Sign in to follow this  
HunterZero

Buggy Champ 2009 - Minor Packing Error

Heheh, just noticed a tiny error with the parts in the Buggy Champ. I bought 3 kits, and 2 of them have this issue.

The pipe joints in the blister pack are normally numbered 1 through 4. I don't think that there's any reason for them to be numbered, they all look identical. However, of the kits I have, only one of them has a pipe joint set with each of the four numbers.

One has parts numbered 1, 1, 1, 2 and the other has them numbered 1, 1, 2, 4!

Anyone else notice this?

- James

not sure if this is a packing error cause I got

1, 3, 3, 4 it's possible that a single housing contains four moulds and each had a number for tracing mould defects. ....me thinks.

_DSC0048.jpg

I think the parts have been numbered to distinguish from the originals perhaps. Certainly many of the other parts are easily distinguishable from the originals, but those ones would otherwise be identical. I am however surprised to find Tamiya making such a mistake, they are usually very precise.

Until now the only mistake I have ever seen first hand was when I had a case of Toyota Celica Gr.Bs with one of them missing the springs from the blister (sealed)

Paul.

I noticed the manual has a mistake on a page where the greasing shadows have slipped off a touch and floats in mid air. Does anyone know why you have to use the steering rods in the separate packet? It was hard to spot the difference also the single small shim for the center tube.

Until now the only mistake I have ever seen first hand was when I had a case of Toyota Celica Gr.Bs with one of them missing the springs from the blister (sealed)

I'm not sure if this is really a mistake in the case of the Buggy Champ, since you can still build the car no problems... Mechplas' theory sounds correct. But it is odd for a Tamiya kit to have weird part numbering like this.

Only other mistake I have seen was my TA05 came with two rear left uprights... One was loose, broken from the sprue, the other still had the piece of sprue attached but the right one was missing. So somewhere, someone else must have got one with two right ones.

- James

Actually Mechplas could be right. I have seen plastics companies like Gardena do this to distinguish between specific moulds.

Paul.

It's not a mistake, it's for quality control at the factory to identify which mould the part came from in case there is a problem. Remember they need 4 times as many of these as the kit only uses one of most of the other cast parts.

If they were part numbers each part number would be referenced in the manual to ensure you used the correct one in the right location.

It's not a mistake, it's for quality control at the factory to identify which mould the part came from in case there is a problem. Remember they need 4 times as many of these as the kit only uses one of most of the other cast parts.

If they were part numbers each part number would be referenced in the manual to ensure you used the correct one in the right location.

The 2 rear wishbones and wheel hubs looks the same to me, are they numbered too?

I think mechplas is correct. In my case it is 1,2,3,4. However, if that is the case, then why 4 moulds and not 2?

My other NIB has 1,2,2,4 ... and the blister pack is quite badly lifted.

58441_DSCN1909_007jpg.jpg

I think the parts have been numbered to distinguish from the originals perhaps. Certainly many of the other parts are easily distinguishable from the originals, but those ones would otherwise be identical. I am however surprised to find Tamiya making such a mistake, they are usually very precise.

Paul.

I agree that Tamiya has always been quite precise. I've only had a few nuts n' bolts missing in a recent VLB kit, but Tamiya made it up by sending me a complete press bag.;)

Hey, that means those packed with 1, 2, 3 & 4 would be widely sought after in 20 or 30 years!! What are the odds of having them bubbled in sequence in the kit from a bucket full at the factory. :)

Hey, that means those packed with 1, 2, 3 & 4 would be widely sought after in 20 or 30 years!! What are the odds of having them bubbled in sequence in the kit from a bucket full at the factory. :)

I was thinking the same about the poor blister pack around the motor.

In twenty years time I'll be lifting the lid on mine and people will be gazing in awe "wow, it's an original run re-release" while I'll be standing there arms crossed nodding wisely like a sage.

Possibly.