Rich D

Painting Yellowed Wheels

Hi guys

Im currently restoring several Tamiya buggies. Some of the plastic wheel rims have gone yellow with age. Particularly my Vanquish and Sonic Fighter rims. Is it acceptable to paint the wheels with a fine mist of TS-26 to freshen them up. i didnt want to ruin them before asking thats all. I have the grey surface primer if thats needed too.

Your opinions most welcomed

cheers

TS paint is good for shelfqueen only. Because it is not flexible to withstand impact. For runner, I recommend PS spray paint instead.

TS paint is good for shelfqueen only. Because it is not flexible to withstand impact. For runner, I recommend PS spray paint instead.

Thankyou for the reply. I assumed that the PS paint wouldnt stick as the wheels are not polycarbonate ?

Which would give the best finish as i have both TS and PS in white. :)

My vintage Tamiyas will never be ran :unsure:

Cheers

Thankyou for the reply. I assumed that the PS paint wouldnt stick as the wheels are not polycarbonate ?

Which would give the best finish as i have both TS and PS in white. :)

My vintage Tamiyas will never be ran :unsure:

Cheers

PS will stick to hard plastic. But if not run, TS for sure.

Just remember that PS paints will have a flat finish, not glossy as the TS spays usually are. Also keep in mind that PS spray paints tend to be thicker, causing details on the rims to disappear.

I have painted yellowed rims with TS paints for some of my restorations (Audi and Ascona, if I remember correct) The rims look nice, but as RA1028 says, the paint will chip on a runner. But I think the PS paints will chip as well on runners...

The hard part of spraying the rims are getting the spray into every corner, without putting on too thick layers. Thin layers over and over again is the way to go, an knowing whe to stop is also important :)

-Lars

Hi guys

Im currently restoring several Tamiya buggies. Some of the plastic wheel rims have gone yellow with age. Particularly my Vanquish and Sonic Fighter rims. Is it acceptable to paint the wheels with a fine mist of TS-26 to freshen them up. i didnt want to ruin them before asking thats all. I have the grey surface primer if thats needed too.

Your opinions most welcomed

cheers

Try bleaching them.

try bleaching them.

Cheers for all the replies guys. I actually ordered new wheel sets for two of my models - the new wheelsets came yellowed on the stalks !

Has anyone tried the bleaching method with any success ?

Cheers for all the replies guys. I actually ordered new wheel sets for two of my models - the new wheelsets came yellowed on the stalks !

Has anyone tried the bleaching method with any success ?

I tried bleaching yellowed rims and it didn't do anything - I have sprayed many rims ( Scorcher / Mad Bull / Brat / Holiday Buggy etc) I use a clear plastic primer then spray the finish I want .I wouldn't use a gray primer for white finish as you would need to put a lot of paint on to cover it and as Lars said you could lose detail on the rims

I tried bleaching yellowed rims and it didn't do anything - I have sprayed many rims ( Scorcher / Mad Bull / Brat / Holiday Buggy etc) I use a clear plastic primer then spray the finish I want .I wouldn't use a gray primer for white finish as you would need to put a lot of paint on to cover it and as Lars said you could lose detail on the rims

Cheers Kev much appreciated !!

As regards to Humbrol enamel for plastic ; my son managed to stuff a 12 cell abs shelled Miss Budweiser Hydro into a brick at full speed (30 ish mph )and at 90 degrees, totally demolished the thing but it didn't have one chip in the paint!, (shell was rubbed down with 1200 grit and enamel applied straight onto the plastic, no primer.)

Swear by the stuff