Butler

M03 To M05

The M05 shares a lot of parts with the M03, so wondered if anyone has worked out what parts are needed to convert one and if it make financial sense?

I guessing buying a M05 and selling what would don't use would be the most cost effective, but its extra work.

I wonder if you can buy the chassis parts and some of the other bits to do this.

Maybe I'll have to download the manuals and go through them.

Cheers,

I have seen that, but I'd like a second opinion. It only looks like you need the chassis and steering parts.

Most of the suspension looks the same. The gearbox internals are the same.

Its whether you need lots of specific metal parts as its the Metal Bags that are expensive to buy as spares.

Somebody else on rctech used $40 dollars worth of M05 parts to convert his M03, but provided no other information.

According to that article, most of the screw sizes have changed, although if you have a box of odds n sods like most people I'm sure you can scratch together enough screws for the build.

If the diff is the same, then outdrives, dogbones, axles etc. should all line up too.

Your best bet is to try & find a manual & compare directly with the M03 manual.

Depending on which kit you are starting with, here's all the help you need. Compare parts in these.

M03 manual

http://www.tamiya.com/japan/download/rcmanual/m03.pdf

M03R manual

http://www.tamiya.com/japan/download/rcmanual/49417m03r.pdf

M05 manual

http://www.tamiya.com/japan/download/rcmanual/m05.pdf

M05 Pro manual

http://www.tamiya.com/japan/download/rcman...58443m05pro.pdf

Just costed up converting 1 of my M03's. U'll need every sprue! I reckon you can still do it for £30ish including shipping from RC Mart or Stella.

If only Tamiya wasn't so canny with those front body mounts you wouldn't need sprue C same goes for F6! Why Tamiya? Why!!!!

Just costed up converting 1 of my M03's. U'll need every sprue! I reckon you can still do it for £30ish including shipping from RC Mart or Stella.

If only Tamiya wasn't so canny with those front body mounts you wouldn't need sprue C same goes for F6! Why Tamiya? Why!!!!

bodyposts were M04 copies.

F6? looking at it, seems it's meant to make install of 3R ball diff more straight forward. No more reaming open the outdrive holes in the chassis for the balldiff outdrives to pass through, as should be done in the M03.

Seems they make quite a bit of new tooling with the M05...

That was a rhetorical why :D

At first glance it appears that Tamiya have just added these parts to existing sprues to make a conversion slightly more expensive. However, they've had a bit of a play with the F parts (back to the 1150 bearings used on early M03's) and thou containing mostly the same items the layout of C parts has change to incorporate the M04 as irenL points out. I reckon you can get away with using 50850 (M04 posts), avoiding the M05 C parts, but the cost difference vrs spare part ratio is so low I'd go for the C Parts.

I've just set myself the challenge of converting my spare M03 to M05 PRO spec for less then £50! (+shipping)

I'm ratting the dampers, UJ shafts, gearbox joints, gears, servo saver, bearings, rear axles and electronics from the M03.

Just ordered the following...

RC Mart

1 x Tamiya (#50882) King Pin Set For TA04 (Won't need these if you have a M03M)

1 x Tamiya (#50797) 5mm Short Adjust

1 x 3Racing (#3RAC-HTS30/LB) Servo Saver Horn-single Hole- Light Blu (Pointless bling)

1 x Tamiya (#53642) 5mm Alu. Ball Connector (BU) (Pointless bling)

1 x 3Racing (#M05-22/LB) Steering Servo Linkage 95mm For M05

1 x Tamiya (#51393) M-05 F Parts (Upright)

1 x Tamiya (#51392) M-05 D Parts (Damper Stay)

1 x Tamiya (#51391) M-05 C Parts (Suspension Arm)

1 x Tamiya (#51390) M-05 B Parts (Steering Wiper)

1 x Tamiya (#51389) M-05 A Parts (Chassis)

1 x Tamiya (#54148) DB01 Steering Post (Remove the slop)

Ebay

1 x Tamiya (#50579) 3x10mm Step Screw (5 Pcs.) (I'll probably have a pair of these going spare once finished)

RCBearings.co.uk

4 x Tamiya Bearing Part Number 850 (steering)

So far that’s £36.60 +Shipping

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I wasn't the only one giving it some thought.

I wasn't really thinking about doing it quite so soon, but this thread spured me into action. :P Now I'll have to join the M05 development curve at the club (where I race the M03). LOL

Great service from RCBearings ... Order placed late Friday afternoon ... Bearings arrived Saturday morning!

