Sign in to follow this  
qatmix

Df02 Pinion Question

Hi all

What pitch are the df02 pinions? Are they the same as the TA01/2 pinions?

Cheers

These pinions are metric. So they do not have a "pitch"...

Pinions for the DF-02 have a "module" of 0,6mm (as well as TA-01).

conversion: pd = 25,4 / m = 25,4 / 0,6 = 42,33dp

If you buy non-Tamiya like the Robinson Racing steel pinion look for the METRIC 48 pitch.

Isn't the "Metric 48dp" usually refered as M0,5? Like used in the DF-03?

To be honest I don't know what the metric 48dp stands for. I have seen 48p which won't work, and metric 48p which replaces the stock Tamiya pinion nicely, but I have not seen the 48dp metric designation before.

It is all very confusing to me and I agonize over pinion replacement every time. So far I have found: the old buggies and cars use the 32 pitch, the newer models use the metric 48p and nothing I own works with the standard 48p. None of the hobby shops in my area understand Metric-speak or stock Mod 5, 6 or 8 pinions [or can tell me about the conversion] so I've been on my own with trial and error. And helpful advice from TC members! :blink:

Simply mention the word "metric" to an average American and their eyes will glaze over and they immediately start looking for a way to excuse themselves. Obviously you are a nutter and aren't going to buy anything anyway. That's the response I usually get when I bother to ask. I usually don't anymore.

Part numbers for Robinson Racing pinions suitable for DF02 are RRP1119 (19T) RRP1118 (18T) RRP1117 (17T) and RRP1116 (16T). Use the part number to search for them on eBay. These are a 0.6mm Module pinion but not named as such by RR.

It is only Robinson Racing that has given them the ficticious term 'metric 48dp'. How can something be both metric and SAE sizes at the same time? So completely nonesense naming but it's what they call them.

0.5mm Module is not made by anyone but Tamiya AFAIK. Tooth counts from 18T to 32T. The 0.5mm ones from Tamiya are steel so wear well unlike their soft butter olloy AV junk.