Mule4864

New To Nitro

Hi

Just begun running in a new 4 x 4 Nitro car (new to me as well as just off the shelf!) and have evcountered a problem. All was well until suddenly the wheels have stopped touning. Endine starst fine, and revs great when I push forward on transmitter, but NOTHING from wheels and (sorry total novice) the cogs no longer turn. Plus if I turn rear wheels by hand then front no longer turn and vice versa. :blink:

Has a screw come loose? Advice would be VERY VERY welcome as these things aren't cheap and I have a whole sunday of fretting ahead of me before the Model Shop opens on monday

In Hope! :angry:

Sam

What car is it to give us a better idea how to help? Do any cogs turn? Check the first cog that's attached to the engine. That's probably a clutch designed to allow the car to stand stationary with the engine running - once the engine reaches sufficient speed the clutch will engage and allow drive to the rest of the drivetrain. If that first cog doesn't move with the engine revving then it sounds like the fixing of the clutch to the engine has come loose.

What car is it to give us a better idea how to help? Do any cogs turn? Check the first cog that's attached to the engine. That's probably a clutch designed to allow the car to stand stationary with the engine running - once the engine reaches sufficient speed the clutch will engage and allow drive to the rest of the drivetrain. If that first cog doesn't move with the engine revving then it sounds like the fixing of the clutch to the engine has come loose.

Confession- It's a CEN Talon. The fly wheel turns but nothing else. Plus now turning the rear wheels by hand doesn't turn the front. When the engine is revving the flywheel turns but the two silver cogs do not. Previously when turning wheels by hand all 4 wheels would turn and so would the red cogs that you can see from underneath the car, and are linked to the silver ones just infront of the fly wheel

Any better??

Thanks

Sam

Confession- It's a CEN Talon. The fly wheel turns but nothing else. Plus now turning the rear wheels by hand doesn't turn the front. When the engine is revving the flywheel turns but the two silver cogs do not. Previously when turning wheels by hand all 4 wheels would turn and so would the red cogs that you can see from underneath the car, and are linked to the silver ones just infront of the fly wheel

Any better??

Thanks

Sam

OK - so it looks like this - yes?

The flywheel on the front of the engine is turning when the engine revs but the two gears on the front of it aren't - is that right? That sounds like the clutch inside isn't engaging. The clutch is inside the black part with the two gears on the end that's attached to the flywheel. If you push the red gears round by hand does that turn all the wheels? I have to admit I've never had a two speed nitro car but this information may help someone else who has to give you an answer.

OK - so it looks like this - yes?

The flywheel on the front of the engine is turning when the engine revs but the two gears on the front of it aren't - is that right? That sounds like the clutch inside isn't engaging. The clutch is inside the black part with the two gears on the end that's attached to the flywheel. If you push the red gears round by hand does that turn all the wheels? I have to admit I've never had a two speed nitro car but this information may help someone else who has to give you an answer.

Hi

If I turn the red gears they will turn the 2 silver cogs and thats all the wheels do not turn. On turning the wheels, the red cog does not turn, which it did previously when all was well.

Thanks

Sam

Hi

If I turn the red gears they will turn the 2 silver cogs and thats all the wheels do not turn. On turning the wheels, the red cog does not turn, which it did previously when all was well.

Thanks

Sam

Sounds like the 2 speed shift mechanism isn't connecting either of the 2 red drive cogs through to the main drive shaft. I've no idea how that works though!

But I'd be expecting that with the engine running at speed so the clutch was engaged you would have the 2 gears on the clutch bell turning and both the red gears turning aswell. Is that happening or is the clutch not engaging either?

Sounds like the 2 speed shift mechanism isn't connecting either of the 2 red drive cogs through to the main drive shaft. I've no idea how that works though!

But I'd be expecting that with the engine running at speed so the clutch was engaged you would have the 2 gears on the clutch bell turning and both the red gears turning aswell. Is that happening or is the clutch not engaging either?

HI

Nothing turns but the fly wheel... I think a back to the shop is in order!!! I have no idea how this works and was going to learn as I go along. However NOT prepared for baptism of fire.

Sam :D

To me it sounds like the clutch isn't engaging and the 2 speed shift system isn't either. Could it be two faults at the same time? Make sure you report back what the problem is - I'd like to know.

To me it sounds like the clutch isn't engaging and the 2 speed shift system isn't either. Could it be two faults at the same time? Make sure you report back what the problem is - I'd like to know.

Will do. Might be a while if repair is in orded, especially as im off on hols in a week

Cheers though for all your advice, much appreciated. :D

If the shop know their stuff I'd expect them to atleast be able to let you know what the problem is straight away. The other option is to see if CEN or their importer Ripmax have a helpline you can ring. Ripmax's number is 020 8282 7500 but whether they have anybody who can give advice I don't know. Might not hurt to try.

If the shop know their stuff I'd expect them to atleast be able to let you know what the problem is straight away. The other option is to see if CEN or their importer Ripmax have a helpline you can ring. Ripmax's number is 020 8282 7500 but whether they have anybody who can give advice I don't know. Might not hurt to try.

TOP info mate.

I would hope that since I bought it on Fri, charged glow starter and the ran it on on Sat as per recommendations then shop should refund/ repair under warranty.

Or am I in for a nasty surprise????

TOP info mate.

I would hope that since I bought it on Fri, charged glow starter and the ran it on on Sat as per recommendations then shop should refund/ repair under warranty.

Or am I in for a nasty surprise????

I doubt you're in for a nasty surprise. I've found shops and importers can be very helpful. I guess it all depends on whether the shop actually know anything about the cars they sell. I had problems with a HPI MT2 nitro truck and Mirage ( the importers ) bent over backwards to be helpful and sort it out for me. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience.