my grasshopper with a 380 motor in it.

it was for the best, as it was the first rc she had driven and i didn't want her to destroy it straight away!

it was surprisingly quick, and had very long run times. well worth doing.

yeah i used a 540powered GH for my boy but its still to much.

hey skip ill swap ya a 380 and gubbens for the qd pumpkin

hey skip ill swap ya a 380 and gubbens for the qd pumpkin

I was asking as I don't have one! Sorry mate :)

Stick up a wanted - I bet someone will have one they dont want

The best way to mount low turn, high rpm motors into a Grasshopper is with the Lunchbox motor mount and the long brass Lunchbox pinion. I have a MambaMax 4600Kv brushless bolted into mine.