Sign in to follow this  
RichardinNZ

Lunchbox Body Mounts

I was looking at the discount bin at my local shop (which is the NZ tamiya importers factory shop....) and they had some Parma Adjustable Body Mounts labeled to fit about 3 Tamiya buggies (can't remember which) and the Lunchbox.

Has anyone tried these? I'm wondering if they are less fragile than the originals!

Thanks

Richard

If it's the same kit I bought, it'll be for the Hornet, Grasshopper, Lunchie and probably the old style Paj.. as I believe all these cars share the same tub chassis. These body mount parts are made of a softer, but much less brittle plastic than the tamiya standard, so will survive knocks and bashes quite well!

Trevor Bringans has a factory shop with discount bin?!?!? :D

Oh yes! A couple of SRB Parma humpback battery packs in there too!

May not have the body mounts for much longer!!

Thanks

Richard

I didn't know that, I will endevour to visit next time I'm up there :) Thanks for the heads up!

Hmm, I would have thought a company would have cast or lathed up some lunchbox mounts by now?

Hmm, I would have thought a company would have cast or lathed up some lunchbox mounts by now?

Biggus gave me a good tip - Use ball end/rod ends screwed to the chassis, then run a screw through the body into the ball end.

Because the battery's under the chassis, there's no real need to remove the shell all that often

img169_16082009172100_6.jpg

• Like 1

Looks simple, but effective! Could adapt with a stud going in instead of the screw; this could be drilled to use the clips.........

Many thanks

Richard

That a great idea! If you have any threaded rods left over from various builds/spare packets (I have heaps), what you could do is wind the thread in that ball end, and lope the end off a couple of mm or so and drill a hole like you said! :P

I haven't broken my original mounts yet though (touch wood), it's not a matter of 'if', it's 'when' :D

That a great idea! If you have any threaded rods left over from various builds/spare packets (I have heaps), what you could do is wind the thread in that ball end, and lope the end off a couple of mm or so and drill a hole like you said! ;)

I haven't broken my original mounts yet though (touch wood), it's not a matter of 'if', it's 'when' :)

My local hobby shop had metal lunchbox body mounts from way back in the day. He had a whole bag!!

It looks like someone is finally making lunchbox aluminium body mounts and there on ebay.co.uk.

Nice find ;) I'll have a set of those please :)

EDIT - ordered - I'll let you all know of the quality when they turn up. They look good in the pics anyway. A little pricey but that's custom alu parts for you.... speaking of which.... who wants a G1 for their Monster Beetle ;)

Arrived today - speedy service, especially considering the postal strike over the last few working days!

They look the business quite frankly. Very lightweight, well machined, shiny too! As for how well they work/fit... I'll report back this evening. Looking bang on the money for now though! Am very pleased.

I took lunchie out at the weekend for a bash around the park, my dodgy home made mods worked OK, but she'll be very happy to have these fitted!

I spotted those ally body mounts but as they cost more than my 2 lunchboxes put together i decided against it lol

To be fair, the P&P was "free" and they were sent 1st Class recorded. If you take the cost of postage off, they cost around the same as a new spru that has the original mounts on - but I bet these last a lot longer though!

I'll get some pics up later tonight and I'll be sure to give them a full road-test as soon as possible! I might let my flatmate loose with the controller, he's not afraid to push my lunchie to the limit :rolleyes:

Ok, so here they are, I'm both impressed and happy ;)

SDC11194.jpg

SDC11195close.jpg

SDC11196close.jpg

SDC11197close.jpg

SDC11198.JPG

Here's one side by side with an original (my only surviving original at that!):

SDC11205.JPG

They are pretty much exact copies, just much stronger (I hope!).

Mmmmmm.... shiny and metal. Mmmmmmmm.

I bought a set on the 24th, so I'm glad they look good ;) I'm thinking it might be a good idea to order a spare chassis or two - something has to break & it won't be those mounts :) / :(

Ask the seller if he'll sort you out a carbon fibre one - you might be surprised at the answer ;)

They really are as you'd hope them to be. Perfectly machined, softened edges around the screw hole and very shiny! The body clip hole is slightly smaller than the original but I guess this improves strength and the clips still fit just fine. It's the weight that surprised me! 1.75grams, as opposed to 0.95grams for the plastic one. You can hardly tell the difference in the hand and I honestly can't with my eyes shut.

Good job I say.

The factory ones end up wearing away anyway from the shell rattling on it, (and the hole's in the shells go oval) so these would be a good buy with them being stronger and less prone to wear. I'd buy some but I think I've spent enough this week :(

Mine arrived today - very nice :( I did balk a little at the cost, but the last set of plastic parts cost me £13, and I seem to break them at the rate of one mount per outing ...

That was my thought too - if you deduct P&P from the overall cost (and you dont need to any more as he's split it out) then they cost the same as a new spru. No brainer in my mind!

Let's hope people will feel the same about my alu G1 parts - they will ready by this time next month!