Sign in to follow this  
bruiserbuilder

Buggy Champ Woes.....

singapore, I'm not asking for current technological performance, I'm just saying that I would prefer that the shocks function properly.

You know, he has got a point :-)

You have to give him that one.

You know, he has got a point :-)

You have to give him that one.

Lol, ok crappy day and perhaps I'm grumpy!

I'm not flaming anything or one, just saying that they didn't work back then so they were unlikely to work today.

But perhaps Tamiya could have removed the words 'high performance' from the box for the re re. :(:D

or put a removable sticker on it saying low perf / unimproved shocks. Seriously!

:(

-actually, I'll give a better reason:

I've had one I and know how bad the shocks are/were so I wasn't expecting much. Any new owners without prior experience of one, have higher expectations, hence the posts. So I understand :D

The shocks didn`t work properly 30 years ago,they havn`t changed that much at all,have they?

:D

The car drives best on sand,the shockers never worked properly,they probably never will,they do look good though :(

I agree, stick Scorcher wheels and tyres on the rear, forget the expensive diff options, leave the shocks filled with glue for all I care and run it to death on the beach till the (new and improved) LiFE batteries run down after HOURS not minutes :-)

There is still loads of flex in the new chassis, so plenty of shock absorption there!

Paul.

We dream until we can afford the dream, then reality bites.

The shocks didn`t work properly 30 years ago,they havn`t changed that much at all,have they?

:D

The car drives best on sand,the shockers never worked properly,they probably never will,they do look good though :(

To be honest after much fiddling around the shocks on my BC work quite well considering.... I wouldn't say it bounces around much at all. When running the rear sits in a neutral position (level) with the shocks 1/2 compressed.

For me it handled better than expected, though ive never seen one running before, I only dont like the fact the shocks seem to leak when used after, my run dirt collected around bottom of shocks where oil

seeped out i know 2 of them i have to much oil in so might be that!

i'm dealing with this nonsense with a pair of vintage crp shocks. these shocks don;t even have a notch in the piston, the piston is just smaller than the cylinder bore.

now i remember why we all changed out the shocks, with bottom fill shocks you can't bleed them correctly, they are either hard (no movement)too much oil or low on oil and "squishy".

You get oil on the BC shocks because as soon as you hit a bump hard enough, the shocks 'burp' oil out through the oil seals, as there's nowhere else for the oil to go.

i'm dealing with this nonsense with a pair of vintage crp shocks. these shocks don;t even have a notch in the piston, the piston is just smaller than the cylinder bore.

Yeah, those CRP shocks for the Frog front suspension kit really are rubbish. If you fill them with oil as per instructions, they don't move at all. They bind like there's no tomorrow, even with a coilover. And the spring tensioner collars are very soft plastic, they're far too fragile.

- James

I'm wondering about the coilover kits that one of the members is selling on ebay. One, will they have any problem clearing the body? -as the the pictures others have posted indicate that it is already a tight fit. Two, since leakage seems to be occurring with excessive damping, will the coilovers reduce the movement in the shock body.

I just picked up mine today. I decided to put the build off until I move in October because I'd like to see my Wild One project finished and I'd like to see my electronics situation in my DF-03RA squared away before I undertake anything new. Also, I'd like to have something to look forward to when I move. First off, I was surprised at how big the box was. When I had it in the car on the way home I was thinking that it looked similar in size to the HS rere box. When I got it home, I was astonished at the fact that it's nearly 1/3 bigger. Also, you gotta love how these rere kits are packaged. I know the HS was nowhere near as accurate in the packaging but at least they maintained the box size and art. The packaging on the BC rere is just downright beautiful. I appreciate things like this, and after spending $265 (the most expensive kit I own) I realized that I would savor the build and it would be well worth it.

I'm already thinking of the color scheme I will chose, as I think I will do the body first.