Sign in to follow this  
JETSET

My First Build... For 25 Years.

Hi Everyone,

OK, so i've been lurking around here for a few weeks now, but this is my first post.

It seems like a really friendly place, so i thought I'd share my photos of my return to the hobby.

I stumbled accross an article about the re-release of the Buggy Champ and something clicked (or snapped). Suddenly I had to build a kit again.

Now I love the BC to death, but i wanted to build something i could run without fear of unwanted rolls and cracked shells. My first car was a Sand Scorcher so i'm aware of the "characteristics" of the SRBs.

I wanted a "vintage" Tamiya that actually looked like a car, would drive nicely out of the box and maybe give me options for hop-ups in the future (if i got bitten by the bug again).

So after a little thought i decided on the re re Brat.

Anyway, long story short - Bought it, built, ran it, love it.

Here are a few pictures of my first build for 25 years. I'm really pleased with it, although masking inside a lexen body is a bit tricky.

post-30906-1251308471_thumb.jpg

post-30906-1251308722_thumb.jpg

post-30906-1251308745_thumb.jpg

After seeing all the individuals returning to the hobby, I concluded that Tamiya RC is like a virus, once got the virus it spreads; goes into submission; and flare again after several years. No antibiotic can kill this virus :)

"Hi, my name is {enter name here} and I have a Tamiya problem." :)

Been there, STILL doing that. Welcome to TC and Welcome back to R/C.

So ... what is next?

Thanks for the warm welcome Guys.

I've really enjoyed my re-introduction to the hobby, I'll definitely be sticking around.

I think the Tamiya virus is contagious too! My girlfriend took the Brat for a spin the other day and is already pestering me to build her a car!

Any suggestions on a good start for her?

My first thought was a Lunch Box, but i think the handling might be a bit off-putting. Maybe a Hornet/Grasshopper? Nice handling and bullet proof gearbox.

Oh, and it'll probably end up pink!

As for MY next project... I'd still love a Buggy Champ or another Sand Scorcher, if Tamiya re re the Scorcher I'll be VERY tempted to get one just for the shelf and old times sake.

For the time being i'm trying not to get over excited and buy everything at once! My love affair was only recently rekindled by the Brat, I can't spurn her for another just yet.

But between you and me, I'm liking the look of some of the new rally cars.

Nice job on the Brat, and welcome to the forum (Support Group? :))

Just to echo what Tamiya 1/10 said about the RC "Virus", a friend of mine at work used to be into Nitro RCs, and on seeing pics of mine, has been on about getting back into it, but wanted an electric buggy ("can't be fussed with all that messing about with fuel and glo plugs"). Managed to pick him a Mad Bull from the bay for £40

Would imagine we'll be seeing another new member before long :)

I'd suggest a Mad Bull for your missus too JetSet. Lots of fun, indestructable, and the bits are readily available and cheap - some good hop up options too!

I would second the Mad Bull - those big tires and low stance make it a hoot to drive and nearly indestructible.

Otherwise maybe a frog - it would be very evenly matched with yours for bashing together and spares would be shared b/w you. Besides, it looks great in pink!

Thanks for the suggestion SteelRat and Taliesin.

I've shown the missus pictures of the Mad Bull. She loves the big wheels and from your descriptions it will fit the bill perfectly.

And just think, with those big yellow wheels and a pink paint job it'll look like a giant Fruit Salad sweet ;)

I think my condition is worsening - I've already bought CRP posts/mountings for the front of the Brat. Now I just need to decide on dampers/coils. Next will be a hotter motor :)

You're welcome.

Bright Pink Mad Bull? Now that's something I have to see - be sure to post pics in your showroom once it's built :)

Bright Pink Mad Bull? Now that's something I have to see - be sure to post pics in your showroom once it's built :lol:

Yup, it could be sponsored by a new energy drink called Pink Bull. Tastes like Pepto Bismal. :unsure: