Sign in to follow this  
ldgasp

Tlu-01 Light Unit

Hello all,

I Just purchases an XB RX-7 which came with a Tlu-01 light unit. Anyone know how to get lights to flash with it? I have seen videos of people hooking it up so the brake lights come on and turn signals work when turned. Anyone know how to do this?

Thx,

Don

You need the Tlu-02 light unit to make the Tlu-01 do flashes/brakes/turn signals etc, the Tlu-01 is just lights on/off as far as i'm aware

Hi Don,

The TLU01 doesn't have any circuitry to make the LEDs flash.

You need the TLU02 in combination with the TLU01 to get that kind of functionality.

Here is the TLU02 product link from the Tamiya USA site: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=53937

The TLU02 works with one or two TLU01s to control up to 16 pairs of LEDs (32 total LEDs).

The TLU02 is the brains and the TLU01 is just a box with a bunch of connectors and power

regulators. A wire harness going from the TLU02 to the TLU01 controls which LEDs on the TLU01

turn on and off. The TLU02 has extra connectors on it to go in between the receiver and the steering servo and ESC

so it can detect when you are turning, braking, reversing and signal the LEDs accordingly.

I use a TLU02 and two TLU01s to control all of the lights on my Tamiya Toyota HiLux High Lift.

The lights I have installed in the truck include:

2 white front headlights.

2 white front-corner lights (flanking the headlights).

2 white fog lights under the front grill (mounted on the front bumper).

2 amber front turn signal lights in the bumper.

2 amber front-side-marker fender lights.

5 white fog lights on the top rollbar in the truck bed (the 6th LED is hidden and masked under the bed (all lights are in pairs)).

2 red rear-side-marker fender lights.

4 red rear taillights (2 on each side).

2 white rear backup lights.

2 amber rear turn signal lights.

Basic Operational Behaviors:

All four turn signals flash (like hazard lights) after vehicle is stopped (idle) longer than 4 seconds or so. Using the throttle will automatically stop the flashing.

Left or Right turn signal lights can be flashed by turning the wheels slightly in that direction while stopped. Using the throttle will automatically stop the flashing.

It is not possible to signal a turn like in a real vehicle while moving.

Brake lights come on (4 red taillights go to full brightness) when braking (pulling back on throttle).

Reverse lights come on with the 2nd pull-back on the stick (1st pull-back is brakes, 2nd is reverse, which matches some ESC behavior).

There are 4 running modes I can choose from (using a button on the TLU02) based on how I programmed the TLU02 and where I plugged in the LEDs on each TLU01.

The operation of the lights was the best combination I could come up with given the limitations of the TLU01 and TLU02 and the programming within.

Mode 1: "Daytime mode": No lights are on by default. Only turn signals and brake lights and reverse lights operate as described in Basic Operational Behaviors.

Mode 2: "Parking light mode": White front-corner lights and front bumper fog lights are on, but only at half brightness. Front- and rear-side-marker lights are on. Rear taillights are on half brightness except when braking (full brightness). Turn signals and brake lights and reverse lights operate as described in Basic Operational Behaviors.

Mode 3: "Normal night mode": All front-facing white lights are on full brightness except for the rollbar fog lights. Only the middle rollbar fog light is on. Rear taillights are on at half brightness. Turn signals and brake lights and reverse lights operate as described in Basic Operational Behaviors.

Mode 4: "Maximum light mode: All lights are on at full brightness except rear taillights. Rear taillights are on at half brightness. Turn signals and brake lights and reverse lights operate as described in Basic Operational Behaviors.

Due to the number of lights installed plus limitations to the design of the TLU02 and TLU01 in combination with the way that I programmed it, under full throttle the front headlights and front-corner lights flash quickly.

Ideally I wouldn't want this to happen, but I do not have a choice.

Overall I really like the lights, however the total cost of everything was rather expensive.

There are various other operational modes built in to the TLU02, include some rather crazy flashing sequences that resemble emergency vehicles. It is fun to experiment.

Hope this description helps you,

- Brian

thx for the input. With the price of the tlu02, I think I am happy with the tlu01.lol

• Like 1

So you do not need a 3ch radio or receiver for the light functions?

Right, there is no need for a third channel.

The third channel on my truck controls the 3-speed gearbox, but it does not go through the TLU02 like steering/throttle.

If you were making some sort of "emergency vehicle" or something with lightbars and stuff, then maybe the third channel could be used to plug into the TLU02's throttle input connector and used to activate different light flashing speeds from the transmitter's 3rd channel control method, but I haven't tried that. The amount of control given to the radio connector inputs is very limited. The results probably wouldn't be worth it.

Selecting the TLU02 mode of operation is done through pushbuttons that must be pressed manually. You might be able to have a 3rd channel servo do the button-pressing for you in order to select the mode via transmitter, but I think it would be dicey to design since the button is momentary (and holding it down activates another function on the TLU02).

I bought the TLU02 and two TLU01s on my truck because the MFC-02 isn't compatible with my radio system (Futaba 3UCP PCM). Plus, the MFC-02 is extremely expensive.

That's great info you've given us there. I'll be getting a couple light unit controllers to put into my car and your info is very helpful thanks.

From the advertising blurb, I gather that the TLU-01 contains a "booster to ensure that the connected LEDs operate at full brightness."

Anybody know how many volts the TLU-01 puts out to its LED connections?