ScottyNI

Ansmann Xbase Deluxe... Hows It Work

Sorry for another thread but anyone got one of these chargers?

In my day it was a long charge or a 30 mins pop it on and set it to half hour sorta charge...

jus plugged in the ansman and its giving me options... wat does one do?

the batt pack is a 6 cell 7.2v 3800mah Ni-MH

wat settings do i enter?

Sorry for another thread but anyone got one of these chargers?

In my day it was a long charge or a 30 mins pop it on and set it to half hour sorta charge...

jus plugged in the ansman and its giving me options... wat does one do?

the batt pack is a 6 cell 7.2v 3800mah Ni-MH

wat settings do i enter?

I have a Graupner Ultramat 14 Plus - I've been told that the Ultramat 14's (not the Plus) internals are used in the Ansmann XBase Deluxe. You have the Prog/Mode button on mine, and on the Ansmann it's called BATT TYPE as far as I can see on the pictures. You should have the NiCd battery type as standard. Pressing the Battery type button for 2 seconds should change the setting to NiMh, pressing it again another 2 seconds to LiPo, etc. When you have the right type, you can push it once (no holding the button) to change from an automatic to a manual charging setting. With the < DEC and INC > buttons you should be able to set up the amperage at which it charges, and for manual settings probably the power of the battery (mAh) and such things.

I hope it indeed works the same on your charger and that it will help you out a little :)

I've got one.

First step is tell it what sort of battery it's charging, in your case NiMH.

Second step is tell it the capacity of the pack, 3800mA

Third step, tell it the charging current you want ©. I think the general consensus is that it shouldn't be greater than the capacity of the pack. So the max you want is 3.8 amps. This will give you a charge time of about an hour.

The above is all done by pressing the enter button and the aleft right arrow buttons. Once you've done it once it will remember, so you don't have to do it again.

Finally connect your battery and hold the start button pressed to set it going. It'll beep once it's cooked.

thanks for the help guys....

mulsane i did that but it only took like 10-15 mins?

Had the pack already been charged/partially charged before? The Xbase detects when the pack is full, rather than charging for a preset time. The charger will tell you on the screen how many mA it'a actually put into the pack, but this is only on top of what's already in there. How hot is the pack when it's done?

If your certain the pack is discharged, try charging with a lower current, say 2 amps, in case the pack doesn't like such a high charge rate.

Failing that, your battery might be on it's way out, or the charger may even be faulty.

chargin deffo doesnt seem to take that long and likewise the batt life isnt great... few mins at best? anythin i shud be doing?

brand new... altho they are ebay items, even stil thought they would have lasted a little longer on a silver can

brand new... altho they are ebay items, even stil thought they would have lasted a little longer on a silver can

I would suspect the Ebay batteries myself. I've never used them but heard some bad things on here about the cheap ones. They may be "false peaking" if that's the right term. You could try charging them at a really low current, although if it works they'll take ages. Maybe you could try them on someone elses charger?...

There might be someone else on here who knows a bit more about the technical side of batteries who can help more.

If your convinced the batteries are OK there's always the chance the charger is faulty. I've been really impressed with my Xbase, and not had any problems with it.

i dont know anyone else locally thats into rc cars that cud even help me wi it... i suspect cheap batteries tbh

the ansmann does seem like a great piece of kit

might just have to buy some decent batts specially before i go for a ezrun setup :P

tis good avin the m02 runnin again tho i always had fun wi it in standard form!! bearing set and esc has made a good difference

Well, I wouldn't conclude the batteries are stuffed just yet.

Does the charger have a discharge mode? If so, compleatly discharge and then start a charge again on a 1A current... will take hours (up to 4) but will give you a good idea. Even if you can't discharge try a full 1A charge.

Try another charger as well if you can before discarding the batteries.

dont think it hasa discharge funciton :)

i';ll run em down as best i can and fire them on a vewry slow charge thanks for the help!!

if anyone knows of discharge function on it can they explain?

New batteries, whether good ones or cheap ones, can quite often false peak and they should settle down and charge properly after a few charge/discharge cycles. I also have a few old packs that will trip out my charger at around 300mah of charge, restarting the charger they will continue charging until fully charged.

You can tell if it has false peaked by feeling the battery when the charger switches off. If it is still cold restart the charger and it should continue charging. If the battery starts to feel warm then it is fully charged and should be ready to use.

If you want to discharge the pack as far as you need to, just run it around until the car stops moving. The battery voltage will now be as low as a discharger will take it.

dont think it hasa discharge funciton :)

i';ll run em down as best i can and fire them on a vewry slow charge thanks for the help!!

if anyone knows of discharge function on it can they explain?

Xbase that is 12V only has discharge, the one that can yun off 12V and mains doesn't for some reason.

well then they were rpetty much discharged then as the car jus died :)

havent had a chance to use it again since wi work etc, i'll try in a day or so :unsure: