dwayne

What Is Wrong With This Frog?

I got this last week and it will be my first Frog restoration. The suspension definately is not stock on the front,so what I am wondering is what am I looking at? What are these shocks and shock tower from? I am sure the front bumper is aftermarket,by whom I dunno. If you see anything else that is not stock please point it out for me. Thanks guys!!

RC010.jpg

RC016.jpg

RC.jpg

The shock tower looks like a home-built job to me - but I'm no expert on frogs. I'm seriously contemplating one in the near future though, so I've been looking at mods/upgrades for them, and that doesn't look like the [CRP?] hop-up that I've seen before.

I'll be watching to see what others say though. ;)

It all looks like the CRP front shock conversion set except for the shock towers. I don't remember anyone making a fiberglass shock tower set for the frog, but I've been wrong before. ;)

It all looks like the CRP front shock conversion set except for the shock towers. I don't remember anyone making a fiberglass shock tower set for the frog, but I've been wrong before. ;)

Definitely not a home made job; I have that same shock tower set on my old Frog - and have always wondered who made it! It also has a set of dampers that are different than the CRPs that Dwayne posted.

Give me a minute and I'll dig it out and post a pic. ;)

-Steve

Here we are:

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

(Ignore the Brat body mount :lol: )

Now that I compare the two, I see that my towers are distinctly different than Dwayne's -- So does anyone know what we have here??

I don't know what you have there either, but I do know that the towers are not CRP and neither are the shocks. CRP towers are plastic, not fiberglass. The shocks are identical to some that I have in my stash. Some of the ones I have came from an old Bolink pan car (Invader??) that used them. The metal collars are the give-away that they're not CRP. Did Bolink make a setup like this??

Definitely not a home made job; I have that same shock tower set on my old Frog - and have always wondered who made it! It also has a set of dampers that are different than the CRPs that Dwayne posted.

Give me a minute and I'll dig it out and post a pic. :lol:

-Steve

So my shocks are definately by CRP? Is the orientation wrong? They seem to be upside down

So my shocks are definately by CRP? Is the orientation wrong? They seem to be upside down

I just had a look at my vintage CRP's---definately not what you have. CRP's have a plastic lower end and a plastic collar. Also have plastic "standoffs" that space them outward from the bracket and suspension.

They are probably mounted up-side down because they were leaking.

I still say they are Parma or Bolink shocks??

I just had a look at my vintage CRP's---definately not what you have. CRP's have a plastic lower end and a plastic collar. Also have plastic "standoffs" that space them outward from the bracket and suspension.

They are probably mounted up-side down because they were leaking.

I still say they are Parma or Bolink shocks??

No, you're right - I actually have a set of the CRPs with the red plastic ends - Not anything like Dwayne's (Which I believe are Parma)

The 'upside-down' mounting was common with dampers of this era; Most lacked the tolerances to retain the oil otherwise.

I think the dampers you see on my Frog/Brat are most likely from a Marui kit, but of which I don't know. This is the way the buggy was given to me 14 years ago. :lol:

-Steve

Looks like early crp to me.I have a set identical and early shock towers were in fact

fiberglass.later they became plastic.the shock collars were metal also.every one back than

placed the shocks upside down.these are very early units.probley from 83' or 84'.

cheers,

skip

Looks like early crp to me.I have a set identical and early shock towers were in fact

fiberglass.later they became plastic.the shock collars were metal also.every one back than

placed the shocks upside down.these are very early units.probley from 83' or 84'.

cheers,

skip

I just saw another set of CRP towers for this car but in all red plastic. I think I'll keep these fiber ones and get new shocks,I'm not liking them very much. Can you guys recommend any other shocks I could use to replace these? Also looking at the stock frog there seems to be no front suspension at all,am I wrong? As I said before I have no experience when it comes to this car.

The towers look to be made by 'JG' or 'Race Prep'. Either way, they are unfortunately out of production unless you find them on Ebay.. There was another guy on Ebay (rob101a) who used to make modern hop-ups for the Frog. He had a great shock kit setup, but for some reason he is not listing any of his parts??

You can still find many of the CRP kit parts if you wanted to repair the front shock setup. I used a CRP kit when I built my Frog..

The towers look to be made by 'JG' or 'Race Prep'. Either way, they are unfortunately out of production unless you find them on Ebay.. There was another guy on Ebay (rob101a) who used to make modern hop-ups for the Frog. He had a great shock kit setup, but for some reason he is not listing any of his parts??

You can still find many of the CRP kit parts if you wanted to repair the front shock setup. I used a CRP kit when I built my Frog..

I have the CRP suspension arms NIP that I will be putting on this.This is what I am looking to get to replace what I have. At least it is new and I know it will work LOL. The suspension I have right now just seems to crude to keep on it and I may just sell it all instead of trying to rebuild it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Hi Dwayne -- save your money on those CRP shocks. They're awful. They look nice, but they bind and leak like crazy. Not worth the money. The CRP shock towers, however, are sturdy and affordable too. You can buy those separately at TeamCRP on ebay.

Steve

Now that I compare the two, I see that my towers are distinctly different than Dwayne's -- So does anyone know what we have here??

I'm not sure there buddy, they look the same to me, just mounted differently. Yours are mounted with the angled upper section facing to the outside of the car, the others are mounted with it facing towards each other.

I'm not sure there buddy, they look the same to me, just mounted differently. Yours are mounted with the angled upper section facing to the outside of the car, the others are mounted with it facing towards each other.

No, they're different - mine have an extra set of sight holes for the internal springs - Most likely the same maker as Dwayne's set, but with a slight revision. :(

BTW - The sight holes only line up with the towers oriented as you see above. The towers do fit if I flip them around, but the holes are partially obscured by the aluminum bracket it bolts to.

-Steve

I have an early NOS CRP set and they are identical to yours. Same towers and all aluminum shocks. If you decide to sell these, let em know. I want to build a duplicate runner of my shelf car.

Thanks!

I have an early NOS CRP set and they are identical to yours. Same towers and all aluminum shocks. If you decide to sell these, let em know. I want to build a duplicate runner of my shelf car.

Thanks!

NICE!

Would love to see a pic :(

I'd rather not sell mine as they've been with the buggy since it was built in the early 80s..

-Steve