raysan

Hong Kong Hobby Shops

Hi,

I'm thinking of going to Hong Kong for the weekend as i live in Shanghai. Does anybody know where i can find the best hobby shops? I'm looking for Tamiya kits and parts, hop-ups too.

Can somebody help me with things like where to go, what shops have the best service/range of products?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

Thanks that's a good start, i've been t the one here in Shanghai quite often, i should have thought of them myself. Does anybody know of some more?

Ohhh, Hong Kong is my favourite place in the world, every time I go there I come back with a bunch of kits,

Waigo Hobby is good but there are cheaper shops within 10 minutes walk, The place you want to be is in MongKok, Kwong Wa Street is where most of the shops are and in the Yan On Building. You can find pretty much anything Tamiya, Kyosho, etc, etc, it's all there.... :lol: I have been to Hong Kong 9 times and I still take 3 days to look around in every store, ohh man I wish I was going back soon :(

Yau Ma Tei & Mong Kok Stations are the closest, The night markets are right there too, they call it the ladies markets, lots of clothes and bags, etc

Here is a link to Google maps, Dundas Street, Kwong Wha & Yin Chong are the streets you want to look around. Waigo Hobby is south on the other side of the Hospital on Tung Fong Street, you can walk down Waterloo Rd to get there, it's close to the A2 Exit of Yau Ma Tei MTR Station.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sou...009602&z=17

Allow yourself lots of time to explore, lots of money and baggage space, hahahha :D

Here are some photos I took of my last trip, most of these are on Kwong Wa Street:

SDC10056.jpg

SDC10057.jpg

SDC10058.jpg

SDC10059.jpg

SDC10060.jpg

SDC10051.jpg

Hope this helps :D

Dan

pagedm_f350 info is correct. But check out all the stores first and note the prices before buying and ask for a better deal. The transaction will be based on cash and if you use your credit card, likely no better deal plus the store may charge you an additional 2 - 4% for their bank charges. Of all the shops shown by pagedm, TQ has good selections and Harmony Model i found is more expensive, but you just have to find out yourself and see which shop you like to deal with.

Keep in mind English could be limited.

Thanks a lot for the replies, this is exactly the sort of information i'm looking for. I'll be there for a weekend so hopefully i'll find some interesting stuff to buy. Its always good seeing hobby shops in different places and seeing things you wouldn't normally find in the local shops. This info should help pinpoint an area to target.

Thanks again

Cheers

. I'll be there for a weekend so hopefully i'll find some interesting stuff to buy. Cheers

On weekends most of the shops don't open after 1:00pm and can't do window shopping as most shops windows are covered with metal roller blinds so you won't see much. But shops are open on Sat. and Sun till 8:00 or 9:00 pm.

Buy Tamiya parts in Waigo, they have the most complete selection. But don't buy complete kits there.

pagedm_f350 info is correct. Of all the shops shown by pagedm, TQ has good selections and Harmony Model i found is more expensive, but you just have to find out yourself and see which shop you like to deal with.

Keep in mind English could be limited.

Let me retrack the above Harmony Model shop prices are find and good selection of Kyosho. Is Challenge shop (roller shutters shut, shop beside Action Hobbies) has bit higher price but good selections of other makes and layout.

On weekends most of the shops don't open after 1:00pm and can't do window shopping as most shops windows are covered with metal roller blinds so you won't see much. But shops are open on Sat. and Sun till 8:00 or 9:00 pm.

Not all shops are open on sunday.. GPM is closed for sure, you're better off going on saturday, waigo has a great collection but is a fair bit more expensive than the shops in kwong wa street.. Going there again in November :lol:

Thanks for the info, i'll be down there by lunch on Wednesday and looking forwards to checking the place out.

Well Hong Kong was great, even better than i expected. It's definately an RC fan's paradise and all of the shops i went to were in an easy walking distance. I have a list a mile long of all the things i'll get next time. I was very tempted to take a big rig with me too but the appartment is already getting pretty full. The new Tamiya kits are on the shelves but this was a Buggy Champ Mission and it was a huge success. Plus i've now got enought stuff to finish off the GT-01 Porche, the HPI cup racer my TT-01 rally project and a Christmas for a few other cars in my collection. Good advice on the shop locations, thanks.

post-25454-1254121947_thumb.jpg

No wonder I couldn't find any buggy champ over the weekend! You purchased all from the same shop? and care to tell us the name of the shop?

The shop was TQ Racing Model,but there were several in other shops around aswell, TQ had 1 left after i was there on Thursday. Here is a pic of one in the window, this shop was inside the building across the road from TQ Racing Model.

DSC08219rs.jpg

post-25454-1254190603_thumb.jpg

The shop was TQ Racing Model,but there were several in other shops around aswell, TQ had 1 left after i was there on Thursday. Here is a pic of one in the window, this shop was inside the building across the road from TQ Racing Model.

This makes me home-sick for Hong Kong, I love it there :blink:

This makes me home-sick for Hong Kong, I love it there :D

Is great when you visit any free-port or tax free places and shop till you drop or unit your credit cards are max'ed out, but once you return home and face Customs a) do you declaring everything and pay dearly or :) declare some and hope not to get search and the feeling of being a crook for just trying to save some of your hard earn money. :(

The down side living in Hong Kong is that you can almost bring anything in without the worry of paying duties or Customs but you have no place to put it in your home. A 1000 sq ft home is really 700sq ft. the developers here some how can include outside wall common area, stairwell as part of your living ares. Is real con here when it comes to living space.

Is great when you visit any free-port or tax free places and shop till you drop or unit your credit cards are max'ed out, but once you return home and face Customs a) do you declaring everything and pay dearly or :) declare some and hope not to get search and the feeling of being a crook for just trying to save some of your hard earn money. :(

The down side living in Hong Kong is that you can almost bring anything in without the worry of paying duties or Customs but you have no place to put it in your home. A 1000 sq ft home is really 700sq ft. the developers here some how can include outside wall common area, stairwell as part of your living ares. Is real con here when it comes to living space.

It's not just the shopping I miss, I have spent a fair bit of time in Hong Kong and Taiwan over the last 7 years and I really love the people and the culture. I am always amazed at how much stock people jam into the shops, I love it :D

Oh and not once coming back to Australia have I ever been hit with customs, and I declare everything :lol:

Oh and not once coming back to Australia have I ever been hit with customs, and I declare everything :)

You are not buying enough...don't let it happen again next time you are here in Hong Kong or Singapore. :(

couple of those 1:16 tanks, few of the 1:14 trucks and trailors, plus the new 3 spd, a hot shot, and the re-release RR should put you over the limit. if not, are you into airsoft or helicopters?....you can go crazy with those guns and choppers :D

You are not buying enough...don't let it happen again next time you are here in Hong Kong or Singapore. :(

couple of those 1:16 tanks, few of the 1:14 trucks and trailors, plus the new 3 spd, a hot shot, and the re-release RR should put you over the limit. if not, are you into airsoft or helicopters?....you can go crazy with those guns and choppers :)

Hahahahah, you might be right :D this was my last trip to HK:

SDC10107.jpg