Sign in to follow this  
ScottyNI

M02l Advice On Rebuild

Basically i have an M02L Beetle and Boxster, i sold the boxster to a friend years ago but i just bought it back with radio gear etc for £20 :blink:

so i was planning on strippin the 2 of them and either building both or depending on the condition of the bits and bobs building one and using other for spares...

is there anything essential or recommended to uprate in these chassis?

i've doen a bit of searching but cant seem to find much info on em, also searched for hop up parts but they're bit thin on the ground...

anywhere recommended for bits and pieces?

bare essential being a bearing kit ;)

I'd say, take both of them apart and look what parts might be worn or damaged and need replacement. Then source them on ebay and/or here on TamiyaClub. Some of the parts trees and hopups cost more than today's cars and some may cost some time to source, but it's definitely worth restoring them or keeping them in a good running condition.

The most important parts that need replacement are:

- Bushings (Replace for bearings). This allows all rotating components to run more freely, reducing wear. The bushings also wear out after some use, the gears will at some point get out of alignment, greatly reducing the drivetrain efficiency, damaging the gears and sometimes the heat buildup from the friction can cause the gearbox halves to melt at the points where the axles are held in position (I had this once with a car of mine which used bushings).

- Friction Shocks (Replace for Oil Shocks). The oil shocks will have a much smoother movement and better damping. But more importantly, oil shocks will not bind. I had friction shocks on both my M02's, and because of the design of the monoshock setup the forces on the shock are not straight. Therefor, the hole through which the shock's piston rod goes will not wear out straight. After it has had some use, the piston rod can move into the shock on an angle because of the wear and can easily bind during this because of higher friction. This is a big problem when cornering: Because of binding friction shocks, I had my M02M rolling over when cornering several times on a slightly bumpy road at higher speeds. I replaced the friction shocks for oil shocks on my M02 before the problem would occur on that car, too.

Besides these hopups, I can recommend getting a Stabilizer set. This will greatly increase the steering response and reduce the body roll massively :)

yeah i remember rolling them numerous times when i had them running...

gonna strip the two this afternoon and have a clean up of them and take it from there, anywhere recommended for a bearing kit or other mo2 parts, cant seem to find much listed anywhere?

cheap and cheerful :)

speed controller seems to be fried (mechanical) :) but other wise seems to work as it sits, no good batt's for the radio gear so chargin at the mo but the lights comin on when its turned on... so we have some hope!!

Any good budget esc's recommended? theyre summat i know zero about and have no experience wi

can confirm radio gear still works.... relief!!

Picture1167Medium.jpg

Picture1168Medium.jpg

Picture1169Medium.jpg

Picture1170Medium.jpg

Picture1171Medium.jpg

Best bit is the kit was 29.99 in beatties for the beetle and 59.99 for the porsche, goin by prices now i wish i'd bought ten!!!

yeah i remember rolling them numerous times when i had them running...

gonna strip the two this afternoon and have a clean up of them and take it from there, anywhere recommended for a bearing kit or other mo2 parts, cant seem to find much listed anywhere?

cheap and cheerful :)

For Bearings, I'd advice WalaWalaStore on ebay, or their non-ebay website www.abec35.com - Wide range or bearings of many sizes and types, all you will need are 5x11x4mm and 5x8x2.5mm bearings (1150 and 850 size in Tamiya manual).

For Shocks I'd pass the CVA's and get low friction dampers from Tamiya straight away - at the right seller they cost just $2 more and they work so much better than the CVA dampers from Tamiya :P

For M02 parts, not all parts are always available. Check ebay regularly for sourching the parts that you need, and keep an eye on TC's traderoom.

Regarding the speed control, since it's a mechanical one it's not that big of a matter. It adds a lot of weight (you need that second servo) and an ESC works without 'steps.' I think the best budget ESC (from what I've heard) is from Tamiya, the TEU-101BK.

jus finished stripping the first one, have to say i much rpefer working on my ta01!! but the idler gear on this un is scrap... hoping the second will fair better but then again... i remember how it was driven :) lol

i have spare oil dampers from my ta01... would these suffice? just standard tamiya items

will Tamiya, TEU-101BK esc work wi acoms stuff ok? found a few on ebay but they seem to mention futabe etc but not acoms?

Regarding the speed control, since it's a mechanical one it's not that big of a matter. It adds a lot of weight (you need that second servo) and an ESC works without 'steps.' I think the best budget ESC (from what I've heard) is from Tamiya, the TEU-101BK.

Mtroniks' Viper Eco 20 (or 27) is pretty good, though I find the low speed control not as good as the TEU-101BK.

Ordered the bearing set :) deffo a good wee price from WalaWalaStore , well pleased, hopefully wont take long coming,

Just need to source a cheap esc now... dont know a lot about them though, but i imagine this car will stay fairly standard motor wise... maybe sport tuned at some point

a cheap second hand unit would suffice

got an m tronik esc there and the bearing kit arrived, the kit has been stripped and cleaned so gonna see about starting to build it all abck up again...

gonna jus run silver can for now but might fire in a sport tuned motor if i see one goin reasonable at some point...

Will the standard oil dampers from my ta01 spares fit/work with the m02?

Origineelreclamebord;

wats the stabiliser kit you were talking about, is there a part number or anything or whats involved?

Thanks

Mark

got an m tronik esc there and the bearing kit arrived, the kit has been stripped and cleaned so gonna see about starting to build it all abck up again...

gonna jus run silver can for now but might fire in a sport tuned motor if i see one goin reasonable at some point...

Will the standard oil dampers from my ta01 spares fit/work with the m02?

Origineelreclamebord;

wats the stabiliser kit you were talking about, is there a part number or anything or whats involved?

Thanks

Mark

Good to hear you're busy on the restoration of the car, great chassis' to drive ;) Anyway, I think the silver can would do just fine... They are much quicker than the 4WD's and I even noticed a clear change in top speed when mine got ball bearings!

The oil dampers from a TA01 should work, they just need to have about the same length as the friction shocks that were on the car. If it's too short you can change that by adding a longer Shock eye/mount on the piston rod, or by removing spacers that are often located inside the damper cylinder which make the damper shorter. If it's slightly longer it's no problem, then you can just put the spring from the friction shock on it and it will have the right length.

As for the stabilizer set, it's Tamiya part number #53239 (it's actually a set though). The set includes a thick and a thin metal bar, four ball ends to put on each end of the bars, four metal plates, four tie rods to connect the stabilizers with ball ends below, these ball ends are special ones with long rods to replace the screw pins which hold the uprights in place.

This showroom entry shows a few nice pictures of the stabilizer. Whereas in the showroom entry the thick bar is placed at the back, I would put it on the front (or the thin one at the front and no stabilizer on the rear). I tried it with the thick bar on the rear and it was just too stiff on the rear. The car wanted to oversteer a lot and I couldn't get it to stop oversteering (resulting in 3 crashes in just a few minutes). I switched to two thin bars (because I had a spare thin bar lying around) and that works best for me. It's just a matter of tweaking the set up a bit, but overall this hopup makes the car a lot more fun to drive (a more lively drive) ;)

thats excellent, many thanks for the help!!

very much appreciated, might actually make a start on a rebuild this afternoon

DSC00067.jpg

think one of the gears has seen better days from one of the kits