I'm a new member, but a lifelong fan of vintage Tamiya's. Have lovingly restored a Frog buy on testing I have found a number of problems. Firstly the steering is reversed so driving becomes a whole new experience (not a good one!) Secondly it tends to wheel-spin furiously in circles. It has a 16T pinion and a substitute hopped up motor (it's all I had lying around apart from vintage Grasshopper motor) Is there too much power? Do I need more teeth in the pinion and how to I sort the steering!?!?

Can anyone advise? I'd be VERY grateful.

Cheers

Sam

Ps Never posted a query before so I hope this works

Hi and welcome.

Sorting the steering depends on the transmitter you have, and the servo you are using. Some servos are designed to operate in one direction, other makes work the other way. These days transmitters usually include servo reversing switches, move it to the other setting and the servo will work the right way.

If there isn't a servo reversing switch you can easily reverse the way it works as long as you can solder. Dismantle the transmitter case and on the back of the steering wheel or stick there will be a potentiometer with 3 wires attached to it. Swap the two outer wires over and it will now work the other way.

For the motor problems I assume you are still using the mechanical speed controller. If so, pick it up and check you have all 3 speeds on it, if the speed controller is broken you will only have instant full or the top two speeds, which means the power comes in instantly and you will always wheelspin with a powerful motor. A more powerful motor will exaggerate the problem. Changing to modern tyres which are much more grippier would be another solutiuon.

The perfect solution is to replace it with an electronic speed control, so you have better control of the throttle to feed in the power in smoothly to prevent wheelspin.

Hi and welcome.

Sorting the steering depends on the transmitter you have, and the servo you are using. Some servos are designed to operate in one direction, other makes work the other way. These days transmitters usually include servo reversing switches, move it to the other setting and the servo will work the right way.

If there isn't a servo reversing switch you can easily reverse the way it works as long as you can solder. Dismantle the transmitter case and on the back of the steering wheel or stick there will be a potentiometer with 3 wires attached to it. Swap the two outer wires over and it will now work the other way.

For the motor problems I assume you are still using the mechanical speed controller. If so, pick it up and check you have all 3 speeds on it, if the speed controller is broken you will only have instant full or the top two speeds, which means the power comes in instantly and you will always wheelspin with a powerful motor. A more powerful motor will exaggerate the problem. Changing to modern tyres which are much more grippier would be another solutiuon.

The perfect solution is to replace it with an electronic speed control, so you have better control of the throttle to feed in the power in smoothly to prevent wheelspin.

Thank you kindly for the info. I have an old transmitter and was unaware of the function of those switches until now. Problem solved!! Frog now steers in correct direction. As for MSC - I'm trying to keep it as original as possible and am using a VERY old MSC (the one with the large coil, as apposed to the one with the ceramic resistors). I do have a spare ceramic resistor type MSC but unsure how/where to attach resistor on to frog.

Thanks for the info though, very valuable.

Cheers

Sam

Thank you kindly for the info. I have an old transmitter and was unaware of the function of those switches until now. Problem solved!! Frog now steers in correct direction. As for MSC - I'm trying to keep it as original as possible and am using a VERY old MSC (the one with the large coil, as apposed to the one with the ceramic resistors). I do have a spare ceramic resistor type MSC but unsure how/where to attach resistor on to frog.

Thanks for the info though, very valuable.

Cheers

Sam

There's a metal mounting plate for the ceramic resistor that attaches to the gearbox. You might have to refer to the 1984 version of the manual which is on the "manuals" section of tamiyaclub.com.

Now, you could always cheat and hide an electronic speed controller in the chassis while keeping the old mechanical one bolted in place. :lol:

There's a metal mounting plate for the ceramic resistor that attaches to the gearbox. You might have to refer to the 1984 version of the manual which is on the "manuals" section of tamiyaclub.com.

Now, you could always cheat and hide an electronic speed controller in the chassis while keeping the old mechanical one bolted in place. :lol:

Hi

Tut Tut! Cheating indeed. ;) Have 2 Frogs, 1 which I restored but that already had (2?) ceramic resistors mounted on the gear box. Have just been swapping MSC's on this renovation and have mounted the resistor on the chassis near the aerial (there are 2 convenient pre-drilled slots there, on both sides) Does anyone know if this could cause any problems??

Cheers

Sam

Welcome to the club and congrats on a fine restoration job.

My 2 cents:

Switching to an ESC might be a smarter choice. I know I've had many cars catching on fire because of faulty MSC. Fire doesn't exactly preserve the "vintageness" of your Frog. :)

Welcome to the club and congrats on a fine restoration job.

My 2 cents:

Switching to an ESC might be a smarter choice. I know I've had many cars catching on fire because of faulty MSC. Fire doesn't exactly preserve the "vintageness" of your Frog. :lol:

A very valid and fair point. Cheers.