I've turned the list of items into this...

DSC00383.jpg

So for £36 + your old M03 you can build a M05.

After a few tests runs I'd suggest adding 3Racing's Front Shock Tower (M05-03/LB). It’s only a couple of quid for correct front end geometry.

How does it go?

I am hoping its got less traction roll issues, so you can run softer tyres.

How does it go?

I am hoping its got less traction roll issues, so you can run softer tyres.

I took the M05 racing on carpet last Friday. Once it stopped falling apart, ruining 2 heats (assembly problems glue everything! LOL), I found it much easier car to drive consistently when compared to the M03.

I started the night running the front and rear end at about 5mm, it was turning up its own *******. Raising the rear end a few mm sorted this. I also found I could go full throttle through the circuits fast sweeping corners where the M03 had grip roll problems especially when running a Lipo in the M03. I still had roll issues under braking in 1 of the slow speed corners, which is probably more my fault then the chassis. I've got into a nasty habit of carrying to much speed into a corner, braking and turning at the same time. (Stupid lazy rolls are where the Fiat 500 is a massive plus. 90% of the time it rights itself!) The M05 feels solid in the corners and inspired confidence where as I was always expecting the M03 to turn turtle at every corner.

Interestingly, but probably not surprisingly, the shift of weight balance to the rear of the chassis seems to hampered acceleration. I found I was getting wheel spin off the line and out of slow corners. Stiffer springs at the rear or softer front tyres… Hummm

This was the first club back after the hall had been closed for 6 weeks. I expected to be massively rusty; however I picked up a second place on the grid and second place in the B final. Not to bad considering the level of skill at the club and my 6 month noobieness :) Having said that I've won the last 3 pre break B finals and made the A once with the M03, but that’s probably more down to the fact there’s more set-ups to copy for the M03 then the M05. Next week I’ll play with some controller and chassis setting. I’m sure I can go faster with the M05.

Dragging up an old thread but I am just embarking on converting my last remaining M03 into an M05 so I have a spare racer (I already have a heavily hopped up M05 I race) - unfortunately I used all my "non" hop-up parts to help my friend convert his M03 so I am basically starting from scratch...

This is what I have bought...

From SelectionsRC on eBay (UK) - £9.98 posted

1 x Tamiya (#51390) M-05 B Parts (Steering Wiper)

1 x Tamiya (#51389) M-05 A Parts (Chassis)

From Victor101Car on eBay (UK) - £1.94

1 x Tamiya (#50579) 3x10mm Step Screw (4pcs) (for steering wiper)

From Tonys Tamiya Parts on eBay (UK) - £4.24

1 x Tamiya (#50882) King Pin Set For TA04 (for front uprights)

From Lacorunone Hobbies on eBay (HK) - £15.80 including shipping discount

1 x Tamiya (#51393) M-05 F Parts (Upright)

1 x Tamiya (#51392) M-05 D Parts (Damper Stay)

2 x Tamiya (#51391) M-05 C Parts (Suspension Arm)

From hk.rcmodel on eBay (HK) £3.43

1 x Tuneup - Aluminum Servo Steering Linkage for M05 (the long steering bar - cheapest way to get it was this hop-up)

I already have enough spare 850 bearings for the steering and a selection of standard screws and rod-ends that should see me through the build. So total outlay is just £35.39 INCLUDING postage. Pretty pleased with that - I worked out that if I sold my pretty worthless battered old M03 on eBay (where its a gamble whether it would make £30 or so) it would cost me a lot more to actually buy an M05 kit (or one of those "barebones" kits)

Will post up images when the build is complete :P

Just finished my M05 conversion - went together simply enough - I used stainless 2mm allen head fixings throughout which I luckily had in my spares collection.

Its standard apart from 54000 M-chassis specific shocks, full bearings and a RW racing 20t pinion on the end of a Tamiya Superstock RZ (for pavement fun - will slot in a 540J for racing at my local club)

m052.jpg

Shell is just a Colt pickup shell I had which has been fitted to all sorts of chassis over the past couple of years (hence the stars covering old bodypost holes!)

m051.jpg

I am also selling off all my old M03 parts as I cant see me owning/building another one - see here

Looking into this again now. My M03 chassis is starting to crack in a few places. I reckon its £15 in parts to fix. Based on the above info I reckon under £30 to convert as I am already running M03M uprights and have some threaded bar I can use for the steering linkage.