When the term 'vintage' is used does it refer to all that Tamiya provided in the 1980's kit, or is period radio gear/ servo's / speed controller etc required, if this it to be a TRUE vintage restoration (in all honesty the only thing I couldn't get were the vintage decals)

Would appreciate any advice

Cheers

Sam

Its all up to you how you go about restoring the kit. There are no set guide lines and nobody is going to judge how "authentic" the car is :P

If its for the shelf I would personally fit an MSC and try to find some period radio gear, as it makes a nice display piece.

For a vintage runner I'd fit an electronic speed control. Its far safer to do so, preventing the model from running away by itself when the receiver pack goes flat, preserving the gearbox thanks to smooth throttle control and as said above - stopping it from catching fire :lol:

If you're happy to run the risks associated with an MSC you will of course have the true vintage experience. Don't forget to keep run times down though, as MSC's were not designed for the half hour + run times you get with modern batteries.

That is indeed something I have to consider when driving my hopped up monster beetle. Its technigold motor gets hot after a while, so I pull the truck over and let it cool down. In the olden days the battery would be dead long before the motor got too hot ;)

I've found no issues using vintage radio gear. As long as its in good condition it'll work just as well as it did in the 80's. Modern radios have loads of useful features, but all a frog needs is 2 channels, something an old radio will do just fine. There's usually no problem hooking vintage receivers to new ESC's either. In fact the only issue I've had running old radio gear is my Futaba Bionic Gold radio and its thirst for batteries ;)

Its all up to you how you go about restoring the kit. There are no set guide lines and nobody is going to judge how "authentic" the car is :P

If its for the shelf I would personally fit an MSC and try to find some period radio gear, as it makes a nice display piece.

For a vintage runner I'd fit an electronic speed control. Its far safer to do so, preventing the model from running away by itself when the receiver pack goes flat, preserving the gearbox thanks to smooth throttle control and as said above - stopping it from catching fire :lol:

If you're happy to run the risks associated with an MSC you will of course have the true vintage experience. Don't forget to keep run times down though, as MSC's were not designed for the half hour + run times you get with modern batteries.

That is indeed something I have to consider when driving my hopped up monster beetle. Its technigold motor gets hot after a while, so I pull the truck over and let it cool down. In the olden days the battery would be dead long before the motor got too hot ;)

I've found no issues using vintage radio gear. As long as its in good condition it'll work just as well as it did in the 80's. Modern radios have loads of useful features, but all a frog needs is 2 channels, something an old radio will do just fine. There's usually no problem hooking vintage receivers to new ESC's either. In fact the only issue I've had running old radio gear is my Futaba Bionic Gold radio and its thirst for batteries ;)

Spot on. When I restore any beat Tamiyas to "runner status," I've always used modern ESCs to avoid any risks. For the "true" experience, the MSC is the way to go (but not recommended!). I guess you can make the argument that taking the risk with fire is the vintage experience. ;)

Good luck with your project. Be sure to keep us updated!

Spot on. When I restore any beat Tamiyas to "runner status," I've always used modern ESCs to avoid any risks. For the "true" experience, the MSC is the way to go (but not recommended!). I guess you can make the argument that taking the risk with fire is the vintage experience. ;)

Good luck with your project. Be sure to keep us updated!

Ok. All my time and effort means that the thought of excessive heat and thus melting (let alone the dreaded fire) has persuaded me that an ESC should be the way to go. Are there any ehem... Vintage ESC's out there? or should I opt for a shiny new one? :lol: Cost is vast becoming an item!! and so, again advice please!!!

Cheers.

Ok. All my time and effort means that the thought of excessive heat and thus melting (let alone the dreaded fire) has persuaded me that an ESC should be the way to go. Are there any ehem... Vintage ESC's out there? or should I opt for a shiny new one? :lol: Cost is vast becoming an item!! and so, again advice please!!!

Cheers.

;):) Now you won't have to worry about your Frog getting a little "heated."

I'm not aware there are any "vintage" ESCs out there that would be a good match with your Frog. If you are looking to save some cash, I'd go on eBay and purchase a "TEU-101BK, item #45029." This is the less complicated standard Tamiya ESC that will work well with your Frog.

A new in package (NIP) should run you about $15-$25 USD on eBay. You can also post an ad in the trades section to see if any fellow TC members have them laying around for sale.

Hope this helped. :P

Cheers.

Just go for the Tamiya 101, which is the same ESC used in most of their re-releases. It'll handle any 27T stock motor.

Just go for the Tamiya 101, which is the same ESC used in most of their re-releases. It'll handle any 27T stock motor.

Hi

Had no idea that you were in the US. Sorry your suggestions for a Tamia ESC's (prices $ not £ gave me clue!?)

Just had a gander at your profile and then at your at your Frog and it's a BEAUTY. :P

Would love to be able to show mine, but seem to be unable to BEGIN to attemp to upload pics to the TC site. :lol:

Suggestions? ;)

for an even more "period correct" esc you could go for one of those old big black futaba's (i forget their #). they can be had for a few $$ on ebizzle.